09-27-12 02:23 PM
231 ... 8910
tools
    I found the same style case on eBay for $16 shipped from China.
    It's red and made of genuine Chinese goat vinyl.

I've had it for a few months and it's still holding up well. Haven't seen them on eBay since though.
    Count yourself lucky then: Had it been genuine leather, it might have been Chinese goat foreskin...
    09-19-12 08:52 AM
    I did buy that case!!!

I was also looking for the Carbon, Blurex, Brookstone, etc. in Canada. The one I got from casebazaar took forever to arrive. When it did, I was surprised since it appears to be a Blurex case. Of course, it might just say Blurex and still be a knock off. It has the Blurex logo and came in a Blurex box, so who knows if it is real. It was listed for $20.00, but the images are exactly the same. It is a sort of pebbled matte black. All the cut outs are there and the fit is perfect. I hope you get the same case, as I. Think you will be happy with it.

Wow, I thought I'd finally found the perfect case, only to realize Icon doesn't make it anymore. But no problem, Blurex makes them!... No, not anymore either.
    Oh but wait, Brookstone.com has one that's exactly the same! Finally! So I call them to place an order, since I'm in Canada. It turns out that the 15$ case, with UPS shipping and brokerage fees, will cost 60$ !!! (And I don't know how much more for customs.)

At this point, I'm starting to think there is an international conspiracy against my getting this case.

Anyways, I finally found this one on amazon.ca, made by casebazaar : Black Leather Portfolio Case With Multi-angle Stand Black for Blackberry Playbook Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

There are no reviews and the pictures don't reveal much, but I ordered it anyway, hoping it's the same as the icon/blurex, and hoping it's good quality.
    Has anyone ever bought this one ?...

In any case, this type of clip case seems just perfect, and offers exactly the features that I want:
    • It makes the tablet less conspicuous when I carry it in my hand or when I take it out in public transports

• I can pretty much always leave the tablet in, so as to offer some protection in case I drop it

• It shuts close, so it doesn't open if it falls or if it is loose in a bag

• All ports and the camera are available even if the case is closed

• It can double as a stand and allows the tablet to be plugged at the same time

• It doesn't obstruct the area around the screen

I just hope it's the real deal.

Finally, I thought it could interest someone here still looking for a clip case. I'll come back to review when I receive it.
    09-19-12 12:10 PM
    I did buy that case!!!

I was also looking for the Carbon, Blurex, Brookstone, etc. in Canada. The one I got from casebazaar took forever to arrive. When it did, I was surprised since it appears to be a Blurex case. Of course, it might just say Blurex and still be a knock off. It has the Blurex logo and came in a Blurex box, so who knows if it is real. It was listed for $20.00, but the images are exactly the same. It is a sort of pebbled matte black. All the cut outs are there and the fit is perfect. I hope you get the same case, as I. Think you will be happy with it.
    You know, the way things work today, they're almost certainly all the exact same case: Blurex logo or not. Some factory in China keeps pumping them out. Then some Western electronics or suitcase retailer stumbles upon them and decides to buy a bunch. Since it's Playbook, they end up not selling that many and don't buy them again once they're out. Then some other retailer stumbles upon them again and they reappear with a different name, on a different Website.

Thanks for your comment. My hopes are up.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 09-19-12 at 01:26 PM.
    09-19-12 01:08 PM
    I haven't bough stuff online from across the border that often. I've never been hit by surprise fees upon delivery so far. But this time I wasn't sure. Now I hope this is real:
    eBay Guides - Shipping to Canada via the United States Postal Service

FORMS & FEES:

NOTE on Brokerage Fees (there are none): Because USPS & CanadaPost have long standing agreements to handle each other's mail, brokers' fees are NEVER charged. EXPENSIVE BROKERS FEES MUST be CHARGED BY MOST OTHER COURIER/SHIPPING SERVICES. BUT NOT USPS or CANADA POST! :-)
    Brookstone's 15$ case was going to be shipped via UPS which, the lady warned me, would cost an additional 15$ for shipping, plus brokerage fees and taxes. I called UPS who informed me that brokerage alone would be 30$. (I'm rounding up the numbers a bit.)
    So I was now out 60$, before possible custom taxes, for a 15$ piece of vinyl, which I thought was ridiculous.

Without checking, I ordered the other case that I found on amazon.ca; not amazon.com: I assumed that I'd be forewarned if the fact that I ordered from Canada, on a Canadian site, was to include such additional border fees. I proceeded to check out with no mention of them anywhere. I figured the shipper might be from Canada too and so that wasn't relevant.
    Then today I got a tracking message where I finally learned that it had shipped from Tennessee... And I also learned that it would come with USPS.

I browsed the topic and found many confusing messages. But the Ebay guide above seems to be quite clear about brokerage with USPS: There is none.
    I'm not 100% sure about taxes, but most people on different forums report never getting a surprise bill at their door.

So if all goes well, I'll have paid 30$ for the case and 6$ for shipping, instead of 60$+
    And now I know to always ship through USPS + Canada Post.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 09-20-12 at 11:39 PM.
    09-20-12 11:19 PM
    I have always ensured purchases coming from the USA are sent via USPS/Canada post. As a result, I have never been surprised by additional brokerage fees.
    09-21-12 11:06 AM
    So it finally shipped today. Great case! It is, after all, the Blurex one, or so that's what's written on it. It works exactly as advertised, and it is both useful as a stand as as a carrying and protection envelope. Plus it's made of actual leather, which means it should last longer than if it had been vinyl, as I expected it would be.

I'm very glad I ordered this one over any OEM case: This case seems to have all the right features for carrying, visioning, recharging, protection, etc. (Now I wish I could find more PB apps that are as full featured...)
    Just too bad that they are so rare: The place I ordered it from fell out of stock a few days ago as well. For those who want one, I guess that leaves Brookstone.com .
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 09-27-12 at 02:29 PM.
    09-27-12 02:23 PM
231 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD