I have downloaded many apps that don't work and many that are just stupid. What happened to Quality of Quantity RIM??? I thought that I would like the Increases but turns out its a bunch of crap, reminds me of the Android Market, Wait a min lol. I try and find a simple Notes app and what crap pops up, I don't need 100 note apps. RIM pick the 10 best of one kind and release those and keep it simple. I don't know why Apps are what holds share in a market. My 2 favorite OS's is BlackBerry and Nokia Symbian the 2 OS's that have the least amount of apps lol. I hope that BB10 has no Android Player, We want QUALITY not DROID
    fanatical likes this.
    10-12-12 01:17 AM
    RIM gave a free PB to anyone who wrote an app.
    10-12-12 02:08 AM
    Oh have you been to the iTunes or Google Play app stores to compare?

...I thought not.

They are a lot worse.
    JRAtk027 and rotorwrench like this.
    10-12-12 02:21 AM
    Oh have you been to the iTunes or Google Play app stores to compare?

...I thought not.

They are a lot worse.
    Irrelevant. The lack of quality control for all things BlackBerry these days is annoying. I am thankful I bought a BlackBerry PlayBook at initial launch so as the few high-quality applications came into BlackBerry AppWorld I was able to find them, download them, and as appropriate pay for these applications.
    10-12-12 02:32 AM
    Best part is if you don't like an app, for any reason delete and move on to something better,matter of choice.
    DC506 and dave1701 like this.
    10-12-12 10:44 AM
    I love following the feedback for the 'Period Calculator'.

I haven't installed it myself of course.

However, I think RIM feel under the cosh to bump up its app store numbers. It's something that's very much under scrutiny and so I think a lot of trash is getting a free pass at the moment.

Even in the past month I've been a user I've seen a lot of junk appear.

It's a numbers game. As I've always said, if you want to know the true number of useful apps in any app store just divide the total number by 1000.
    10-12-12 10:46 AM
    Irrelevant. The lack of quality control for all things BlackBerry these days is annoying. I am thankful I bought a BlackBerry PlayBook at initial launch so as the few high-quality applications came into BlackBerry AppWorld I was able to find them, download them, and as appropriate pay for these applications.
    Such as the Web launchers and multiple clones are simple apps?

RIM has posted do their guidelines. If an app is a POS, but still passes the guideline check,it goes into AppWorld.

To get better apps, we now have the 10k incentive.

You turned out to be such a disgruntled user in the end. :/ I am sorry for that. Go out, smell the flowers. There is more to the world than phones.

Oh, and I don't think they can control Handster's android flood... I am still looking for one usefully app from them.
    zorecati likes this.
    10-13-12 09:29 AM
    each to their own I suppose. the op does have a point in some respect, for some of the paid apps do appear quite meager and underdeveloped in comparison with free varients on either android and ios. plus I don't think its right when apps are free on android, but a pb conversion costs, of which there are a few examples in appworld.

however the comment about removing android runtime, please speak for yourself. the ability to sideload tons of good quality android apps, and now have run natively in separate windows, is somewhat of a gamechanger. you can have your cake and eat it after all.
    10-13-12 09:36 AM
    There are different apps with things that differentiate them from the next competitor: certain apps work better than others or work better with other apps someone else has, different UI elements and so on and so on. IMHO I think there are really 100 really useful apps that anyone can use anyways.
    10-13-12 09:37 AM
    Not sure how it's irrelevant. Look at any tablet platform and the ratio of poo to gold will be roughly the same. We just get less of both. I have bought apps for my android tab that actually caused me to throw up a little in my mouth, they were so bad.

On another note, has anyone noticed the complete lack of quality fart apps?
    10-13-12 09:41 AM
    Not sure how it's irrelevant. Look at any tablet platform and the ratio of poo to gold will be roughly the same. We just get less of both. I have bought apps for my android tab that actually caused me to throw up a little in my mouth, they were so bad.

On another note, has anyone noticed the complete lack of quality fart apps?
    Worse here as a result of RIM giving a PB away for any app. Search countdown. Trivial functionality times 32. Some even want money.

Just searched fart: Fart maker, Fart concert, Mega fart, Motion fart, Fart furz, Just fart, Fart fanfare, Fart piano, Fart machine, Fart sounds, FartPig, Mega fart, Fart guru, Unicorn fart surprise PRO...

List goes on, but have to go buy Fart piano and Unicorn fart surprise pro. Only a buck each. Quality.
    zorecati likes this.
    10-13-12 01:06 PM
    Worse here as a result of RIM giving a PB away for any app. Search countdown. Trivial functionality times 32. Some even want money.

Just searched fart: Fart maker, Fart concert, Mega fart, Motion fart, Fart furz, Just fart, Fart fanfare, Fart piano, Fart machine, Fart sounds, FartPig, Mega fart, Fart guru, Unicorn fart surprise PRO...

List goes on, but have to go buy Fart piano and Unicorn fart surprise pro. Only a buck each. Quality.
    Thank you for checking on those apps for me
    10-13-12 05:27 PM
    The E-BOOKS and the apps made from AppGenerator are the WORST apps i have ever seen!!!

Is more worse than those fart apps in app store and google play.

It has always been quantity over quality for RIM.
    10-13-12 05:36 PM

Oh, and I don't think they can control Handster's android flood... I am still looking for one usefully app from them.
    If I see "Handster", I move on. Just crap.
    10-13-12 09:34 PM
    You mean they don't all have a ton of crap in them? Sure they do, just the others have more good ones too.
    10-13-12 09:39 PM
    I can't speak for iTunes (don't have an iPad or a iPhone to search their apps), but Google Play... well Google Play is far worse in terms of junk apps.

Allowing the Android apps was a double edge sword, but I think it sadly had to be done. Generally the crap apps are the Android apps, but people wanted *quantity*. People B**ched and complained about the lack of apps, and now they have the quantity, but also the quality of Android apps. For me and others, all that did was clutter App World, but for a lot of people and journalists, it give them an arbitrary number they felt was so very important.

Thats what I personally think about it, but I hope that when BB10 is released they will have enough quality native apps that they can shove the Android apps into its own little category (but not delete all of them! There maybe a time I need a fart app, sexy woman app, or a monotoned app with cheap and generic grey buttons that will use up all my device's memory while doing its simple task).

10-13-12 10:23 PM
    You know for months the disgruntled membership screamed "NOT ENOUGH APPS! WE NEED MORE APPS! There was no demand for quality apps - except for the few that will remain nameless. There were also cries of "We need angry birds! We need more games!

Bottom line ... you got 'em! Be careful what you wish for.

I've found several highly useful apps for my PB and I've managed to avoid downloading some of the less robust apps. I have deleted those that I didn't like or use. Easy. I'm left with the useful apps. Don't see what the big deal here is. There are crap apps in all platforms, because presumably someone somewhere just has to have it!

You can't hurl stones at RIM for giving you the "more apps" you've been screaming for! As I said, be careful what you wish for.
    10-13-12 10:57 PM
    Best part is if you don't like an app, for any reason delete and move on to something better,matter of choice.
    Hardly. BlackBerry AppWorld provides no way to permanently remove an application from the installed/uninstalled history. If you download 200 applications, delete 199 application, the uninstalled list reports all 199 applications. If you buy another BlackBerry PlayBook or have to perform a security wipe of your current tablet and want to reinstall that one application you have to wade through most of the other 199 deleted applications. Hardly an optimal user experience. There should be a way to permanently remove an entry from the uninstalled history.
    FF22, BerryClever and playbookpa like this.
    10-13-12 11:27 PM
    You turned out to be such a disgruntled user in the end. :/ I am sorry for that.
    Do not presume to know my state of mind concerning the BlackBerry PlayBook. I use it daily mostly despite the dearth of productive professional applications. For the developers whose applications I use daily no amount of "thank you" would be sufficient to express my gratitude. Yet in the grand scheme of BlackBerry AppWorld for the BlackBerry PlayBook the majority of applications are games, public domain e-books disguised as applications, or otherwise of no use to anyone interested in educational applications and/or productivity applications. Every week we read announcements about new games but never heard about any real applications. You, sir, presume too much.

As an early adopter of the BlackBerry PlayBook I have lived through its lifecycle to date. Therefore, I speak as someone whose support for both this product and the corporate entity behind this under-appreciated tablet in saying my support continues to be pushed to the limit.
    10-13-12 11:42 PM
    Hardly. BlackBerry AppWorld provides no way to permanently remove an application from the installed/uninstalled history. If you download 200 applications, delete 199 application, the uninstalled list reports all 199 applications. If you buy another BlackBerry PlayBook or have to perform a security wipe of your current tablet and want to reinstall that one application you have to wade through most of the other 199 deleted applications. Hardly an optimal user experience. There should be a way to permanently remove an entry from the uninstalled history.
    actually,in appworld 4.0 beta you CAN permanently delete uninstalled apps.
    playbookpa likes this.
    10-13-12 11:47 PM
    Not sure how it's irrelevant. Look at any tablet platform and the ratio of poo to gold will be roughly the same. We just get less of both.
    We were told the BlackBerry PlayBook was a professional-grade tablet for people whom get things done. As such I expected a higher standard from the applications accepted into BlackBerry AppWorld. As I said many times there are a handful of applications, some free and some paid, which exemplify a high standard for quality and utility; these applications have been on my tablet practically since those applications were available in BlackBerry AppWorld. These developers deserve better than to see their applications buried under a mountain of ill-conceived "applications." An honest cost appraisal of the handful of applications installed on my tablet is approximately CAD25.00 (actual purchase price not including free applications) yet would be worth closer to CAD125.00 in terms of their value to me.
    10-13-12 11:55 PM
    Perfect. Thank you for the heads-up. This has been a top-5 request for lots of users. I look forward to the release of BlackBerry AppWorld 4.0; in the meantime I refrain from running beta software on my tablet.
    10-13-12 11:58 PM
    Bb9,you can get the betaon your phone by going to blackberry betazone.
    10-14-12 12:04 AM
    Is this beta App World available for the PlayBook (I don't have a BB phone yet)? If so, how do I get and install it? I would love to remove my accidental apps I downloaded from history (ie thought it could be native and it wasn't).
    10-14-12 12:14 AM
    No,just for the phone.
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-14-12 12:19 AM
37 12