Recently, my PlayBook stopped connecting to wifi or to my BB over bridge. When I connected to my PC over USB, Desktop Manager said the Playbook needed an OS upgrade (although I had the most recent), and proceeded to return my Playbook to the original factory condition.

In addition to the PITA reinstalling all my applications, all the media files were wiped out except for the default PlayBook files. Mostly, this is just a pain because I have to resync to my desktop and retransfer, but for a few files this is catastrophic as they only existed on the PlayBook - videos of my daughter singing at a recital for example.

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover lost files from the PlayBook?
    09-01-11 04:25 PM
    Unfortunately, if you did not back them up yourself or using Desktop Manager they are gone. Obviously, this may be late advice but you should manually backup such files yourself periodically or often if you have captured something unique.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-01-11 05:03 PM
    Hi My Playbook did the same thing last night. Plugged it in to an updated BD and it reloaded the Playbook and killed 2 weeks of work along with a week of personal pictures and video. I back up my Playbook daily except it stopped connecting to my Windows 7 machine a week ago and voila - here i am.
    it sounds like RIM has an issue here. open for suggestions.
    10-11-11 07:58 AM
    I ever you encounter problemwith BB desktop software an wish to backup your work before applying an action that will result in "return to factory default", try to use the wifi or usb connexion and just drag/drop the media folder.

@ mwbernhardt & Adventure boy : sorry for your losses.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-11-11 08:48 AM
    I tried both multiple times. The Playbook would simply not connect to either WiFi or USB making it impossible to back up the files. Then after over a week of trying to resolve the problem, BD decided to wipe the Playbook killing everything. Not nice.
    10-14-11 08:24 AM
    blackberry has a problem with there software! i lots precious photos because of this stupid upgrade!
    09-27-13 04:19 PM
    I am truly sorry to hear you lost some of your digital memories thru this. Yes, there does seem to be some issue all of a sudden with connecting to pc's with a few folks around here with this "update".......

What I have found is that whenever there is an upgrade (OS or even an App), I do a "backup", more in reality a copy, and connect via USB
    and Drag/Drop to copy files I cannot lose if the PB goes wonky. I don't "sync", I just drag and drop thru Windows Explorer.

I haven't tried to connect to my PC since the update, I will try this when I get home this eve.

When there is a wifi issue first reset the playbook , and if that doesn't work, reset the router. That takes care of 95 percent of the issues.
    As to the remaining 5 percent: BB are you listening???????

c
    09-27-13 05:00 PM
    I tried both multiple times. The Playbook would simply not connect to either WiFi or USB making it impossible to back up the files. Then after over a week of trying to resolve the problem, BD decided to wipe the Playbook killing everything. Not nice.
    Hey here's a thing to try with a new mobile device.

FIRST Take half a dozen photos and add a couple of documents. Do a backup. Test the restore. Be confident it works. Set up a backup reminder in your mobile device calendar to back up every week. Sync photos to the computer or copy to cloud.

THEN you can store thousands of irreplaceable photos and documents on it. The other way round is risky.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-27-13 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD