I guess bottom line: The pb and its current OS did not gracefully handle the "big meal deal" I flung at it the other night. I can accept that it might have locked up or refused to run apps until it was rebooted. But I don't think that shoving too much file at it should have led to the melt-down that killed the HOMESCREEN Folders.

I added that to the original message - it was not the directory or folder/subfolder structure where files are stored but it was the Folders that store ICONS on the homescreen and subsidiary panels/panes that were gone.
    04-17-13 11:56 AM
    I guess bottom line: The pb and its current OS did not gracefully handle the "big meal deal" I flung at it the other night. I can accept that it might have locked up or refused to run apps until it was rebooted. But I don't think that shoving too much file at it should have led to the melt-down that killed the HOMESCREEN Folders.

I added that to the original message - it was not the directory or folder/subfolder structure where files are stored but it was the Folders that store ICONS on the homescreen and subsidiary panels/panes that were gone.
    Another factor, is the native filesystem for the PlayBook is abstracted from either USB or WiFi access (WiFi access looks, effectively, wrapped with SAMBA / cifs).

I think it's fair comment that filling a filesystem on this sort of device and strange things will happen, my comment to s_o_m was more about the "insufficient memory" comment.
    04-17-13 12:05 PM
    Another factor, is the native filesystem for the PlayBook is abstracted from either USB or WiFi access (WiFi access looks, effectively, wrapped with SAMBA / cifs).

I think it's fair comment that filling a filesystem on this sort of device and strange things will happen, my comment to s_o_m was more about the "insufficient memory" comment.
    I'm damned if I do, and I damned if I don't?
    Attached Thumbnails Lost all folders after trying to move too large video-10533cartoon_monstershrek_-5-_768-1280.jpg  
    04-17-13 01:30 PM
    I'm damned if I do, and I damned if I don't?
    No, merely memory != storage.

The two are different - which I'm sure you know. A tablet that runs out of storage may still have plenty of available RAM - just like a "real" OS. And weird shit may occur. But a tablet, nor "real" OS runs out of memory, because it's storage is full. That's what I responded to, because that's what you wrote.
    04-17-13 01:45 PM
    No, merely memory != storage.

The two are different - which I'm sure you know. A tablet that runs out of storage may still have plenty of available RAM - just like a "real" OS. And weird shit may occur. But a tablet, nor "real" OS runs out of memory, because it's storage is full. That's what I responded to, because that's what you wrote.
    Whatever = dwibble!
    04-17-13 02:58 PM
    Whatever = dwibble!
    That's pronounced "wibble".

The D is silent.
    04-17-13 03:09 PM
    That's pronounced "wibble".

The D is silent.
    Not in your case! Google it. Oh and would it be possible for you to stay withing the technical aspects of the thread please?
    04-17-13 03:24 PM
    Not in your case! Google it. Oh and would it be possible for you to stay withing the technical aspects of the thread please?
    Eh? The fumes that potent?

You snipped all the technical bits to write "dwibble"?

You're doing that incoherent thing again.

More water, less booze. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A stitch in time saves nine.
    04-17-13 03:35 PM
    And to almost bring this back: Avidemux worked for concatenating (how's that for a large word) the file but that still does not excuse the OS for hosing my Icon folders!
    04-17-13 06:01 PM
    A while back I used windows movie maker to compile a bunch of short clips. Its in Windows 7 not sure if it is in older Windows. Fairly painless process and allowed me to add some music in parts without sound.
    04-17-13 06:33 PM
    A while back I used windows movie maker to compile a bunch of short clips. Its in Windows 7 not sure if it is in older Windows. Fairly painless process and allowed me to add some music in parts without sound.
    Not on my Vista unit. Does it work and play well with mp4 files?
    04-17-13 09:11 PM
    It should- that is both play nice with mp4 files and be part of vista: If you really don't have it, maybe try here Download Windows Movie Maker 2.6 from Official Microsoft Download Center
    04-17-13 09:57 PM
    I am reluctant to add to my initial concerns. But I think that something else may have been bollixed up. At least, I think that my pb is slower when launching certain apps. I can definitely see it with Words W/ Friends. I don't think it is my imagination. I will try another reboot and a Restart later but right now I'm watching Grimm on my tv hooked to the pb. Maybe it's a Grimm gremlin!
    04-17-13 11:06 PM
    That will almost certainly re-encode audio and quite possibly video, which will take time, and depending on the settings and / or defaults, may radically change the size of the output file (in comparison to the source) - which is what happened to F2.
    04-18-13 02:16 AM
    I have windows vista premium and movie maker is on my version of vista. It's simple to use and good. If it's part of vista you should be able to download it from the Microsoft site.
    04-18-13 08:05 AM
    I have windows vista premium and movie maker is on my version of vista. It's simple to use and good. If it's part of vista you should be able to download it from the Microsoft site.
    wait what .....vista ? I just got hit with windows 2000 blast from the past
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-18-13 08:25 AM
    Beats windows vista hands down.
    04-18-13 08:28 AM
    Beats windows vista hands down.
    time to make the jump to windows 7 its the new xp
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-18-13 08:32 AM
    time to make the jump to windows 7 its the new xp
    Shhhhhhhhhh and get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!
    04-18-13 08:37 AM
    That will almost certainly re-encode audio and quite possibly video, which will take time, and depending on the settings and / or defaults, may radically change the size of the output file (in comparison to the source) - which is what happened to F2.
    Actually, found it on my system but it would not load the mp4 file(s). Forgot the error. But YAMB has worked as did Avidemux. I actually used YAMB last night to quickly add "Here comes the Sun" to my Solar Installation video - took a few seconds. Of course, I've been billed this morning by the surviving Beattles a Million Dollars for using their tune!!!
    04-18-13 08:39 AM
    You know - I've never had any particular problem with it. Call me Retro, it goes with the inherent Grouch in me.
    04-18-13 08:40 AM
    You know - I've never had any particular problem with it. Call me Retro, it goes with the inherent Grouch in me.
    And so is it not time to reveal your true inner self?
    Attached Thumbnails Lost all folders after trying to move too large video-4107funny_color_bear_768-1280.jpg  
    04-18-13 08:54 AM
    lol to each their own if it ain't broke don't fix it right
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-18-13 09:03 AM
    lol to each their own if it ain't broke don't fix it right
    That's about as perfect as it gets my friend!
    04-18-13 09:09 AM
    That's about as perfect as it gets my friend!
    perfect is when everything feels slow motion and you have a big smile on your face ......this post needed like 30 back spaces and corrections I'm feeling preety good abojt now cough cough drunk
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-18-13 07:48 PM
51 123