I was trying to move a 6 gig video (don't ask!) and went to bed as the time to move was over an hour. Woke up this morning and the file was too large and I was prompted to provide space or cancel. I decided to cancel. At that point, the pb has almost no space.

I gather that the CANCEL did not immediately recover space and the pb was more or less Static. I could not run anything so I RESTARTED.

That did work but once it restarted ALL of my Folders were gone. All Icons were back on the home screen and the second panel.

I don't recall anything like this happening before.

I don't know if this is a warning or a suggestion to always have current backups. I did not think a restore was worth the effort but putting tons of icons into orderly Folders is also a pain.

edited to add: I just realized, the term FOLDERS could be vague. I lost the Folders that contain ICONS, not internal folders holding files.
    Last edited by F2; 04-16-13 at 03:06 PM.
    04-16-13 09:30 AM
    I was trying to move a 6 gig video (don't ask!) and went to bed as the time to move was over an hour. Woke up this morning and the file was too large and I was prompted to provide space or cancel. I decided to cancel. At that point, the pb has almost no space.

I gather that the CANCEL did not immediately recover space and the pb was more or less Static. I could not run anything so I RESTARTED.

That did work but once it restarted ALL of my Folders were gone. All Icons were back on the home screen and the second panel.

I don't recall anything like this happening before.

I don't know if this is a warning or a suggestion to always have current backups. I did not think a restore was worth the effort but putting tons of icons into orderly Folders is also a pain.
    Dear poster, your problems saddened me and made me feel an overwhelming urge to respond. However you do not state which pb model you have so I am unable to help at this point in time as I do not know what memory size you started with tenable me to calculate required space to complete said project and still run your pb. Otherwise I would have assistanted your demise.
    04-16-13 11:27 AM
    I have never seen that on either PB but I've never pushed the limits of the memory either.
    Did it say you had enough room to add 6 gigs when you started the transfer.
    04-16-13 11:45 AM
    I have never seen that on either PB but I've never pushed the limits of the memory either.
    Did it say you had enough room to add 6 gigs when you started the transfer.
    That's what I said
    04-16-13 11:51 AM
    The unit is a 64gig. And it was late and I just tried copying over the HUGE file without checking the free space. This morning after the failure, the pb/hardware setting said I had about 24k!!!!! Pretty low, huh!

Actually, the video was an odd file. It started as 4 video files created by Advanced Camera of the installation of a Solar Array on my home. They were not very large but I wanted to combine them into one video. They total about 143mb. Well, my video editor program would not import mp4. So I converted to avi's. Then consolidated them and saved the total - for some reason, the file grew to almost 6gb.

While I tried one consolidation program - the output was too grainy and pixelated.

But that's the background. The issue is that the attempted copy blew up my Folders. Oh, and when I initiated the copy, Windows did not warn me that I did not have enough room. It had been chugging along with the copy when I went to sleep. It failed later.

Oh, well, live and learn.

The four files:

04/11/2013 02:41 PM 20,169,885 VID_00000010.mp4
    04/15/2013 11:35 AM 35,617,463 VID_00000011.mp4
    04/15/2013 12:06 PM 10,770,402 VID_00000012.mp4
    04/15/2013 03:12 PM 84,022,819 VID_00000013.mp4
    04-16-13 12:30 PM
    The unit is a 64gig. And it was late and I just tried copying over the HUGE file without checking the free space. This morning after the failure, the pb/hardware setting said I had about 24k!!!!! Pretty low, huh!

Actually, the video was an odd file. It started as 4 video files created by Advanced Camera of the installation of a Solar Array on my home. They were not very large but I wanted to combine them into one video. They total about 143mb. Well, my video editor program would not import mp4. So I converted to avi's. Then consolidated them and saved the total - for some reason, the file grew to almost 6gb.

While I tried one consolidation program - the output was too grainy and pixelated.

But that's the background. The issue is that the attempted copy blew up my Folders. Oh, and when I initiated the copy, Windows did not warn me that I did not have enough room. It had been chugging along with the copy when I went to sleep. It failed later.

The four files:

Windows only checks itself for sufficient disk space when copying, it does not check the destination target for sufficient space. With your pb, it's probably managed to load the files but then has insufficient memory to actually work. When you restart it will do basically the same thing. It loads its files as it boots, os first and then your application files and folders until it gets to the point where it hasn't enough memory to operate itself so it doesn't load anything after that. You could try starting your pb and the finding and deleting the offending video files. Then restart and if your very, very lucky it will rebuild itself as normal because it now has enough memory to do so. It's doubtful that it's deleted anything just because it's run out of ram so it's worth a try.
    04-16-13 12:47 PM
    Windows only checks itself for sufficient disk space when copying, it does not check the destination target for sufficient space. With your pb, it's probably managed to load the files but then has insufficient memory to actually work. When you restart it will do basically the same thing. It loads its files as it boots, os first and then your application files and folders until it gets to the point where it hasn't enough memory to operate itself so it doesn't load anything after that. You could try starting your pb and the finding and deleting the offending video files. Then restart and if your very, very lucky it will rebuild itself as normal because it now has enough memory to do so. It's doubtful that it's deleted anything just because it's run out of ram so it's worth a try.
    That was so technically beautiful...Imma gonna cry....
    04-16-13 01:25 PM
    I was sat in my cellar when I posted it.
    Attached Thumbnails Lost all folders after trying to move too large video-imabrandyges.jpg  
    04-16-13 01:39 PM
    As per the "compass" you gotta work on that "your", tho. Then it will be perfection. Oops. is this a banter-free zone?
    sad_old_man and BuzzStarField like this.
    04-16-13 02:15 PM
    As per the "compass" you gotta work on that "your", tho. Then it will be perfection. Oops. is this a banter-free zone?
    Pesky little compass loving gooseberry you!
    Attached Thumbnails Lost all folders after trying to move too large video-3d-eggs.jpg  
    04-16-13 02:43 PM
    That's what I said
    Minus the big words.
    Your post said something different when I started my reply.
    Some nonsense about a pub.
    04-16-13 03:42 PM
    I was sat in my cellar when I posted it.
    damn, if that's your cellar, we need to hang out,,, i wanna see the rest of that shack...
    04-16-13 04:01 PM
    i've heard of something like this happening to BB phones, & maybe the playbook, too,,, when a device gets too low on memory, it'll delete things like user installed apps, pics, vids, calendar appt, etc. to make room,,, but this is usually associated w/ low power/battery level...
    04-16-13 04:05 PM
    F2, you might try using this free software to join your mp4 files- Free Video Joiner, AVI, WMV, MPEG Video Joiner Freeware I suspect that you were trying to combine a time lapse video that you made with Advanced Camera, since you stated your intention to do so in another thread. Anyhow, losing your folders but not the app icons themselves doesn't seem to be too big a deal- things could have been much worse. What I've done in the past prior to wiping my PB was to take screenshots of my homescreen and inside of all homescreen folders. That way I had a reference as to how I had my PB organized and what apps I had loaded on it.
    FF22 and NoraMelua like this.
    04-16-13 05:24 PM
    thank god I'm not the only one
    04-16-13 05:59 PM
    F2, you might try using this free software to join your mp4 files- Free Video Joiner, AVI, WMV, MPEG Video Joiner Freeware I suspect that you were trying to combine a time lapse video that you made with Advanced Camera, since you stated your intention to do so in another thread. Anyhow, losing your folders but not the app icons themselves doesn't seem to be too big a deal- things could have been much worse. What I've done in the past prior to wiping my PB was to take screenshots of my homescreen and inside of all homescreen folders. That way I had a reference as to how I had my PB organized and what apps I had loaded on it.
    I will give that program a review. And you are right. I had 4 timelapse videos that I wanted to combine together. I did have one Joiner Program but it created an output file that had poor resolution or pixelation. I did find another that seems to have worked - YAMB from VideoHelp. The file seems reasonable and it is pretty much the size of the original files added together and not some super inflated gigabyte file.

I like you Screenshot idea - I've done that with a new settings on the pb, including the static ip address and some other things.
    04-16-13 07:04 PM
    I'm thinking this is a potential root vector
    04-16-13 07:08 PM
    I'm thinking this is a potential root vector
    I would agree wholeheartedly if I new what one was?
    04-17-13 09:49 AM
    I think you're conflating RAM with storage. Cache usage almost certainly goes up during transferring of big files - but not ever expanding.

That devices like PlayBooks will probably like some free space and cache available when they boot is one thing - but they don't tend to operate on the same principles of virtual memory that, say, Windows or other OSs do. My understanding is that it's not been that heavily exploited on tablets, because it can shorten the life of the storage used.
    04-17-13 10:10 AM

The four files:

Don't use something to convert them, unless you have to.

Something like AVIDEMUX will just allow you to append them, and save them as an mp4, without re-encoding video or audio.

AVIDEMUX is freeware, open the first file with it, then use the append option to add the others in order. Set video and audio to copy, then save the video, and just save it as an mp4 file.

Only reconvert if the codec is really incompatible.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-17-13 10:12 AM
    I think you're conflating RAM with storage. Cache usage almost certainly goes up during transferring of big files - but not ever expanding.

That devices like PlayBooks will probably like some free space and cache available when they boot is one thing - but they don't tend to operate on the same principles of virtual memory that, say, Windows or other OSs do. My understanding is that it's not been that heavily exploited on tablets, because it can shorten the life of the storage used.
    Choose any OS you like, Unix, windows, Linux, qnx and you will find that an os is an os is an os. Reduce the amount of available storage space beyond that which the OS is happy with and strange things will happen. A tablet is not bound by any different computing rules and os constrictions than a laptop or pc. The architecture of the platform may vary but the basic principals have to remain the same (well allowing for bb coders). At the end of the day it is fitted with a processor that only understands 0s and 1s, in other words binary.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-17-13 10:46 AM
    Don't use something to convert them, unless you have to.

Something like AVIDEMUX will just allow you to append them, and save them as an mp4, without re-encoding video or audio.

AVIDEMUX is freeware, open the first file with it, then use the append option to add the others in order. Set video and audio to copy, then save the video, and just save it as an mp4 file.

Only reconvert if the codec is really incompatible.
    In my "consolidate mp4 files" search I did find that one but it seemed complex at that time. I may give it another look.
    04-17-13 11:03 AM
    As a rule of thumb, I like to leave no less than 10% of space on a "drive" just for the overhead required when copying and moving files. When space runs out, strange things happen when the OS writes file information. The end result is a corrupted file structure that shows little free space even though it looks like a lot of files were deleted. Not too sure how to solve this one other than trying to free up some space and see how the PlayBook behaves after that and some of the files come back.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good set of system utilities out there such as we are used to with desktops and laptops that might help with the problem.
    04-17-13 11:27 AM
    Choose any OS you like, Unix, windows, Linux, qnx and you will find that an os is an os is an os. Reduce the amount of available storage space beyond that which the OS is happy with and strange things will happen. A tablet is not bound by any different computing rules and os constrictions than a laptop or pc. The architecture of the platform may vary but the basic principals have to remain the same (well allowing for bb coders). At the end of the day it is fitted with a processor that only understands 0s and 1s, in other words binary.
    Well if you fill a filesystem, some OSs will complain.

It depends on the filesystems use, though, as to whether it's critical.

On a very big OS, I could completely fill several filesystems and apart from mentioning the fact, the OS couldn't really give a damn. If I fill up the system partition on a Windows machine, it may well complain significantly, and things may well stop working, but I'd like to think it wouldn't crash. If I dd'd onto a Unix swap partition, I may well expect it to instantly crash.

As to tablets - it's oversimplifying to say they are not bound by different rules or constrictions than OSs on other platforms. Traditional computers have RAM, and hard disk based storage. They will almost certainly have on-chip caching and virtual memory. And most modern OSs will pre-empt RAM usage and an ideal landscape by pre-emptively paging to virtual / secondary storage (even when available RAM isn't challenged). They will also use typically use RAM to assist with caching for data transfer.

Now all of those "normal" things and expectations can be quite different on things like tablets and more mobile OSs - partly because of cost and availability of different types of storage, and partly because of the traits and characteristics of various types of storage. So the concept of virtual memory or secondary storage (ie not using RAM, per se, but flash storage on a tablet or mobile phone) isn't anything like as prevalent or as expansive, because such use can rapidly shorten the servicable life of it.

OSs on big "real" computers don't have some of those constraints to work with. And in fairness, tablet OSs certainly like Android (that being what I'm most familiar with at a true OS level - but I suspect similar for QNX, as really it's just a Unix derivative) don't go about things like memory management in quite the same way as more general purpose OSs that we may have experience of on true "real" (ie not SoC) computers.
    04-17-13 11:46 AM
    In my "consolidate mp4 files" search I did find that one but it seemed complex at that time. I may give it another look.
    I have to say, AVIDEMUX really makes this sort of thing easy - as it has an in-built append option. And you don't need to change container / file type, you can just save as mp4.
    04-17-13 11:48 AM
51 123