My Playbook started acting up this week after being perfect since the OS2 upgrade. I have a strong wifi connection with all the bars showing, but every hour or so I lose my internet connection.

The wifi network in my home is solid with no other devices having this problem (2 PC's, iPad, iPhone and BB 9900). Any internet based activity on the PB stops, for example downloading an app, updating NewsReader, my weather app etc. It is not just the browser.

I have tried restarting several times with what appears to be random successes. The only thing that seems to work consistently is clearing the cache,history, cookies etc ("clear all") on the browser settings, closing the browser, turning wifi off then on again and then restarting the browser. Once I get back on the web with the browser, all the other apps work fine again.

Any suggestions??
    03-13-12 07:08 PM
    I have trouble with the pb dropping the wifi as well. Most of the time I can just click and reconnect, but not always. Can't figure out why it also drops with out warning when all the other connected device's don't have the same issue.
    03-13-12 08:48 PM
    I would try deleting saved networks, do a hard start (hold down power button for 15 seconds.) then reboot and re add your home network. If that doesn't work you might want to do a de brick or reload the OS.
    03-13-12 08:58 PM
    what settings are you using on the router?
    i was having issues with a WPA2 key. wep seems better, and open works best(i only open when using appworld just to download).
    03-13-12 08:59 PM
    Try turning off your modem and router for a couple minutes. Lets it reset itself.
    03-13-12 09:08 PM
    I find on my 5ghz network, my playbook tends to drop connection pretty often. I have since switched it to my backup 2.4 ghz N network and it works fine now.
    MTL likes this.
    03-13-12 09:32 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Again, the wifi connection remains strong, the PB is not losing the link, but is losing its connection to the internet while connected to my wireless network. I'll try all the above and see.
    03-14-12 06:43 AM
    My Dad had the same problem. Looking at his PB there should not have been any problem, signal strength was good, settings were correct but his connection kept dropping or even failed to load. Resetting the router fixed it and he hasn't had a recurrence yet, going on a month or so.
    03-14-12 07:25 AM
    Test with different wifi for error consistency. Ensure you or your neighbors wifi / microwave / cordless phone isn't the culprit. Just some things to consider other than the router and playbook if all else seems fine.
    03-14-12 07:55 AM
    I was having the exact same problem with a new iMac I got. iMac was alway connected to the network, but the internet would not work at times. Frequent drops. It was the only device in the house having the issue. I changed the channel on the router, and erased the old network settings on it before reconnecting and have been problem free for months. May work in this case as well.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-14-12 08:20 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Again, the wifi connection remains strong, the PB is not losing the link, but is losing its connection to the internet while connected to my wireless network. I'll try all the above and see.
    I've got the exact same problem but I'm only noticing it when I've got my PB close to my TV, connected via HDMI. I'm starting to wonder if something is degrading the signal near my TV. I'm going to change my security settings from WPA2 to WEP and see if it improves.
    03-14-12 08:54 AM
    Any cordless phones on those 2.x and 5.x bands? That can interfere with wifi. Even a neighbor's could affect things.
    03-14-12 09:36 AM
    Mine drops too.

Whenever it goes into stand-by, or if I'm reading for a while.

Like others it still shows a strong connection, more like time-out if not using the net for a bit. Everytime I just drop the wifi and reconnect. I never have to restart.
    03-14-12 11:54 AM
    I've got the exact same problem but I'm only noticing it when I've got my PB close to my TV, connected via HDMI. I'm starting to wonder if something is degrading the signal near my TV. I'm going to change my security settings from WPA2 to WEP and see if it improves.
    As a follow up, I just put my laptop in the same place by the TV and turned on some Internet streaming music. My laptop did the same thing; cuts in and out just like the PlayBook. I've come to the conclusion that something is interfering with my WiFi whenver I have any device close to my TV. Maybe you've got the same problem with something interfering with your WiFi? Have you noticed if it's in specific areas of your home?
    03-14-12 01:44 PM
    My Playbook started acting up this week after being perfect since the OS2 upgrade. I have a strong wifi connection with all the bars showing, but every hour or so I lose my internet connection.

The wifi network in my home is solid with no other devices having this problem (2 PC's, iPad, iPhone and BB 9900). Any internet based activity on the PB stops, for example downloading an app, updating NewsReader, my weather app etc. It is not just the browser.

I have tried restarting several times with what appears to be random successes. The only thing that seems to work consistently is clearing the cache,history, cookies etc ("clear all") on the browser settings, closing the browser, turning wifi off then on again and then restarting the browser. Once I get back on the web with the browser, all the other apps work fine again.

Any suggestions??
    My only consolation in reading your post, is the discovery that I am definately not the only one with this problem!!
    My wi-fi connection last on average about 20 minutes, then stalls. Its very annoying and puzzling, that its affected so many PB device users. Such is my current sceptism with the device I'am now seriously considering giving up on Blackberry PB and trying my luck with the new Kindle Fire.
    09-30-12 01:04 AM
    Well since there is a six month gap between the last post and the previous one this is apparently not a frequent playbook problem.
    09-30-12 01:17 AM
    My only consolation in reading your post, is the discovery that I am definately not the only one with this problem!!
    My wi-fi connection last on average about 20 minutes, then stalls. Its very annoying and puzzling, that its affected so many PB device users. Such is my current sceptism with the device I'am now seriously considering giving up on Blackberry PB and trying my luck with the new Kindle Fire.

I see that this is your first post. Are you new to the Playbook or simply posting for the first time? The reason I ask is that there are many people here who can help with finding solutions to problems that new users may have with their new devices. As this thread shows, folks are more than willing to help out. Most of us have probably been frustrated at one time or another with electronic products. I used to want to tear my hair out over issues I had with a PC of mine. Most of the time though the problems were caused by user error (me) than by the computer. It often had to do with my lack of knowledge technically.

If you are someone new to the Playbook you might want to try BlackBerry support as well as this forum for solutions.

And here's something to consider. It seems you want to use the tablet as a media tablet since you have an interest in a Kindle. Perhaps you have low available free memory which will sometimes affect the device's performance. Try a restart. That usually clears it up.

Oh, and by the way, mentioning dumping the Playbook for another device in your very first post sometimes raises people's suspicions about your motivations for the post in the first place. I give people the benefit of doubt and hope you truly are looking for solutions in this forum.
    09-30-12 08:32 AM
    Happens to mine on occasion.

Using wireless N/WPA2 on a free main channel with the router just 10 feet away.

I just hit the button a couple of times and it gets back up.
    09-30-12 10:39 AM
    Agree with Alan510 and see that my post was maybe too brusque. Noting also the second post by daglesj I use wireless g/wpa2 and essentially don't ever have wifi drops unless I have moved to a part of the house in which signal strength is very poor. True wireless g is slower than n but having a high speed LAN does not help the internet connection speed- your provider controls that.With some routers I believe the Playbook may work better at g speed. In future requests I suggest you provide more detail such as the brand and model of router, the band and channel you are using, and any information you glean from the wifi info accessed under the gear icon particularly signal strength and also whether there is a lot of other wifi activity in the area. Don't know whether the Kindle HD Fire would be better but my BBPB performs at least as well as my Nexus7 in this regard. Buy the Kindle if you love the Amazon world.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-30-12 at 01:30 PM.
    09-30-12 01:28 PM
    Well my router is a Draytek 2710 so high quality. Not your usual ISP freebie. Has three 6dBi antennas attached to supplement, one of which is angled 90 degrees to the other two.

Sits on channel 1 with little in the way of competing WAPs. Nothing else I use drops out but it's no biggy only happens on odd occasions. It always comes back after a tap or two.
    09-30-12 02:55 PM
    I had a problem, that I would intermittently lose the internet. My router was using a draft-N std, I switched to G and have never lost it since...I think the complete N std, works fine if you have it, but the draft-n versions are sketchy...
    09-30-12 03:17 PM
    i have a wifi g only. very long wpa2 password as reccom. all devices work well. my pc looses connection maybe once in two years, despite being two floors higher than the reliable fritz!box wifi router.

the only device failing many times per hour is the playbook.

this is the master issue in my opinion, very widespread and rim should really take care about it.

ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    09-30-12 03:38 PM
    Check for a firmware update for your router.
    09-30-12 03:47 PM
    Firmwares all up to date. In fact Draytek offer many custom firmwares for different regions and countries.

Just appears to be a small bug somewhere. Maybe doesn't like some radio chipsets.
    09-30-12 04:06 PM
    My router is a ZyXEL MWR102 travel router about the size of a pack of cigarettes running g wireless on channel 3. I sometimes use a wireless signal obtained with the software program Connectify lite on my HPdm-4010Us laptop which has an AMD chipset. The laptop is connected by the ZyXEL wireless. The ZyXEL router cost <$20 on Amazon. I mention the Connectify program because if you have a late model machine running Windows 7 you may be able to install it and run your BBPB off that signal. Connectify lite is free but the pro version is $30. The Connectify program can also be used as a range extender which is essentially the way I have it hooked up although the laptop is only three feet from the ZyXEL.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-30-12 at 06:01 PM.
    09-30-12 05:50 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD