I'm looking for some suggestions on how to connect an older projector to my PlayBook. The projector cable has what I believe is a serial plug. I've used it with my laptop for years. I don't think it would be something as simple as an adapter.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    11-23-11 10:04 PM
    The projector cable has what I believe is a serial plug.
    It's definitely not serial as serial can't carry video, I think it's probably VGA.

Take a look at http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumbla...8204Xv75eg.jpg . The left is HDMI, middle is VGA, right is DVI.

If your projector has HDMI or DVI it's super easy and cheap.

VGA is where things get more complicated. You need a converter box that can decode HDMI and generate an analog VGA signal. There have been a few past threads about connecting PlayBooks to monitors and TVs where converter boxes have been discussed. I don't own one so I'm unsure what's a good choice, but there was an HP HDMI->VGA converter that seemed to be pretty popular and cheap. If you search for the old threads you'll find lots of discussion of converter boxes. You'll also find a few people suggesting using two adapters, an HDMI->DVI and DVI->VGA. While this sounds great in theory it doesn't work in practice, as there's two types of DVI signals (analog and digital) and the HDMI->DVI converter will give you the wrong one.
    11-23-11 10:35 PM
    HP makes some vga adapter that folks have used - if that's what your projector takes. There are threads on it. I guess search either for "presentation" or "projector" and you might find the threads.
    11-23-11 10:45 PM
    My bad. Its VGA. Thanks for the help. I will try to search again.
    11-23-11 11:03 PM
    This is what F2 is talking about:
    HP HDMI to VGA Display Adapter | HP� Official Store

I have one and it works with the PlayBook.
    11-23-11 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD