Im going abroad again shortly and would really like to be able to watch TV on my Playbook but when I try to do so Im told I cannot as my IP address is outside the Uk.

Is there an app either ideally free or paid for which I can install to work around this problem?

Im not looking to watch live TV but an on demand service would be nice.
    04-14-13 01:08 PM
    One possible solution would be VPN. But the bad part is, BlackBerry has only assistance for certified VPN protocols and many VPN provider support only generic pptp protocols...

Other solutions are proxy servers or smart DNS Servers... you are may able to get this even done on your wifi router...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 02:32 PM
    I wouldn't have access to the router but 'proxy servers or smart DNS Servers... ' Could be a solution.

Could you advise further on this please?
    04-14-13 03:27 PM
    I have experienced, that free services are very unreliable and just work sometimes... especially as videos need lots of bandwidth you should look for something professional.

There are thousands of providers which support Proxys, VPNs, DNS Servers... Google will help you...

On the PlayBook you can find these settings in the wifi section...

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 04:16 PM
    I use a paid dns at my home from the website unblock-us.com. I am actually going to France for 6 months an plan on bringing it with me as I can watch hulu and netflix with it. Unfortunately not with my playbook when it comes to netflix and hulu. They also support multiple Facebook locations. Check their website and see if they support what you want. I believe they also support the us tv sites.
    04-15-13 09:16 AM
    I just tried unblockus but as i dont have access to router settings when abroad i dont think i can use it.

It also says it does not support the Playbook.
    04-15-13 12:37 PM
    You can try using a proxy through the browser, which should trick any UK video sites into thinking you're in the UK or elsewhere. You'll only be able to view videos though the browser though this way. A list of free proxies can be found here- Free Proxy Servers - Protect Your Online Privacy with Our Proxy List A UK proxy can be found here- super.freefromall.com Glype proxy If you go here- What Is My IP Address At IP-Adress.com - Whois, My IP, & Free Tools! using one of these browser based proxies, the site will tell you the location of the proxy that you're using. Proceed at your own risk.
    04-15-13 01:13 PM
    You can try using a proxy through the browser, which should trick any UK video sites into thinking you're in the UK or elsewhere. You'll only be able to view videos though the browser though this way. A list of free proxies can be found here- Free Proxy Servers - Protect Your Online Privacy with Our Proxy List A UK proxy can be found here- super.freefromall.com Glype™ proxy If you go here- What Is My IP Address At IP-Adress.com - Whois, My IP, & Free Tools! using one of these browser based proxies, the site will tell you the location of the proxy that you're using. Proceed at your own risk.
    Unfortunately this does not work. Im now in Spain and have tested it.

It just weants to bring up adverts without loading any content.

Thanks anyway.
    04-15-13 01:37 PM
    Unfortunately this does not work. Im now in Spain and have tested it.

It just weants to bring up adverts without loading any content.

Thanks anyway.
    You give up too easily. The first time that you click on the address bar, an ad will pop up, but it should work after that. I guarantee you that I am not in the UK.
    Attached Thumbnails Looking for app to hide IP address so i can watch TV abroad-img_20130409.jpg  
    04-15-13 02:01 PM
    Ok, maybe im doing something wrong. I go to super.freefromall.com Glype proxy and type BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home into the URL field and it produces ad after ad.
    04-16-13 10:53 AM
    You might try Startpage.com (does not record/report IP address), and then "View by proxy", again it will not recordtreport IP address.

C
    04-19-13 02:19 PM
    www.Unblock-us.com config your router and done. Free 7 day trial than $5 a month. Super fast and not slow like most VPN proxies.
    Enyigma likes this.
    04-20-13 12:48 AM
    I'm home now and therefore can't really check the last 2 suggestions but thanks to all who kindly offered advice and suggestions.
    04-21-13 03:47 AM
    this sounds like a good idea, BUT, when I loaded the startpage.com in my firefox browser, i could not find the the 'vew by proxy option'.
    i even made sure to disable no-script and adblock in case they were masking some content.

i clicked around the site, saw a lot of good information about how the proxy service works, but NO ability to actually activate the proxy surfing.

would appreciate if you explain me what did i do wrong or did not do. i am in the us, could THAT be the problem for a british-based site ?
    04-21-13 06:44 AM
    Ok the Unblock-US thing has me stuck!! I have paid for it but can't get it to work on my PlayBook no way no how... Would love if anyone could walk me through it.
    07-06-13 02:02 AM
    Go to Settings and go to your WiFi connection. Then modify the proxy settings to use a proxy from that country.
    07-06-13 02:21 AM
    Hi, just using watching TV abroad
    I can use it on my MAC, iPad and iPhone under the same account. For Windows they have custom application. I can watch any of UK or US TV channel from anywhere
    11-26-13 03:36 PM
    Yes, but again - its not free! That's was this question was (ideally) looking for.
    11-26-13 03:46 PM
    Yes, You are right, they have free trial only. I have been searching for (and testing) a couple of services for free, but most of them were unreliable, slow or not accessible from all countries (I travel a lot and eg. in China most of these free services do not work). So, finally I am happy with www.watchingtvabroad.com
    12-03-13 06:53 AM
    Thanks to all who replied to my question since I posted it some time ago.

I think I now have to accept there does not appear to be a free solution to this problem.

Whilst some free proxies do exist they are unreliable and insecure and do not do what I need, albeit only for short periods during the year.
    12-12-13 03:43 AM
    Thanks to all who replied to my question since I posted it some time ago.

I think I now have to accept there does not appear to be a free solution to this problem.

Whilst some free proxies do exist they are unreliable and insecure and do not do what I need, albeit only for short periods during the year.
    That is the usual problem - if you're abroad for a long period, it's worthwhile, but when it's just a short time, it's a hassle and (relatively) expensive. So most don't bother.
    12-12-13 04:21 AM
    I am always on the move from country to country & so have used VPN connections for years now, if you shop around there are normally cheap deals if you pay for the year upfront and most of them will allow BBC iPlayer from UK & Netflix from US etc to play in any country.
    I got a half price deal from Panther (Google PANTHERVPN ) think it only worked out to a few bucks per month.
    stephenco likes this.
    05-01-15 06:22 AM
    i bought an anual account on witopia.com and it is awesome! give it a try!
    06-17-15 04:01 PM