Hi! Is there any password protection app (or otherwise) that blocks the wifi or internet off the Blackberry Playbook? An internet filter that can blacklist everything is also welcome.

Sideloading is not a problem, so any links for .bar files are also welcome Thanks!
    09-30-13 03:06 PM
    Just block the MAC address on your router
    09-30-13 03:07 PM
    Just block the MAC address on your router
    I have done that and it works You keep the router password secret. Anyone can reset the router of course but you will know about it, and it can be locked in a wooden cabinet.

Any app you put on playbook to restrict a young user (even if there was one) can be bypassed because there is no concept of admin and user accounts like on PC. They have equal rights to you.
    09-30-13 04:13 PM
    I forgot to say OpenDNS or a router block won't help; I move around a lot. I can't start blocking all the wifi signals at school/ work lol Any way to block it on the device? I know that for android tablets there are such apps, but I can't seem to get my hands on them to convert them to .bar

A child control feature would also help
    09-30-13 06:03 PM
    What's the point anyways if it's your own and not for kids? You can easily route it to a nothing VPN which won't give it net
    10-01-13 09:23 AM
    Hi! Is there any password protection app (or otherwise) that blocks the wifi or internet off the Blackberry Playbook? An internet filter that can blacklist everything is also welcome.

Sideloading is not a problem, so any links for .bar files are also welcome Thanks!
    What exactly are you trying to do (or prevent)?
    How about just setting a password and a short timeout, so if you leave your PB lying around, anyone picking it up will have to enter a password before they can do anything at all, let alone access WiFi??
    Or are you letting someone else use it, but don't want them to have internet access?
    10-01-13 09:43 AM
    I'm a teenager and an orthodox jew. I bought the tablet to watch videos on it, but I want to be able to use it while not having the temptation of going on the internet.
    10-01-13 10:21 AM
    What exactly are you trying to do (or prevent)?
    How about just setting a password and a short timeout, so if you leave your PB lying around, anyone picking it up will have to enter a password before they can do anything at all, let alone access WiFi??
    Or are you letting someone else use it, but don't want them to have internet access?
    I'm a teenager and an orthodox jew. I bought the tablet to watch videos on it, but I want to be able to use it while not having the temptation of going on the internet.
    10-01-13 10:21 AM
    Well, in that case, You could just delete any WiFi connections that may be set up. Then you won't be able to access the internet without setting up a new connection to a WiFi router.
    That requires a certain amount of effort, and means you won't just be able to casually fire up a browser and start surfing.

Even if you do find an App, unless you get someone else to set the password, you could still disable it anyway, but like someone else said, due to the way the PlayBook works (with a single user account), even with a working and passworded app running, I can't see how it could stop you from just shutting it down, or restarting the playbook to get round it.

Maybe just use some good old fashioned Will Power!!

EDIT: This suggestion is not really serious, it's a bit extreme,but it could work I guess... How fashioning a metal case, or partial case, that covers the WiFi receiver in the Playbook and stops you from accessing the WiFi signals...??

EDIT2: Delete the browser application??
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-01-13 10:42 AM
    Wondering where the videos are coming from? Suppose you could load them through the usb port or take them with the BB Playbook. Once on the PB you can view them without wifi. So inconvenient not to have wifi and internet. Philosophically even for those of us not orthodox jews life involves dealing with and resisting temptation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-01-13 11:32 AM
    I forgot to say OpenDNS or a router block won't help; I move around a lot. I can't start blocking all the wifi signals at school/ work lol Any way to block it on the device? I know that for android tablets there are such apps, but I can't seem to get my hands on them to convert them to .bar

A child control feature would also help
    Turn off wifi on the PlayBook???
    But yes, what you trying to do anyway? Like I said there is only one account on playbook. Anything you install can be uninstalled by another user.
    10-01-13 11:52 AM
    CAUTION advised!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've got a suggestion that involves possibly exploiting a bug in the PB.

If you DRAG all icons off the Dock (the top row of icons on the HomeScreen), so that it is completely EMPTY, then any icons you now drag up to the dock afterward gets sent to oblivion. They will disappear. So you can drag the Browser up there and maybe even appworld.

CAUTION. Do NOT drag any icon or app to the Dock that you want as they, too, will disappear.

As suggested we all need to learn to deal with temptations as we grow up. There must be a ton more temptations out there, especially Chocolate Covered Matzoh!!! And I stockpile Giffilte Fish each year.
    10-01-13 03:54 PM
    CAUTION advised!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've got a suggestion that involves possibly exploiting a bug in the PB.

If you DRAG all icons off the Dock (the top row of icons on the HomeScreen), so that it is completely EMPTY, then any icons you now drag up to the dock afterward gets sent to oblivion. They will disappear. So you can drag the Browser up there and maybe even appworld.

CAUTION. Do NOT drag any icon or app to the Dock that you want as they, too, will disappear.

As suggested we all need to learn to deal with temptations as we grow up. There must be a ton more temptations out there, especially Chocolate Covered Matzoh!!! And I stockpile Giffilte Fish each year.
    Loool! Thank you! I actually received the same suggestion today by Mod Team Leader pkcable. Thank you to you both! I was wondering though; I heard that if you restart the Playbook it goes back to normal (if I got the solution wrong, DO NOT CORRECT ME- just please tell me if I'm right or wrong). And does this mean I won't have Blackberry World either (the once a month I want to download new apps)?
    On a different note, the person who comes out with Cholov Yisroel Low-fat Chocolate Covered Matzoh will become a billionaire.
    Believe me, you aren't the only one who stockpiles Gefilte Fish. We have a whole deepfreezer dedicated to that habit

P.S.- the "do not correct me" part wasn't directed at you ( I know you're more sensible than that ) Just a message in general
    10-01-13 07:37 PM
    Turn off wifi on the PlayBook???
    But yes, what you trying to do anyway? Like I said there is only one account on playbook. Anything you install can be uninstalled by another user.
    Unless it's password protected, like the app store or kids place
    10-01-13 07:40 PM
    Wondering where the videos are coming from? Suppose you could load them through the usb port or take them with the BB Playbook. Once on the PB you can view them without wifi. So inconvenient not to have wifi and internet. Philosophically even for those of us not orthodox jews life involves dealing with and resisting temptation

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I didn't mean to omit anybody else, G-d forbid. I just thought it would show the relevance of the problem
    10-01-13 07:43 PM
    Well, in that case, You could just delete any WiFi connections that may be set up. Then you won't be able to access the internet without setting up a new connection to a WiFi router.
    That requires a certain amount of effort, and means you won't just be able to casually fire up a browser and start surfing.

Even if you do find an App, unless you get someone else to set the password, you could still disable it anyway, but like someone else said, due to the way the PlayBook works (with a single user account), even with a working and passworded app running, I can't see how it could stop you from just shutting it down, or restarting the playbook to get round it.

Maybe just use some good old fashioned Will Power!!

EDIT: This suggestion is not really serious, it's a bit extreme,but it could work I guess... How fashioning a metal case, or partial case, that covers the WiFi receiver in the Playbook and stops you from accessing the WiFi signals...??

EDIT2: Delete the browser application??
    Of course, someone else would provide the password. And your first suggestion would work... Except there are open wifi's like linksys.

Edit 1 is interesting; if Edit2 won't work (see the comments below) Maybe I'll try it. Thanks so much for your help!

P.S.- Willpower works 99% of the time. I'm still worried about that other 1%
    10-01-13 07:47 PM
    Loool! Thank you! I actually received the same suggestion today by Mod Team Leader pkcable. Thank you to you both! I was wondering though; I heard that if you restart the Playbook it goes back to normal (if I got the solution wrong, DO NOT CORRECT ME- just please tell me if I'm right or wrong). And does this mean I won't have Blackberry World either (the once a month I want to download new apps)?
    On a different note, the person who comes out with Cholov Yisroel Low-fat Chocolate Covered Matzoh will become a billionaire.
    Believe me, you aren't the only one who stockpiles Gefilte Fish. We have a whole deepfreezer dedicated to that habit

P.S.- the "do not correct me" part wasn't directed at you ( I know you're more sensible than that ) Just a message in general
    Well, you do not have to drag Appworld (bbworld, whatever-world) to the Dock. Just save it like your allowance for once a week. I don't recall but I do not think that restarting will fix it. (there might be an elaborate fix but we won't discuss that). Hopefully, this and low-cal chocolate matzoh will do the trick.
    10-01-13 09:23 PM
    Well, you do not have to drag Appworld (bbworld, whatever-world) to the Dock. Just save it like your allowance for once a week. I don't recall but I do not think that restarting will fix it. (there might be an elaborate fix but we won't discuss that). Hopefully, this and low-cal chocolate matzoh will do the trick.
    Lol, I hope so I know the hard way to fix it but there's frankly to much to lose using that method - not interested. I was referring to n easy way out, which i heard there is none really that works. Blackberry's bugs in the software actually helped me out, lol. Thank you so much for helping me! #1 savior folks
    10-01-13 10:28 PM