With the launch of OS2 there will be present in the App Store a number of apps from the Android Market. I am curious if the apps I will find are actual Android apps or are these apps that were previously offered on Android through their app market and have been processed to be a native Playbook App

or

are they processed to a lesser amount, making them useable on the Playbook, but not to the extent that a native App is? Also, are the files being offered being hosted by RIM on their App Store or are they being found at the Android hosted market? I think that the current Android Apps available to the OS2 Beta users are being imported to the Playbooks directly from the Android Marketplace. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the details.

The issue of how the apps are being ported to the Playbook could also be an issue if the operator of the Android Market (GOOGLE) takes issue with accessibilty and support of non-android devices and steps are taken at the market end to stop access.

THX
    02-02-12 07:54 PM
    They won't be connected to or hosted by Android Market. RIM is not dealing with Google to get apps. They are dealing with the app makers themselves. The PlayBook has a VM that runs Android Apps basically the same way that Android OS runs Android Apps. The App Developers are supposed to change their apps to remove the term Android as well as links to the Android Market. Then they sign them and submit them to AppWorld.

There are already many Android-originated apps in AppWorld. not all current apps were pulled from Android market.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 08:04 PM
    The Android apps will be in App World and submitted directly there by the app creator. Android Market doesn't come into this at all.

A native app is one written from scratch by a developer for the PlayBook. The Android apps are standard Android apps that have gone through a quick re-packager that makes them installable on a PlayBook.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-03-12 01:17 PM
    So just because I'm not sure we got a full answer there -

The "ported" apps will need to be run in the coming Android App Player, they WILL NOT run outside of it, correct?

I also hear talk of only being able to run a single Droid app at a time in the player. True?

Also, how will we know what is a "ported" app that must run in the 'Droid App Player and what isn't when we see them in App World?
    02-03-12 01:45 PM
    So just because I'm not sure we got a full answer there -

The "ported" apps will need to be run in the coming Android App Player, they WILL NOT run outside of it, correct?

I also hear talk of only being able to run a single Droid app at a time in the player. True?

Also, how will we know what is a "ported" app that must run in the 'Droid App Player and what isn't when we see them in App World?
    Android apps run with very little outward difference from native QNX apps.

No, I don't think there's full multitasking but the player doesn't shut down running apps, it just suspends them and there is a switcher. Might affect a media player but otherwise it's no worse than, say, an iPad2
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
    02-03-12 01:56 PM
    As it stands now there is no way of telling which is an Android apps and which are native. Something I hope is corrected in the future. I would like to know before I buy an app how it will run.
    While downloading a book in one app I switched to another and when I came back the download was finished so it seems they will keep running in the background.
    Here is a screenshot of the player in case your curious.
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
    02-03-12 02:53 PM
    As it stands now there is no way of telling which is an Android apps and which are native. Something I hope is corrected in the future. I would like to know before I buy an app how it will run.
    While downloading a book in one app I switched to another and when I came back the download was finished so it seems they will keep running in the background.
    Here is a screenshot of the player in case your curious.
    Do you notice that the bottom bar has the very four apps hat are showing on the image as recent? When an app is open, you can hit the icons in that bar and switch apps.
    02-03-12 03:12 PM
    Yes I know that. Is there a way to bring up that bar consistently? Sometimes a swipe from the top does it and other times it brings up the app menu. Other times that short swipe from middle to the left does it and sometimes it minimizes the app player.
    02-03-12 03:16 PM
    Yes I know that. Is there a way to bring up that bar consistently? Sometimes a swipe from the top does it and other times it brings up the app menu. Other times that short swipe from middle to the left does it and sometimes it minimizes the app player.
    You can choose to have it always on or ahow on demand.

The Player is far from what would be best (individual windows) but it does work.
    02-03-12 03:40 PM
    Android apps run with very little outward difference from native QNX apps.

No, I don't think there's full multitasking but the player doesn't shut down running apps, it just suspends them and there is a switcher. Might affect a media player but otherwise it's no worse than, say, an iPad2
    There are notifications arriving from the switched off applications - Kaiten, Touchdown both sends them to PB's notification menu which is outside of the Android player.

It is definitely more limiting than iPad2 though, where it supports multitasking of various models based on application design.
    02-03-12 03:55 PM
    Things could be different when the official OS is released.
    02-03-12 04:58 PM
    There are notifications arriving from the switched off applications - Kaiten, Touchdown both sends them to PB's notification menu which is outside of the Android player.

It is definitely more limiting than iPad2 though, where it supports multitasking of various models based on application design.
    Any messaging app--Android or not--can't be counted on to work. Major pieces of the messaging infrastructure have been held back until the 2.0 release.
    02-03-12 05:27 PM
    The OP thanks the posters for their responses.
    02-04-12 12:13 AM
    I've wondered the same as the OP. I'm a bit torthe issue. A small part of me would like a differentiated experience when it comes to native apps or ported apps, but a bigger part of me says "who cares?" And would like all of the Android apps to operate (multi task) just like native apps. Meaning, just give me the app and forget this "Android Player"...
    02-04-12 12:23 AM
    I've wondered the same as the OP. I'm a bit torthe issue. A small part of me would like a differentiated experience when it comes to native apps or ported apps, but a bigger part of me says "who cares?" And would like all of the Android apps to operate (multi task) just like native apps. Meaning, just give me the app and forget this "Android Player"...
    Does MacOS software run on Windows? Does Windows software run on Linux? Not natively, it requires an emulator or a virtual machine.

At the moment, the AP is a virtual machine. Pros and cons there...

Just don't ask for "forget the player" unless the PlayBook sifts to a full Android tablet, there will always be need for something to bridge the two different OS.
    02-04-12 07:53 AM
    For the most part it won't matter. If you've got an app open in the AP, you can still multi-task like always. If you are trying to run multiple AP apps, then it's slightly different to switch between those apps. It's not like you have to launch the AP and load apps into it or something. You tap an icon and it launches, for the most part.
    02-04-12 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD