I know this xoom v.s playbook thing is being debated ad nauseam, but here is my story:

I never tried the Xoom before.... I didn't even consider getting a tablet until recently cus my gf had the first gen iPad and I didn't like thumb typing on it AT ALL in portrait (felt like it was going to cut the skin between my index and thumb), and seemed like it would fatigue my hand and fingers after a while so I figured 10 in tablets aren't for me. Once the PB came out, I went straight to staples and liked it (almost love it now) and bougsht it.

The Xoom is getting decent reviews so while at Best Buy last night I took a gander at it.... of course clicking on links in the web browser was easier due to its lager screen, but typing was difficult in landscape mode just as i experienced with the iPad, and the screen was not as vibrant as the PB, all that aside..... I don't get how someone can deal with the OS being so laggy?

There was a very noticeable delay (2 sec?) and stutter when I changed between "screens" (or whatever they call it on android). Clicked on different apps and there was a noticeable lag in startup there too, similar to the lag in PB Bridge applications launching. I had the best buy guys restart it, but still the same....It almost seemed like the OS was running in an emulator or something For those of you who have this tablet as well or have tried it "fresh out the box" new, is that much lag normal?

It had flash support in the browser, so I'm guessing it must have been a fairly updated build

The apps themselves, once started, were responsive....no gripes with their performance

Didnt want to ask this in a Xoom forum, cus I know i'd get the "ur crazy, its not laggy" (which I might just be ) or the "what you expect from a tablet" response. I want to confirm if it really is that much less responsive compared to PB or was the display unit just taking a ****
    06-06-11 08:33 AM
    Well I have had the xoom and the PB. I took the xoom back not so much due to the lag that you mentioned, which it does have. I took it back because of this lag I just could not deal with it. Also once I started using the PB even with the seeming lack of major apps the size is perfect and the quality of the OS won me over.
    06-06-11 08:38 AM
    I played with a Xoom for about 15 minutes at Verizon so I may not be the best judge. I found the OS to be very confusing, and I too noticed much lagging, which could have been a poor connection at the verizon store. The PlayBook and the Ipad I found to be much more intuitive. (A trained monkey could use an ipad)
    06-06-11 08:49 AM
    If you have any experience at all researching tablets you know a store environment is not an accurate gauge of a real world experience. Heaven only knows how much junk is running in the background and they are not optimized at all. Surely you don't think that they run as they do on a store display.
    06-06-11 08:59 AM
    Agreed. Store displays aren't the best way to judge the usability of a smartphone, tablet, computer, etc. But, it's about the only way to do so. Rock and a hard place, so to speak.

That said, I have never owned an Android device. I have checked them out and, similar to pkcable's experience, found them sloppy and lackluster. But, all that means is that I don't like them, not that they aren't any good.
    06-06-11 09:04 AM
    If you have any experience at all researching tablets you know a store environment is not an accurate gauge of a real world experience. Heaven only knows how much junk is running in the background and they are not optimized at all. Surely you don't think that they run as they do on a store display.

Yeah, I understand that, and thats why I was asking this question in the first place; to figure out if the lag was present in a "fresh out the box" system, or just these display units. Seems like there is a noticeable lag, but maybe not as much as there was on this particular unit had at best buy. I dont know, I wasnt going to buy it just to verify if there is a lag and then return it ....i don't want it regardless
    06-06-11 09:26 AM
    Agreed. Store displays aren't the best way to judge the usability of a smartphone, tablet, computer, etc. But, it's about the only way to do so. Rock and a hard place, so to speak.

That said, I have never owned an Android device. I have checked them out and, similar to pkcable's experience, found them sloppy and lackluster. But, all that means is that I don't like them, not that they aren't any good.
    I've tried the Tab, the PB and the IPad and for me the Xoom won out. I have absolutely no lag on mine. It is rooted and running Gingerbread 3.1. Like anything else there is a short learning curve and afterwards you can accomplish any task with it. I bought the tabs and took them back if they didn't do as I expected. After the Android experience I even got rid of my 9650 for an Evo 4g. Wish I had done it years ago. I have not looked back.
    06-06-11 09:30 AM
    Yeah, I understand that, and thats why I was asking this question in the first place; to figure out if the lag was present in a "fresh out the box" system, or just these display units. Seems like there is a noticeable lag, but maybe not as much as there was on this particular unit had at best buy. I dont know, I wasnt going to buy it just to verify if there is a lag and then return it ....i don't want it regardless
    Could just be that you (and WE) are spoiled because the PlayBook really is a pretty damn decent tablet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 09:33 AM
    i bought 2 Xooms for an application we were developing.

out of the box, they are extremely laggy. i was really unimpressed.

the app we developed allowed you to stream movies from a device to Android. the movies were very jumpy and jittery. i figured that the "live wallpaper" may be causing that, so i disabled it, and it didn't make a bit of difference.

we went and cleared all of the running apps, disabled the GPS, and everything else we could think of, and it got a bit better, but wasn't great.

we're currently developing the same app for PlayBook, and i can honestly say, there is no comparison. PlayBook is much smoother and crisp. we can play the movies in full screen mode, or even minimized while doing other things, and there's no issue.
    06-06-11 09:49 AM
    What I didn't like about the Xoom was the placement off the power button. Everytime I held it I would hit the power button and it would go into sleep mode. Other than that I was pretty impressed, there was some lag but that is there with the PlayBook as well. And honeycomb is still being optimized.

I also didn't like the weight it was decent, but not my cup of tea.
    06-06-11 09:57 AM
    I spent about ten minutes on the zoom. I couldn't get past the look of the screen, zero quality build there. Wavy at the top where it met the edges, plastic like feel sort of the same as a low end BB 8520. Did I Think the OS had lag, you bet but I never gave it a real chance.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 06-06-11 at 10:11 AM.
    06-06-11 10:08 AM
    i bought 2 Xooms for an application we were developing.

out of the box, they are extremely laggy. i was really unimpressed.

the app we developed allowed you to stream movies from a device to Android. the movies were very jumpy and jittery. i figured that the "live wallpaper" may be causing that, so i disabled it, and it didn't make a bit of difference.

we went and cleared all of the running apps, disabled the GPS, and everything else we could think of, and it got a bit better, but wasn't great.

we're currently developing the same app for PlayBook, and i can honestly say, there is no comparison. PlayBook is much smoother and crisp. we can play the movies in full screen mode, or even minimized while doing other things, and there's no issue.
    Yeah, well, I see where this is going...................................Peace, out.
    06-06-11 10:09 AM
    The PB has problems, most of them are not that major to me, to someone else, it could understandably have some major issues, some that might never get resolved (some say its just too small, HTF are you gonna fix that ), but I like it more than the others just the way it is right now, and I just hope to like it even more later

I guess the lesson of the day is that its good to have choices

Keep these gadgets coming
    06-06-11 10:10 AM
    Ive noticed on the display units for the Xoom or any phone device at a store that people download everything. In the case of the Xoom, theyll download a app that wasnt optimize for honeycomb in the first place... But i fault Google for that crap. It shouldnt be allowed to be downloaded if it barely works in the first place.

In any case my Xoom doesnt lag at all. Only on flash intensive websites when its loading but once its loaded its fine
    06-06-11 10:41 AM
    In any case my Xoom doesnt lag at all. Only on flash intensive websites when its loading but once its loaded its fine
    that's not the experince i've had with it.

it lags, stutters, and skips even playing Angry Birds.
    bbaleno likes this.
    06-06-11 10:47 AM
    that's not the experince i've had with it.

it lags, stutters, and skips even playing Angry Birds.
    I will admit before 3.1 it lag on Angry birds something awful... I almost hated playing it. Once i upgraded everything smooth out.

But like anything results may vary

My Xoom works just like this video below and its actually slightly better.

osubass1 likes this.
    06-06-11 10:52 AM
    Ive noticed on the display units for the Xoom or any phone device at a store that people download everything. In the case of the Xoom, theyll download a app that wasnt optimize for honeycomb in the first place... But i fault Google for that crap. It shouldnt be allowed to be downloaded if it barely works in the first place.

You know whats funny, I still check out PBs when I'm at tech stores, I have never seen any downloaded apps on them except for some "rockets shooting others rockets" game. This best buy I went to last night didn't even decency to setup the WAP password on their display PB. And its not even next to the Xoom and the Ipad, its in the cellphone department next to some whack *** phones, hidden behind a rack of cellphone chargers. HAH! its almost as if like they don't want to sell it. They should be pimping all their tablets the same, its not fair LMAO!
    Last edited by uci2ci; 06-06-11 at 11:03 AM.
    06-06-11 11:00 AM
    I will admit before 3.1 it lag on Angry birds something awful... I almost hated playing it. Once i upgraded everything smooth out.

thanks for that info. i'm really not trying to dog the Xoom, but i would really like it to work better.

i'll look into it.
    06-06-11 11:05 AM
    For the record, I had a Verizon employee restart the Xoom before I played around with it. That being said, I do agree the store is NOT the best place to judge it, nor is 15 minutes with it enough to make a truly informed judgment.
    06-06-11 11:59 AM

i would say the video is probably a little slower than normal. Honestly had no toubles with angry birds before 3.1 though when i played. 3.1 and flash 10.3 really improved several aspects. Flash is very good now so videos are much better. I agree with everyone else the ones in the store seemed to run worse than actual models.
    06-06-11 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD