05-31-11 08:17 AM
    Prices aren't dropping. That's a single promotion by Yapper, whatever the heck that is, and is a third-party sale using Buy.com as the payment collector. Nothing special. Nothing shocking. The sky isn't falling.
    05-31-11 08:23 AM
    Prices aren't dropping. That's a single promotion by Yapper, whatever the heck that is, and is a third-party sale using Buy.com as the payment collector. Nothing special. Nothing shocking. The sky isn't falling.
    Calm down, I never said the sky was falling. It's obvious you must have a 32 GB and paid full price, sorry.
    05-31-11 08:32 AM
    i want the 64's to drop in price so i can snap one up and give my 16 to the wife
    05-31-11 08:35 AM
    That ad is misleading to begin with as it prices the 32gb at $799 when I'm sure its actually $599 retail.
    05-31-11 09:10 AM
    Yeah I wouldn't buy from that website under any circumstances. No PlayBook starts at $799, not even the 64GB. Great deal on the $230 of savings! Right?

...Not.
    05-31-11 09:23 AM
    I wonder if we will start seeing some discounts in the next month or 2 as they prepare to roll out the 3g/4g PBs.
    05-31-11 09:33 AM
    You'll certainly see carrier subsidized 3/4g versions with a contract. I doubt the wifi versions will discount until after that release, if ever. RIM don't seem to lower retail prices (carrier retail pricing anyway which is probably out of their hands). This is their first "direct to the consumer" device as far as I can remember. I hope a good $100 comes off the wifi price though.

I wonder if we will start seeing some discounts in the next month or 2 as they prepare to roll out the 3g/4g PBs.
    Last edited by xandermac; 05-31-11 at 09:39 AM.
    05-31-11 09:36 AM
    You'll certainly see carrier subsidized 3/4g versions with a contract. I doubt the wifi versions will discount until after that release, if ever. RIM don't seem to lower retail prices (carrier retail pricing anyway which is probably out of their hands). This is their first "direct to the consumer" device as far as I can remember. I hope a good $100 comes off the wifi price though.
    I can only assume they will offer it at a discounted rate once they release the 3/4g with carriers. But without a lowered cost for a wifi only version, there wouldn't really be any incentive to purchase a wifi only PB. That is, unless the 3/4G version will be sold for more than the current wifi only version's price.

Which brings up a rather interesting point for a new thread!
    05-31-11 09:50 AM
    I will assume that they'll follow other manufacturers pricing model and the 3/4g models will be about $100 more, but you'll also be able to buy them with a carrier subsidy, maybe $299 for a 16gig, which I think will negate any reason to discount the wifi models. I hope I'm wrong, $399 for the 16gig wifi would be perfect for sales.

I can only assume they will offer it at a discounted rate once they release the 3/4g with carriers. But without a lowered cost for a wifi only version, there wouldn't really be any incentive to purchase a wifi only PB. That is, unless the 3/4G version will be sold for more than the current wifi only version's price.

Which brings up a rather interesting point for a new thread!
    05-31-11 09:57 AM
    Calm down, I never said the sky was falling. It's obvious you must have a 32 GB and paid full price, sorry.
    No complaints on my side.

I paid $364.64 for my 32gb.

But if we all waited for prices to drop for anything what would that do markets.
    05-31-11 10:01 AM
    Ships from and sold by Yapper co, this is buy.com marketplace just like a third party seller on ebay or amazon.com
    05-31-11 10:28 AM
    agree with ifarlo. stupid conjecture
    05-31-11 10:36 AM
    Wow...if this isn't trolling I don't know what is
    05-31-11 12:36 PM
    Why do you expect carrier subsidies? Aren't people going to be looking for a 2-5GB plan at 20-$50 month like they did with the Ipad? If so, I am not sure there is enough $$ involved for carriers to subsidize much?
    05-31-11 12:49 PM
    Some of the Android Tablets are getting subsidized. I guarantee carriers would prefer locking contracts down rather than the month to month iPad option.

By the way, I saw an iPad 2 going for 1 cent on the intrawebz. I guess Apple is going under...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 01:05 PM
    I saw a local internet company advertising a laptop for only 99 cents! I guess everything is dropping now! Can't wait to only pay a buck for my next laptop...
    05-31-11 01:09 PM
    You do realize buy.com has the 32gb listed as $799 normal pricing, which is complete crap...
    05-31-11 01:27 PM
    You ca tell how well an item is selling by how fast the price drops. Amazon is a good source for watching prices. The PB are selling right at MSRP right now. Ironically iPads are selling around 15% more than MSRP online.
    05-31-11 05:51 PM
    You ca tell how well an item is selling by how fast the price drops. Amazon is a good source for watching prices. The PB are selling right at MSRP right now. Ironically iPads are selling around 15% more than MSRP online.
    Right. I also like to check ebay sales that closed. Also toronto craigslist in RIMs hometown is good gauge too. Prices are dropping fast even on unopened units.

toronto all for sale / wanted classifieds "Playbook" - craigslist
    05-31-11 06:23 PM
    Right. I also like to check ebay sales that closed. Also toronto craigslist in RIMs hometown is good gauge too. Prices are dropping fast even on unopened units.

toronto all for sale / wanted classifieds "Playbook" - craigslist
    I wouldn't put too much stock in craigslist as it's a place where ppl running credit card scams can easily unload them for cheaper prices. I also think some of these devices may have been the test devices sent out pre-release as well.
    06-02-11 09:00 AM
    I wouldn't put too much stock in craigslist...
    Yep. My guess is scam, pre-release, and/or free devices being sold off, not people dumping their PlayBooks en masse because they hate them.
    06-02-11 09:02 AM
    I made the title less trollish.
    06-02-11 09:06 AM
    I made the title less trollish.
    Awwww comon where's the tough love!!!
    06-02-11 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD