This is just bizarre. I noticed recently that my BB News Reader app wouldn't connect. Then, when I heard about the Dolphin browser coming to AppWorld, I tried to download it but kept getting an error.

Thinking maybe it had to do with my having two PlayBooks (mine and the wife's) associated with a single BB ID, I checked the BB ID tab in the System Settings panel. Now I'm receiving an error dialog saying that my "BlackBerry ID Locked" and that "You have exceeded the maximum number of attempts to verify your password" and that I'm locked out for something like 49 gazillion minutes.

So I googled the problem and tried resetting the password online via blackberryid.com, etc., but the PlayBook still shows this same error dialog on the BB ID tab. I'm now very worried because I have paid content from the AppWorld Store and I can't afford to simply nuke this ID. Also, any attempt to edit the ID parameters on the PlayBook results in the same error dialog being displayed.

Note: All of this started happening at random. I've never messed with my BB ID since the original install and the only time I entered the password was to pay for content on AppWorld. Also, I've only used paid content on my PB - on my wife's it was all free stuff like BubbleBurst.

Help! I really don't want to wipe the unit right now since I'm waiting for 2.0 RTM to do so and I need the PB before then. Very frustrating and confusing!

RCK
    02-07-12 04:02 AM
    Never mind. I finally found a solution - but it's equally bizarre and doesn't account for why I got locked out in the first place:

BlackBerry ID Locked Out - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Anyway, the solution is to disable automatic date/time and then manually roll the date forward a few years (2014 worked for me). After waiting a couple of minutes, reset the automatic date/time setting, wait for it to reset to the current date/time and then try your BB ID again.

Seems to work so far - though, again, I have no idea why this happened in the first place. However, given that the solution was posted to the official BB OS support forums by another user of the Dev Preview build, I'm guessing I'm not alone in this particular pre-release bug.

OS 2 RTM can't come soon enough!

RCK
    saudadeii likes this.
    02-07-12 04:14 AM
    I just noticed this as well with mine. Did the "old roll the clock fwd" trick. Works now too.
    02-08-12 06:37 PM
    One security issue with bbid which puzzles me.

If anyone gets a hold of your bbid, I'm guessing they can try using it on appworld or register a PB etc.

How would they get a hold of your bbid? One way is probably through video chat, since you need the other users bbid.
    02-08-12 08:28 PM
    One security issue with bbid which puzzles me.

If anyone gets a hold of your bbid, I'm guessing they can try using it on appworld or register a PB etc.

How would they get a hold of your bbid? One way is probably through video chat, since you need the other users bbid.
    But you would also need their password to log in.
    02-08-12 08:47 PM
    One more reason why the bbid concept was not really thought through. Some folks don't want to share the email address they used for their bbid but would want to video chat.
    narci likes this.
    02-08-12 10:51 PM
    But you would also need their password to log in.
    Missed my point.

Point is, like F2 pointed out, BBID is not well thought out.

If you like, you want to give me your BBID? I'll wipe my PB and use your BBID until it locks it.

Then when you go to the trouble to unlock it, I'll do it again.

If RIM starts to implement more apps/programs that require you to share your BBID to others, then this will and can happen.

I wonder how many people played jokes on other people who post thier PB PIN in thier CB profile by signing them up for OS2.0 beta?

Also no different when text messaging online through your providers website was first intorduced. People where spamming other people because it never got traced back to who was sending the text messages via web.

One thing i never understood about the BBID. I have a BBID username but when is it ever used?
    Last edited by narci; 02-08-12 at 11:18 PM.
    02-08-12 11:13 PM
    Weird same issue happen to my PB last nite.found same solution. All OK now.
    02-08-12 11:44 PM
    Same thing happened to me. Thanks for this!
    02-21-12 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD