Does anyone else have this issue? Does the PlayBook not have any aGPS or network location support? Autonomous (plain) GPS is fine when outside on a clear day but indoors, I hardly ever can get a lock, making any app that uses one's location fail at the location task. Examples include checking in on Foursquare, the map app, etc. I know this may be a bad comparison, but my Android tablets that have just WiFi & GPS are able to acquire an approx location straight away upon loading any app that needs a location. This is good enough for many purposes, especially wince WiFi has a smaller range & in urban areas with lots of WiFi spots around, can be about as good as a GPS lock.
    09-26-13 12:37 AM
    Purely, a satellite based system. I don't know much about "wifi" ASSISTED other than the ones in cell phones that rely on cell towers for triangulation.
    09-26-13 08:34 AM
    According to the documentation for their Native 'C' IDE, the PlayBook is capable of giving Lat. Long. just through WiFi. This capability has been at least since 2.0. Quoting:

"If the device cannot obtain a GPS fix but has Wi-Fi connectivity, the latitude, longitude, and accuracy are valid."

I would have to build the sample and verify but I did build and tested it many months ago and if I remember correctly, it gave Lat/Long before finally locking on to the GPS satellites. But that's just from memory.
    09-26-13 09:02 AM
    09-26-13 01:26 PM