Can anyone tell me if there is something else I need in order to download ebooks from my local library. I downloaded e-pub and I already loaded some books on my PB from a file on my hard drive. When I downloaded a few books from my local Library and then connected my PB to my desktop mananger and did the transfer, they did not show up anywhere.
    Sorry if I missed something and I did do a search on here but could not find anything, I am a bit of a newbie at this. PS. I did vote and I love my PB. Just learning as I go.

Thanks.
    01-10-12 09:55 PM
    Hi rpm,

I'm interested in the responses you receive about this. From what I've read here and on other forums, you can't read elibrary books on the PB (yet). The scuttlebutt is that with the new OS that is previewing, that will be fixed. Something to do with digital rights management and the PB not being able to use Adobe digital editions or Calibre.
    I'm a newbie to the PB too, and was hoping to use it for elibrary books as well, until I found out otherwise. Perhaps the more experienced PB users can clarify for us?
    01-10-12 10:06 PM
    If they're epub files and you have them on your PB you should be able to read them with any epub app. I paid $1.99 for PlayEpub which works quite well. There are a few free epub players but you can probably guess I wasn't happy with them if I paid for PlayEpub.

My library requires OverDrive Media Console or Adobe Digital Editions. OverDrive is a Java app that should be able to run on PB but I haven't got around to it.
    01-10-12 10:49 PM
    There is no Overdrive app for the playbook yet.
    01-11-12 12:00 AM
    I tried multiple time to download the ebook files from my local library using my PB. No luck so far. Ill keep watching to see if someone is able to figure this out.
    01-11-12 12:08 AM
    Most of the books on loan from a library are encrypted with DRM and canNOT be loaded on the pb and just simply read. You need something to strip off the drm (google might help).

If the file you downloaded was an acsm (ascm???) or whatever - that is NOT a book file. It is kind of a token that the adobe reader uses to retrieve the ebook and then the adobe program unencrypts it for reading in the appropriate reader.

The other day a number of people added links to a thread on free/cheap UN-drm book sites. If you search for "baen" you might be able to find it.
    01-11-12 12:34 AM
    There is no Overdrive app for the playbook yet.
    You can sideload it with the beta.
    01-11-12 01:09 AM
    I'm expecting to see some Overdrive and related stuff come out with or a bit after 2.0, since it will be the first release to contain the DRM capabilities required to support those properly.
    01-11-12 08:37 AM
    01-11-12 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD