I wouldn't be surprised to see VLC have an app come out for it.
    Yea, I heard that rumor circulating, but no support as of now...They really can't confirm much, and a lot of the people there were reps. I had a very long chat with a trainer as well as a rep (close to an hour total) and I picked hard but came up short. Got a LOT of smiles about certain things though...can only mean good things

anyone by chance see if the had the FCC stamp on the bottom on the PBs there?
    No, these were demo units pulled from different locations. No FCC stamps.

Wait a sec, you said the models you saw today are the final product but none of them have the lock screen even though the trainer says it exists? Is it something we'll be seeing after OTA at launch?
    Final product in terms of hardware and capabilities. The trainer said they receive OS updates nearly every day and it always comes with new features, functions, and capabilities. The core features and abilities are there. In terms of a lock screen, I was told that is usually one of the last things they do as it deals less with function and more with aesthetics but I will tell you this, it will be programmable in the options menu what your power button does!
    04-07-11 09:39 PM
    interesting how none of these have an fcc stamp and all models across the continent have different pb os
    04-07-11 09:47 PM
    I tried to get the manufacturer of the screen - All I got was "I be very happy with who makes it"

What that means to me...Corning - Gorilla Glass? When I mentioned it, big smiles...

The FCC lockdown and NDAs prevented them from telling me for certain, but I guess we'll wait and see...

*Also* we were showed a demo of the PB multitasking on HDMI output. Apparently you can separate the output streams on the device to the extent where you can watch a movie on your big screen while still use the PB to browse, play games, etc...and it did it all with ease. Even the volume controls don't affect the movie playing, the stream is completely autonomous.
    Last edited by theruined; 04-07-11 at 10:00 PM.
    livejam and Jerzeydevil like this.
    04-07-11 09:53 PM

*Also* we were showed a demo of the PB multitasking on HDMI output. Apparently you can separate the output streams on the device to the extent where you can watch a movie on your big screen while still use the PB to browse, play games, etc...and it did it all with ease. Even the volume controls don't affect the movie playing, the stream is completely autonomous.
    Presentation Mode. Main page post earlier this week. I have been to lazy to watch it however.
    theruined likes this.
    04-07-11 10:28 PM
    Presentation Mode. Main page post earlier this week. I have been to lazy to watch it however.
    Yea I heard it was a very recent addition...so it's nice to see that you can present and read your presentation notes at the same time...

It's an awesome feature
    04-07-11 10:31 PM
    Yea I heard it was a very recent addition...so it's nice to see that you can present and read your presentation notes at the same time...

It's an awesome feature
    Did it seem easy to use?

How about it being realistic to use on a personal or consumer side not necessarily in the board room. Thought it was neat but trying to figure out how I would use it.
    04-07-11 10:44 PM
    BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

please us it for half an hour and tell us the before and after.

ALSO.... uhhh drop it on the floor and try to scratch it with your keys.. i want to see what the durability of this bad boy is!
    04-07-11 10:50 PM
    What softwares comes pre-installed for the PlayBook?

Documents to Go?
    Yes, (sorry I missed this one) Premium - For Free as RIM acquired Dataviz a while back

Did it seem easy to use?

How about it being realistic to use on a personal or consumer side not necessarily in the board room. Thought it was neat but trying to figure out how I would use it.
    Very easy. One click. The only downside is that you're still connected to an HDMI cable so I'd imagine you don't have much room for movement unless you're source is close by...

I think outside of business use it wouldn't be very useful until wireless sync with wifi enabled TV's/Projectors is possible

Sorry for the video delay, YouTube is being a pain...
    bengyeow likes this.
    04-07-11 10:53 PM
    BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

please us it for half an hour and tell us the before and after.

ALSO.... uhhh drop it on the floor and try to scratch it with your keys.. i want to see what the durability of this bad boy is!
    Haha...all the devices were locked down, but I played with a rep's PB probably at the beginning of the event, and then again 2.5 hours later...I could tell you I saw the same one go down maybe 2%.

I kept asking for specs - as we know its a 5300mAh battery...doing some quick math leaves me to think it can last 24-36 hrs idle and 12-14 hrs live...

Of course, it all depends on how rigorous your usage is. When I asked the more technical rep he noted that "I never feel pinched", briskly implying it will last a while on one charge - I'm guessing at least 8-12hrs

But they're still working on optimizing it via the OS

And durability...I actually did take a key to the screen when no one was looking (which was almost never) and i really leaned into this thing...didn't scratch or dent and the screen didn't give at all (which is why I really think this is Gorilla Glass!)
    04-07-11 11:00 PM
    And durability...I actually did take a key to the screen when no one was looking (which was almost never) and i really leaned into this thing...didn't scratch or dent and the screen didn't give at all (which is why I really think this is Gorilla Glass!)

o.O
    04-07-11 11:05 PM
    Very exciting news, thanks for sharing
    04-07-11 11:05 PM
    put up those videos already! we want to see please!
    04-07-11 11:12 PM

My other video is close to 13 minutes and 733mb...at my girlfriends house and her internet sucks, will post it once I get home!!! Promise!
    doug1010, Intosh and Jerzeydevil like this.
    04-07-11 11:14 PM

My other video is close to 13 minutes and 733mb...at my girlfriends house and her internet sucks, will post it once I get home!!! Promise!
    Aaaggghhhhh I can't wait lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 11:18 PM
    Wow. That's awesome. Ten days? Man I want this now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 11:23 PM
    Haha.

I got a fun question.

Say now I am in the presentation mode, then I rotate the device. What will happen on the projector screen? Become portrait mode?

XD
    04-07-11 11:30 PM
    Haha.

I got a fun question.

Say now I am in the presentation mode, then I rotate the device. What will happen on the projector screen? Become portrait mode?

XD
    The other video posted of presentation mode, the guy said the orientation is locked by default when you plug in the HDMI cable.
    I guess you can change it in options if you really want :P
    04-07-11 11:33 PM
    The other video posted of presentation mode, the guy said the orientation is locked by default when you plug in the HDMI cable.
    There's actually an orientation LOCK feature xD

and no it won't be affected regardless...the streams are autonomous
    04-07-11 11:36 PM
    I'm getting really excited over the Playbook! It has some very cool features. And I love that it looks smooth and fluid, not slow like my torch.
    04-07-11 11:42 PM
    Great info...now I cant wait!
    Plus I love the "amateur hour is over" line

Anything on customizing the notification corner?

What about the audio in presentation mode projecting a presentation/movie while playing a game? Does the big screen audio follow the presentation/movie or will the game sound project on top of it too?
    Last edited by livejam; 04-07-11 at 11:51 PM.
    04-07-11 11:45 PM
    Good to know!
    04-07-11 11:53 PM
    There's actually an orientation LOCK feature xD

and no it won't be affected regardless...the streams are autonomous
    autonomous... hmmm.. so do we set what's the output stream or it's selected automatically? how does PB know if I want to keep playing videos or actually show others the game I am trying to switch to?

Thanks~
    04-07-11 11:58 PM
    Great info...now I cant wait!
    Plus I love the "amateur hour is over" line

Anything on customizing the notification corner?

What about the audio in presentation mode projecting a presentation/movie while playing a game? Does the big screen audio follow the presentation/movie or will the game sound project on top of it too?
    Haha yea I liked that too...

Notification wasn't on the models with Bridge yet since they were running 1.0.1.1320 vs the other models running 1.0.1.1500 due to the fact that Bridge wasn't yet supported by the newer OS (according to them)

From what I gathered though, it wasn't customizable in terms of location - since every corner of the PB does something unique - but in terms of color, intensity, frequency, vibration...I am thinking it would be, but that is just my speculation

As for presentation mode - as I previously mentioned, the audio streams are autonomous meaning they are separate...so volume button doesn't affect whats on HDMI and HDMI doesn't affect whats on your PB screen. Very slick indeed

The unit that had PM on I didn't play with, but from what I saw afterwards, it was simply switching the output stream. To change the volume on the HDMI screen I believe you'd go to the options menu and change it from there. I wouldn't imagine needing that all too much though
    Last edited by theruined; 04-08-11 at 12:01 AM.
    livejam likes this.
    04-07-11 11:59 PM
    You're on it theruined! Good work
    04-08-11 12:06 AM
    As for presentation mode - as I previously mentioned, the audio streams are autonomous meaning they are separate...so volume button doesn't affect whats on HDMI and HDMI doesn't affect whats on your PB screen. Very slick indeed

The unit that had PM on I didn't play with, but from what I saw afterwards, it was simply switching the output stream. To change the volume on the HDMI screen I believe you'd go to the options menu and change it from there. I wouldn't imagine needing that all too much though
    Very sweet. It would be nice if you could confirm the Silverlight support for us, but I guess we can always wait till the launch. =P

Notification wasn't on the models with Bridge yet since they were running 1.0.1.1320 vs the other models running 1.0.1.1500 due to the fact that Bridge wasn't yet supported by the newer OS (according to them)

From what I gathered though, it wasn't customizable in terms of location - since every corner of the PB does something unique - but in terms of color, intensity, frequency, vibration...I am thinking it would be, but that is just my speculation
    Btw, I've only learned that the top-left corner is for message notifications. What are the other corners for?
    04-08-11 12:10 AM
132 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD