So this is an attempt to list the downloads for most PlayBook applications
    Official instructions+ resources
    deploy app (bar):
    change filename of *.fxp to *.zip, extract the *.bar file
    Open a command prompt/terminal.
    Navigate to the bin-debug subfolder of your project.
    Type
    Code:
    blackberry-deploy -installApp -device (ip address of simulator) -package (full path to .bar)
    Verified (worked for me)
    AIRHelloWorld (FXP + .bar file)

RSSReader (FXP + .bar)

CrackBerry Launcher (fxp + .bar)

Unverified (didn't install/crashed on launch)
    TwitterTrends (FXP)

CrackBerry Launcher (xml + swf)
    OR:
    Last edited by grahamf; 01-12-11 at 03:30 PM.
    10-27-10 05:29 PM
    i am sooooo tempted to write an app for the playbook for the chance of a free one but i haven't written a line of code in my life, besides a noob website i did way back in highschool
    10-27-10 06:31 PM
    I have taken a programming course in school, but it was C++ and I've forgotten most of it. So far I'm problalby going to focus on Java if anything.
    10-27-10 06:37 PM
    I have taken a programming course in school, but it was C++ and I've forgotten most of it. So far I'm problalby going to focus on Java if anything.
    i don't know what kind of code adobe requires, if they have their own or if it is C++ or java or something, but i think you only have a chance for a free one if you use the adobe platform to make your app, right?
    10-27-10 06:40 PM
    i don't know what kind of code adobe requires, if they have their own or if it is C++ or java or something, but i think you only have a chance for a free one if you use the adobe platform to make your app, right?
    It has to be approved for BB App World and be written in AIR.
    10-27-10 06:42 PM
    yea its Adobe AIR apps only, they are normally written in ActionScript 3.0 if that helps, much the same as flash
    10-27-10 07:03 PM
    I put the CrackBerry launcher into Flash Builder and it works (unfortunately with some missing bundle errors. not sure what's that all about) For me it seems to take a few tries to launch though.
    10-28-10 10:37 AM
    Fixed the download links for AIRHelloWorld and CrackBerry Launcher. thanks for pointing it out.
    10-28-10 01:10 PM
    You don't create apps in Adobe Air, just display them, you can use "HTML, JavaScript, Flash and ActionScript to build web applications that run as standalone client applications without the constraints of a browser" (from adobe), i think you can also use c++ and Ajax
    10-29-10 12:30 PM
    So, nobody is working on other PlayBook applications?
    if you could just provide the .bar file (that's the end-user executable and not the source code), then I can add it to the list
    10-29-10 12:36 PM
    I would love to but I am still trying to figure out how to load apps with the command file in Windows. I'm pretty confused here. I don't have to have flash builder 4 to just install apps into the Playbook simulator do I?
    10-30-10 03:52 AM
    I would love to but I am still trying to figure out how to load apps with the command file in Windows. I'm pretty confused here. I don't have to have flash builder 4 to just install apps into the Playbook simulator do I?
    no, you just need to install the folowing (free)

Java developer kit
    Adobe AIR SDK (extracts to a folder. My recommendation is My Documents/Dev/AIRSDK/
    Blackbery PlayBook SDK (don't integrate with Adobe Flash Builder, and select My Documents/Dev as the folder. it will create that folder.

And to run it:
    Ensure that the simulator is running with dev mode enabled
    use the run command to launch "CMD"
    type "cd " (allows you to switch folder)
    drag the "My Documents/Dev/BlackBerrytabletsdk-x-x/bin" folder into the command prompt window, hit enter
    type blackberry-deploy it should show you the help menu.
    one should show up as -deploy -installApps -devoce <deviceip> -source <bar file>
    follow that command, substituting the Simulator's IP address when needed and drag the .bar file in when needed (ignore the .deploy part. that's included in typing "blackberry-deploy)

I'm thinking of uploading the .VMX/.VMDK files of a fully installed simulator, so people just need to install it into VMWare to try out the apps. anyone interested?
    10-30-10 12:03 PM
    Thanks grahamf! I think I was doing it right but I always hit a problem in the CMD window. When I get to the blackberry-deploy part it says

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I'm guessing it's cuz I don't have the java developers kit installed? I'll try it now and see if it works.

BTW I added you on BBM so we can discuss the BB SDK if you ever have time. Either way I appreciate the help!
    10-30-10 05:51 PM
    Ok I got it to work but I followed the official instructions from the link you posted on your first post in this thread. It told me to use this command and it's a little different than what you just told me.

blackberry-airpackager -package output_bar_file_name -installApp -launchApp
    project_name-app.xml project_name.swf any_other_project_files
    -device IP_address

But you told me to use the -deploy command instead. Same results? I'm confused by a lot of this sorry.
    10-30-10 06:22 PM
    Switched to sourceforge. now it should be easier to download.
    Alt-F4 likes this.
    10-31-10 12:11 AM
    Ok I got it to work but I followed the official instructions from the link you posted on your first post in this thread. It told me to use this command and it's a little different than what you just told me.

blackberry-airpackager -package output_bar_file_name -installApp -launchApp
    project_name-app.xml project_name.swf any_other_project_files
    -device IP_address

But you told me to use the -deploy command instead. Same results? I'm confused by a lot of this sorry.
    Sorry. -deploy is for the precompiled .bar files, -airpackager is for the uncompiled .xml ans .swf files. I prefer the .bar version because it has the application icons that I created (except on the RSS app. that one's RIM)
    10-31-10 12:55 AM
    Sorry. -deploy is for the precompiled .bar files, -airpackager is for the uncompiled .xml ans .swf files. I prefer the .bar version because it has the application icons that I created (except on the RSS app. that one's RIM)
    ohhhhh that makes a lot more sense now. Thanks
    10-31-10 04:02 AM
    UPDATE: The simulator is now beta2 BlackBerry - Tablet OS Development Resources
    01-12-11 03:28 PM
    Has anyone gotten their app approved yet? If so, how long did it take? I just submitted mine tonight.
    01-17-11 01:57 AM
    Has anyone gotten their app approved yet? If so, how long did it take? I just submitted mine tonight.

I submitted mine on the first day they would let me and it's been "waiting on test house" since Dec 10th. No new information about it since then.

Very few apps have been approved that people know about. I don't think they were prepared to handle this many apps at once, so they are probably very backed up.

Who knows how many existing BB vendors are submitting PB apps. But they said they got over 1,000 new vendors since they announced the PB giveaway. That tells me that at least 1,000 vendors signed up just to do PB apps. So I'm sure they've got their hands full.

I do wish they would hurry up and give me some news. At this point I don't care if I get rejected or approved, I just want to know either way. I'm sick of freaking out every time I get a new email on the weekdays
    01-17-11 12:55 PM
    I'm sick of freaking out every time I get a new email on the weekdays
    erm, sorry to tell ya they approve apps EVERY day of the week!!

they actually test apps on device itself (or it might be sim, not 100% but they test in some form) so im guessing your right they have alot to plough thru and physically testing each one is gonna take time, could always drop em a line thru the help form though, they might be able to advise whats goin on.

generally they take (for phone stuff) anything from 5 to 10 days in my experience
    01-17-11 03:03 PM
    No more freaking out for me, I just got the approval email and confirmation that I will be receiving a free PB. Finally
    Last edited by Witmen; 01-19-11 at 09:30 AM.
    01-19-11 08:13 AM
    No more freaking out for me, I just got the approval email and confirmation that I will be receiving a free PB. Finally
    Congrats!

What was your app? Did they tell you when you will be receiving your playbook? Are they just giving out the base model/can you pay extra to upgrade it? Can I have it?
    Witmen likes this.
    01-19-11 09:45 AM
    Congrats!

What was your app? Did they tell you when you will be receiving your playbook? Are they just giving out the base model/can you pay extra to upgrade it? Can I have it?
    Thanks!

It's a app for timing your solves on the Rubik's cube. No word on when they will be sending them out. Although I have heard developers will be getting them as soon as the hardware is ready. We are suppouse to get them a while before launch so we have time to test out our apps and make sure they function correctly. From what I know it will be the 16 Giger, and I've heard a lot of people say they think it will be upgradeable for a fee. But I haven't heard anything official about upgrading.

BlackBerry App World - Puzzle Timer

01-19-11 10:07 AM
    Is there a way to find apps by device in appworld? I can't seem to find that option - I'd like to see what other playbook apps are there.
    01-19-11 10:23 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD