05-29-13 02:21 PM
61 123
tools
    So assuming BB10 finally arrives for our PB, and we go ahead and install/upgrade. What happens next? What great things should we expect? Will we suddenly have access to all of the apps available for the BB10 phones? Will we have better support for sideloading Android apps? Will we get access to Skype, Netflix and Instagram via sideloading?

I'm happy with my PB the way it is. For a 2 yr old tablet, it does what I want it to do. I know other PB owners want more, but I don't need my PB to do more than what it currently is capable of. The last thing I want is for my PB to upgrade to BB10 and transform itself into a broken heap of plastic.
    hreiner1 likes this.
    05-24-13 10:25 PM
    but I don't need my PB to do more than what it currently is capable of
    You kidding us, right?

Is your last name starts with "H"?...

Posted via Z10
    rupam95 likes this.
    05-24-13 10:34 PM
    Mostly I'm looking forward to improved boot times. After that: having access to the BB10 library, and an improved bridge.
    MrRtic likes this.
    05-24-13 11:09 PM
    I just want working email . . .
    chr1sg likes this.
    05-24-13 11:17 PM
    Let's be realistic here, if and when it arrives.. everyone is just gonna complain some more about something else about the PlayBook. It's too slow, why is it laggy, how come they removed this, why did they do that, when's the next update, WTF APPROVED THIS RELEASE, THORSTEN SHOULD BE FIRED!? lol. You all know it's true.
    05-24-13 11:20 PM
    At least, BlackBerry fulfill their promises...

At this moment, the questions still remains the same anyway i.e. It's too slow, why is it laggy, how come they removed this, why did they do that, when's the next update?...

Posted via Z10
    05-24-13 11:22 PM
    In my opinion BB10 should be run like OS2.1 why ?

- Screen resolution
    - Optimalisation for Tablet (user interface stay like in OS2.1- this is best solution for tablet device )

So stop saying stupid question like ... Laggy, too slow, and just wait. We should be happy on this update.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 Using Tapatalk
    scrapmetal58 and SK122387 like this.
    05-24-13 11:43 PM
    ^^If (and only if) BB10 comes finally to PlayBook, let's go back to your "opinion" and those you considered "stupid questions".... sounds fair?...

Posted via Z10
    05-25-13 12:12 AM
    Personally, I'd be happy with proper bridge support and a faster browser.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 12:25 AM
    Let's be realistic here, if and when it arrives.. everyone is just gonna complain some more about something else about the PlayBook. It's too slow, why is it laggy, how come they removed this, why did they do that, when's the next update, WTF APPROVED THIS RELEASE, THORSTEN SHOULD BE FIRED!? lol. You all know it's true.
    Exactly. It's a 2 yr old tablet. Just be happy with whatever bones they throw at it. BTW, I still like my PB.

I bought it(64 GB) at full price when it came out, sighed every time it didn't do what I wanted it to do, was happy when the update came. But really, how long can anyone expect a product to be updated any more?
    Last edited by finallybb; 05-25-13 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Ducking, I'm sure I'll be pelted.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-25-13 12:30 AM
    I really enjoy my playbook, I think the only thing blackberry really needs to update is the browser settings, as some sites don't work properly and maybe some touch settings as well.
    05-25-13 12:34 AM
    I just want all the bridge functionality I have BEFORE I upgraded my phone to Z10. I want SMS, BBM, EMAIL etc available via BB Bridge. Come on BB, this was my biggest disappointment about upgrading.
    FF22, solomon_grundy and bozvandam like this.
    05-25-13 12:36 AM
    More complaints I presume. I have a PlayBook and I'm somewhat content with it. So whether BlackBerry brings BB10 to it or not I can't complain. I wouldn't expect BB to update an old tablet by now, but if they do I'll take whatever come to me. Spec wise I'm not expecting full on BB10, we might have stuff missing some functionality left out but something is better than nothing and even if its nothing I could care less. A Q10 will be in my hands soon enough.
    Thunderbuck and CDM76 like this.
    05-25-13 12:43 AM
    But really, how long can anyone expect a product to be updated any more?
    I agree with the general idea that all products have a life span.. one thing that bothers me however, is that a BBM app will be available for iOS and Android likely before BlackBerry 's own Playbook. And if they decide to release BBM for iPads and Galaxy tabs before the PlayBook, then even I as a genuine fan of BlackBerry will consider walking away.

Posted via CB10
    stberry likes this.
    05-25-13 12:46 AM
    Regarding the PlayBook being old, I have to compare to apple at this point. I've never owned an iPhone or iPod, but I do know that when they update the OS, they do it to all their devices. My brother has an iPod touch that keeps getting updated. I don't see why, even if the PlayBook is 2 years old, it shouldn't be updated. We may not have fully functional OS10 but they should do SOMETHING with it. As I said before, at least improve the browser and restore the bridge for OS10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 01:12 AM
    Personally, I'd be happy with proper bridge support and a faster browser.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you brother,just give me bb bridge back with all its functionality...and I'll be a happy camper.Faster browser --I'm not in that much of a hurry!!
    bozvandam, B Pretto and CDM76 like this.
    05-25-13 02:38 AM
    Regarding the PlayBook being old, I have to compare to apple at this point. I've never owned an iPhone or iPod, but I do know that when they update the OS, they do it to all their devices. My brother has an iPod touch that keeps getting updated. I don't see why, even if the PlayBook is 2 years old, it shouldn't be updated. We may not have fully functional OS10 but they should do SOMETHING with it. As I said before, at least improve the browser and restore the bridge for OS10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Apple does not offer updates indefinitely.

iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you own an original iPad you are limited to 5.1.1 which was released a year ago and since they are now up to 6 I think we can safely say that it won't be seeing another update. It was first released April 3, 2010 and the last available update was released May 7, 2012 so they supported software updates for 2 years on the first device. The Playbook is now just past that mark. Obviously BB is not apple, otherwise I wouldn't be here...

On another note, at this point I see two options for BB, either they release some form of BB10 for Playbook or they leave the tablet business forever and never look back. Given that it has been less than a year since they introduced the LTE version here in Canada I can't see them abandoning that product so quickly so if they release BB10 for that then we should see it on the wifi model unless it REALLY needs the modest spec increase that came with the LTE version.

If they don't release at all they will never be able to market another tablet again since too many will remember the commitment that was made then quietly forgotten about. Lately they have been saying that tablets are not the future and they are not a priority for BB so to be honest it would not surprise me if they just dropped the idea, or gave a BB10 lite and said here is your update but except for a major security flaw we won't be doing anything further.

Personally all I really want is Bridge email/contacts/calendar and the ability to run a few aps like skype on the Playbook. I don't use netflix so I am good there and otherwise it does pretty much everything I want it to do as is. Skype would be great though, video call with friends on iOS or pc would be great, though as I said I am not holding my breath for the update.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    05-25-13 03:03 AM
    I still don't get it... some of us don't care whether the PlayBook will gets update or not but we want "bridge" to fixed and some improvement on browser, and probably ability to run some BB10 apps and games...

Does someone know if it can be done without upgrading the current OS of the PlayBook?
    05-25-13 03:13 AM
    The reason of this situation may be work on BB10 project for PB ;-)

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 Using Tapatalk
    05-25-13 03:50 AM
    I wasn't aware apple dropped support for the first iPad. However, you bring up a good point regarding the LTE PlayBook. Agreed it has slightly better specs than the Wifi only versions. A lite version of the OS would be a good option. And definitely proper bridge support. I used to use my PlayBook much more when I could text and BBM from it.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:32 AM
    Yeah, a number of their legacy devices are no longer supported, they also discontinue updates to their computers as well. OSX is not a guarantee of continued support.

From my understanding android is even worse when they release a new version in regards to upgradability.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:45 AM
    Didn't know that about Android either. I've only ever had BlackBerry for myself.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 05:27 AM
    You kidding us, right?

Is your last name starts with "H"?...
    He said "I don't need my PB to do more than what it currently is capable of", the word you are misunderstanding is need.
    You want your Playbook to do more than it is. If you needed it you would have moved on by now.
    05-25-13 07:49 AM
    So assuming BB10 finally arrives for our PB, and we go ahead and install/upgrade. What happens next? What great things should we expect? Will we suddenly have access to all of the apps available for the BB10 phones? Will we have better support for sideloading Android apps? Will we get access to Skype, Netflix and Instagram via sideloading?

I'm happy with my PB the way it is. For a 2 yr old tablet, it does what I want it to do. I know other PB owners want more, but I don't need my PB to do more than what it currently is capable of. The last thing I want is for my PB to upgrade to BB10 and transform itself into a broken heap of plastic.
    Seems some people are happy with getting less for their money and to buy every 2 years something new...because yeah...the maximum age of our electronic gadgets is 2 years...Do not uptdate then, but why bothering us with your opinion then...
    05-25-13 10:40 AM
    Seems some people are happy with getting less for their money and to buy every 2 years something new...because yeah...the maximum age of our electronic gadgets is 2 years...Do not uptdate then, but why bothering us with your opinion then...
    Because it is a forum that is meant for discussing things like opinions. What makes your opinion anymore valid than his, you want your playbook to do more, he is quite happy with how it is and was really just pointing out that it doesn't NEED to be updated for him and that he continues to use it just fine. If anything your sentiment seems to be that tech needs to be replaced, in this case the tech is simply software instead of hardware.

IMHO (hope I don't offend anyone by posting an opinion in this forum) as I have said I simply want back the things that were removed in this latest "update", Bridge email/calendar etc.
    CDM76 and FF22 like this.
    05-25-13 12:01 PM
61 123