Keep the current wifi models and price points:

32GB at $249
    64GB at $299

Perfect for Junior High and High School students.

Then, in August, back-to-school, launch 4G PlayBooks as follows for road warriors, college students, etc:

64GB, 4G PlayBook 7" at $399
    64GB, 4G PlayBook 9" at $499

128GB - 4G PlayBook 7" at $499
    128GB - 4G PlayBook 9" at $599

Capture the low-end AND the high-end of the market with innovative, professional grade products all running BB10 and rock the house.

Be bold (tm)
    06-10-12 11:26 PM
    9" would be good.

I'd go a 9", 4G, 128GB, 2GB RAM, Retina Buster Display...
    06-10-12 11:41 PM
    or maybe expandable storage?
    Stewartj1, sagec and Hobbes2099 like this.
    06-11-12 12:56 AM
    Mass storage support please!

Whatever happened to the promises earlier??
    06-11-12 04:19 AM
    If anything like that is going to happen it needs to be now before tablet sales flatten and RIM is still worth something.
    06-11-12 05:16 AM
    This plan won't work, my thoughts:

-They have stopped making the 32GB and 64GB PB long ago. At $250 and $300, RIM is losing money so no more PB will be made once the inventory is sold. They don't have a low end device unless they want to lose money or make inferior hardware.

-You assume that people are waiting for the 4G version. They are not. Most people do not want to pay for another data plan and the extra cost of a 4G device.

-IF (big IF here) students by the PB, it will be for run, not work. Try doing a resume or creating a presentation on the PB (or any tablet) and you'll see how painful/slow it is compared to using a laptop.

Like HP, RIM has/will lose the tablet war. To save money, they will focus on their core products and cut losing ventures like the PB. BB10 is their chance to sell the company at a decent price.

Be (realistic) tm
    06-11-12 09:06 AM
    Right now the PB is the best 7inch tablet available. The KF is essentially a remote control to purchase from Amazon, it reminds me of the transistor radios that Bloomberg News were giving away on the street that picked up only one station- Bloomberg News!!
    It's frustrating because I see the PB as the true inspiration for the forthcoming 7in tablets from Apple and Android. It hold its own very well against the new iPad very well in terms of processing power and display. I wish the PB were able to stake it's claim. Hopefully Cascades, BB10 and a USB host will change things. Perhaps if RIM were able to find a partnership, either through carriers or some other third party, it would not have to bear the burden of marketing on it's own. As it stands the PB is an excellent device yet the public is unaware of this.
    06-11-12 10:28 AM
    Unfortunately the PB is inferior to any full Android tablet in terms of ease of operation, availability of apps, reliability of performance, etc.
    There are far better Android 7" tablets available, by Toshiba, Acer, Huawei, etc.
    06-11-12 10:54 AM
    Unfortunately the PB is inferior to any full Android tablet in terms of ease of operation, availability of apps, reliability of performance, etc.
    There are far better Android 7" tablets available, by Toshiba, Acer, Huawei, etc.
    apps may be but I am yet to find a Android tablet that doesn't lag, stutter and the browser won't crash while it plays flash. Playbook is heads and shoulders above in that regard.
    Ninjatogo, ALToronto and Hawnz like this.
    06-11-12 11:07 AM
    apps may be but I am yet to find a Android tablet that doesn't lag, stutter and the browser won't crash while it plays flash. Playbook is heads and shoulders above in that regard.
    Asus Transformer should fit your criteria, but it still stutter a bit and it's expensive
    06-11-12 12:04 PM
    ease of operation? playbook >> any other tablet. You just need to learn the gestures and you'll be skating with your fingers on the playbook like a professional skater on ice.

availability of apps? I don't know about you, but there are plenty of them to keep me busy. New apps comming out every single day.

reliability? okay, it's a bit glitchy here and there, but it's never completely died on me yet.

performance? it's performance is better than most Android tablets, the only tablet the playbook loses to is the new Ipad, but hey, you're paying 3x more, calculate your benefit to cost ratio.
    06-11-12 07:56 PM
    My father in law just got a transformer prime. The OS seemed pretty sloppy. Performance was blah and the hardware felt cheap. The display looked washed out and the pixels were noticeable.

Better app selection for sure, but nothing mission critical.

So much for your "inferior to any..." argument.
    Last edited by sagec; 06-11-12 at 11:12 PM.
    06-11-12 08:29 PM
    4g pb's are coming next month, not august.
    06-11-12 08:29 PM
    My father in law just got an transformer prime. OS seemed pretty sloppy. Performance was blah and the hardware felt cheap. The display looked washed out and the pixels were noticeable.

Better app selection for sure, but nothing mission critical.

So much for your "inferior to any..." argument.
    Agreed, the Playbook is a much better constructed tablet than the transformer, with a much, much better screen.

To be fair, RIM thought they were designing a $500-$800 tablet when they designed it. So of course it uses high quality parts and construction.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-11-12 at 11:52 PM.
    06-11-12 08:56 PM
    Total agreement with you. The Samsung Tab 7.7 might be better, but not for the price.
    06-11-12 11:05 PM
    Does the PB have better security against Malware? Or is the PB just a less tempting target for the Malware Creators?

Sent an email to an associate last week (her hotmail address), got a reply from her (sent from her Asus Transformer) - have received spam emails from her hotmail email address ever since... (apparently she is only using her Transformer at the moment for email, as her laptop has packed up....)
    06-11-12 11:11 PM
    Does the PB have better security against Malware? Or is the PB just a less tempting target for the Malware Creators?

Sent an email to an associate last week (her hotmail address), got a reply from her (sent from her Asus Transformer) - have received spam emails from her hotmail email address ever since... (apparently she is only using her Transformer at the moment for email, as her laptop has packed up....)
    I think that has more to do with her hotmail then her Transformer. But the PB is less tempting. Like Macs use to be less tempting the a PC.
    06-11-12 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD