The next iteration of the Playbook has been announced. It looks good although sports only minor upgrades (i.e. no radical changes).

The 1.5 dual core is a great update, but it's still OMAP 4 (time to get OMAP 5 onboard?).

Same 1Gb RAM.

The 3G is also compelling, but we have yet to see how much carriers will charge you to use it. Maybe more cost-effective to use the Bridge (including phone purchase costs).

The usefulness of NFC is unclear at this point.

The major letdown is the battery. It looks like they sacrificed the battery capacity (down to 4800mah from 5300mah) to fit the 3G and NFC modules inside the same body.

And with the higher clock SoC, 3G and NFC modules enabled, this can translate into a much shorter battery life.

What do you think? Any other observations and thoughts?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-26-12 at 02:08 PM.
    01-26-12 02:03 PM
    i think i like my 1st gen pb just fine
    01-26-12 02:10 PM
    With bridge and wifi hotspot which gives me the ability to use the net for free, I see no benefits for upgrading.
    The processor speed will make no difference for me; everything is super fast for me already
    01-26-12 02:12 PM
    I hope that there is a prepaid data option on this version (like the iPad). I've never understood why carriers treat most tablets like phones and make people accept contracts. I know you can pay the no-commitment price - but you will get charged the activation fee for each non-consecutive month.

Anyway, If the price is right I'll get one. I hope it's no more than $499 for the 64GB version of this model.
    01-26-12 02:14 PM
    let's not

01-26-12 02:14 PM
    I'm happy with mine, bridge is all I need for browsing, thanks to Rroyy.
    artie likes this.
    01-26-12 02:17 PM
    Rumor and News.
    01-26-12 02:19 PM
    I don't see this upgrade as for being for the consumer but more for corporations with money to pay for 3G and use for NFC, for something like inventory.
    01-26-12 02:21 PM
    Tablet carrier plans are already set. The Playbook is no different.

I didn't think OMAP5 was available yet?

Keep in mind, this isn't a Playbook 2. This is a Playbook with cellular capabilities added. They just decided to improve a couple specs to keep it competitive since technology changed when our current model launched.

If you are thinking this is a Playbook 2, you would be disappointed... and wrong.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 01-26-12 at 02:24 PM.
    kennyliu and artie like this.
    01-26-12 02:22 PM
    I'm happy with mine, bridge is all I need for browsing, thanks to Rroyy.
    Agreed and all this endless dissecting of what's wrong with it/what's it lacking is boring.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-26-12 02:24 PM
    The next iteration of the Playbook has been announced. It looks good although sports only minor upgrades (i.e. no radical changes).

The 1.5 dual core is a great update, but it's still OMAP 4 (time to get OMAP 5 onboard?).
    OMAP 5 won't be out till around Christmas....Maybe the NEXT Playbook will be OMAP 5
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-26-12 02:26 PM
    Why would any consumer pay for a separate service for a tablet when for $20 in the USA you can have hotspot and tether any phone to your tablet? Or use a BB phone and do it for free over bridge. And outside the USA they don't evencharge to tether.
    01-26-12 02:45 PM
    cause the tablet data plan is also $20 and you don't need a phone.

But I agree, its ridiculous we even have to pay for tethering in the US. $20 for 2GB is freaking ridiculous also.
    01-26-12 02:48 PM
    Guys,
    Since PB 3G is in plan,
    do you think no more plan for RIMM to release BBM on 1st gen PB ??
    01-26-12 02:57 PM
    The next iteration of the Playbook has been announced.
    Wait... "announced"?

Where was the announcement?

Or are you referring to the leak of internal slides? (which I wouldn't trust to give 100% accurate specifications about the future product)

Leaks aren't announcements, even if they're intentional.
    louzer, Hgouck and kennyliu like this.
    01-26-12 02:58 PM
    OMAP 5 won't be out till around Christmas....Maybe the NEXT Playbook will be OMAP 5
    Right. Sorry I thought it was supposed to be out Q2-3. It looks like it'll be out Q4 or Q1 of 2013.
    01-26-12 03:01 PM
    Wait... "announced"?

Where was the announcement?

Or are you referring to the leak of internal slides? (which I wouldn't trust to give 100% accurate specifications about the future product)

Leaks aren't announcements, even if they're intentional.
    "The next iteration of the Playbook has been internally leaked" sounds kinda weird to me For what it is, we at least know what they may be cooking for us..
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-26-12 at 03:09 PM.
    01-26-12 03:06 PM
    I like the fact that the picture looks like the same form factor as the original Playbooks. If this ends up being the case, new accessories will work on original Playbooks as well as new ones. That is, of course, if there is any accuracy to the leaks.
    01-26-12 03:16 PM

Same 1Gb RAM.

The 3G is also compelling, but we have yet to see how much carriers will charge you to use it. Maybe more cost-effective to use the Bridge (including phone purchase costs).

The usefulness of NFC is unclear at this point.

The major letdown is the battery. It looks like they sacrificed the battery capacity (down to 4800mah from 5300mah) to fit the 3G and NFC modules inside the same body.

And with the higher clock SoC, 3G and NFC modules enabled, this can translate into a much shorter battery life.

What do you think? Any other observations and thoughts?
    To me an upgraded Playbook should be quad-core processor, 4G LTE, 2GB RAM, NFC, 6000mah, 7MP front camera 10MP rear camera, O.S 2.0.
    That seems like a winner tablet to me!
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-26-12 03:20 PM
    To me an upgraded Playbook should be quad-core processor, 4G LTE, 2GB RAM, NFC, 6000mah, 7MP front camera 10MP rear camera, O.S 2.0.
    That seems like a winner tablet to me!
    You forgot APS-C CMOS sensor with Carl Zeis lens with 10x optical zoom and optical stabilization for both cameras, the quad core being core i7 Ivy Bridge, and 4K display
    AugustArborists likes this.
    01-26-12 03:26 PM
    You forgot APS-C CMOS sensor with Carl Zeis lens with 10x optical zoom and optical stabilization for both cameras, the quad core being core i7 Ivy Bridge, and 4K display
    Thanks for correcting me those just slipped my mind, I also forgot gorilla glass version 2!
    01-26-12 03:31 PM
    I don't really consider this the next generation of the PlayBook. Maybe a refresh? I'd hope that RIM would put more upgrades into something they'd describe as being "next generation." Upgrades are always welcome, but I think these additional features are more to get the people on the fence about buying one..to buy one, and isn't really a big attempt to get us current PlayBook owners to spend another few hundred dollars buying something that's essentially the same....
    01-26-12 03:32 PM
    "The next iteration of the Playbook has been internally leaked" sounds kinda weird to me For what it is, we at least know what they may be cooking for us..
    Actually, all you are doing is perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors. Even the responsible media outlets (using the phrase loosely) refer to it as rumor. The forward thinking roadmap stuff, even with pictures, means absolutely nothing in the real world. Look for some patent and trademark filings, if you think something might be out in the next few months. BTW, if it is true and RIM puts out a 3G device, they might as well sell out to one of the several companies that would still like to buy the company before it becomes a fire sale. The things that will be hitting the streets are 4G, and the major US carriers (for the most part) will not touch non-4G devices unless they are from Apple. Verizon has been outright rejecting new phones from manufacturers if they are not 4G LTE compatible.
    01-26-12 03:58 PM
    I don't really see the real benefit... I'm sure from a marketing perspective It's great to announce ''1.5 Ghz Dual Core performance!'' while the iPad2 is stuck on 1 Ghz and 512 megs of ram, however that's an entire different SoC, but the main consumer would't see that.

By the time this thing is out, Samsung has their new SoC too which is rumoured to be 1.8 Ghz, so even from a marketing perspective from that POV, it doesn't make much sense.

The form factor seems to make sense, they are filling a gap in the market atm, while Samsung is cathing up with RIM (Tab 8,9 and even the smaller one). The Form Factor/Performance is the only thing I can think of why this should make sense....

Ramble Ramble Ramble.
    01-26-12 04:15 PM
    RIM shall release a new Playbook on the same day as a new iPad come's out!
    Except with better specs and O.S 2.0, just to make the iPad look like a piece of garbage!
    01-26-12 04:18 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD