The left speakers on my playbook is not working and I was wondering how if anyone had any troubleshooting ideas on that.
    07-09-13 09:52 PM
    Have you tried the same song/source using headphones? How about on another stereo device?
    07-09-13 10:05 PM
    How old? Warranty?

I guess it is not just that one tune? As mentioned - with headphones? You might move a headphone jack in and out a few times to make sure nothing is interfering. Be gentle.

There are videos and tear-down instructions but I'm not sure as you could mess something else up.
    07-10-13 12:03 AM
    Warranty outdated and yes, the songs work with both headphones, just not left speaker.
    How old? Warranty?

I guess it is not just that one tune? As mentioned - with headphones? You might move a headphone jack in and out a few times to make sure nothing is interfering. Be gentle.

There are videos and tear-down instructions but I'm not sure as you could mess something else up.
    07-10-13 07:30 AM
    Reinstall the OS
    07-10-13 09:46 AM
    This is worst case here so try the easy repair steps first (check the settings icon for sound settings in the PlayBook's settings area (gear icon), also reload the OS from the DeskTop (yours may be corrupted - you will lose all data from the device so back it up first).

Now on to physical repair: speaker parts can be obtained through eBay fyi for not too too expensive. Ifixit's teardown BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit will guide you to repair as well as YouTube's videos on PlayBook teardowns or repairs. I've cracked open two PlayBooks already to fish around and remove the motherboards of the units I had. It's not hard to do. Ifixit gives it a 7/10 (10/10 being easiest) repair score. The hardest part are the thin ribbons inside. if you don't take care not to damage them, you'll end up with a bricked device. See step 5 photo #1 BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit in that photo you'll see a ribbon cable connected to the motherboard by a long thin rectangular connector. It's black and beige in color. The black part is a hinge that rotates upward (towards the sky) in a 90 degree angle. Do not try and pull it horizontally but rather flip it upwards. I am telling you this from experience as I wrecked one of the ribbons on one device I had because it wasn't explained on how to remove it and I forced it and tore the ribbon cable. All other cables are pop-off's meaning they are just clipped on a snap like connector. Using a small screwdriver will disengage each snap-connector. Just be gentle.

FYI, Step 9 point 3 says this: The speakers conveniently use pressure contacts to make an electrical connection to the motherboard. So yours could simply be loose perhaps.

Anyhow, once you get down enough in the dissasembly, you can replace your speakers with new ones you bought through eBay.
    07-10-13 11:42 AM
    Left speaker on my 32 GB PB doesn't work either. Pegged it down to a lose connection. With a song playing I press hard with a finger on the front just slightly to the left of the power button and the speaker works. Take my finger off and no sound again from the left.

Having read the above post I may yet venture to tearing it down to see what's up. My 64 GB still sounds excellent so it hasn't been a big priority.

Dunno if it will be the same on yours but at least you'll know if it's hardware or software related.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 12:58 PM