Hi All,

Just a heads-up that Amazon has a leather PlayBook case for $2.45 + $2.98 shipping . I ordered one to replace the standard neoprene sleeve and figured that for $5.43 I could throw it away if it was awful. It arrived yesterday and is actually quite nice. Ignore some of the reviews on Amazon saying the die cuts don't line up correctly and that the case border interferes with swiping on the PB -- those folks are either idiots who aren't using the case correctly or they received a different product that what I got since mine fits and functions fine. Here's the item:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Stand-...bUvbUpU7480972
    ike1973, slotime, rexrim and 2 others like this.
    06-27-12 08:38 AM
    Thanks for the heads-up BBMINI. I just went over to amazon.ca and picked one up for $4.80 delivery included.
    06-27-12 09:38 AM
    The pics show that the charging port is blocked and you need to move a "flap". Is that true? Could you post a closeup?
    06-27-12 09:47 AM
    The pics show that the charging port is blocked and you need to move a "flap". Is that true? Could you post a closeup?
    I saw that photo and comment as well and wondered why they would ever design something like that. Then when I got the case it turns out there's no flap covering the charge port when the PB is installed correctly -- the case has a long "flap" that wraps around the bottom of the PB to hold it in place, but it tucks perfectly under the back of the PB for a solid hold, and so when it's correctly tucked into place there's a die cut hole that allows access to all the ports along the bottom of the PB. The photo of the guy holding the flap in his hand while charging tells me he didn't install it correctly and must be pretty annoyed by what he thinks is a design flaw . . . but it's actually user error instead.

The case does, however, have to be open to get to the port, but it's no big deal since the cover folds completely under the PB without getting in the way of the ports.
    06-27-12 10:08 AM
    I think I'm going to get one and experiment with it by cut off the leather that holds the playbook in place.
    Then I'm going to glue a PB soft shell case onto the shell thats left.
    The magnets will not work to hold it shut but I think you will get better edge protection and you won't have the flap to deal with when you want to charge it.

Hey for 5 bucks I dont have much to lose.
    06-27-12 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the heads-up BBMINI. I just went over to amazon.ca and picked one up for $4.80 delivery included.
    10-4. Glad you got one. For $5 it's hard to go wrong.

Welcome to CrackBerry, by the way.
    ike1973 likes this.
    06-27-12 10:14 AM
    Hey for 5 bucks I dont have much to lose.
    That was my thinking as well. After seeing the comments about people clipping the edges to make room for the front-facing camera, swiping, etc, I figured that for $5.00 I'd cut it up like crazy if I had too, or just throw it away if it was terrible.

Turns out all the die cuts are correctly placed and I can't figure out how/why anyone would have had to cut it up for any reason . . . other than user error. Or maybe to make a customized version like you plan to do.
    Last edited by BBMINI; 06-27-12 at 11:39 AM.
    06-27-12 10:18 AM
    I bought one - $4.80 (shipping included) to Canada!
    06-27-12 10:24 AM
    I got the same case off ebay from China a while back, and I'm happy with it (paid maybe $7.00 for it delivered). It seems pretty decent quality, all the ports, controls and speakers are exposed, and bezel swipes are not a problem.
    06-27-12 10:51 AM
    I have a Targus Truss case and had to do a bit of trimming to give me a bit more "swipe" on the bottom bezel so that's not a problem. I didn't want to open the "bomb bay" every time I needed to charge.

Thanks
    06-27-12 10:55 AM
    I bought the same case a few weeks back and couldn't be happier with it, especially for the price. None of the ports or cameras are blocked by anything. Overall, it's a pretty decent case IMO.
    06-27-12 11:16 AM
    I ordered one of these from Hong Kong the week I got my first Playbook. A gal at work had one from the same ebay seller and I was impressed at its basic 'rightness'. That was about $7 w free shipping. Took over 2 weeks to get here.

It is in fact thin polyvinyl coating with a thin fabric backing, all bonded to a sandwiched sturdy cardboard.

The diecutouts are well done and accurate with plenty of swipe room. They protect the front and back and most of the sides. I have a screen protecter and it covers the edges of that preventing peeling - easy to wipe clean from all that spittle that ultimately speckles our screens.

I see Amazon.ca has it for a similar attractive price and I have ordered a second one - 3 playbooks.
    Leather Case w/ Stand for Blackberry Playbook, Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics

It is an ideal solution for shlepping the playbook out and about and at work, and the magnetic flap makes for a secure 5/8" thick package. The stand works but not too sturdy, but for Flip & Go I like its simplicity and yeah, what a bargain.

Eventually the vinyl on the edges will wear away exposing the white fabric substrate but what do you require in a cheap serviceable protective book cover? Run a black Laundry marker along the edge as needed and you'll never notice. It's not a precision designer case but it is well made and sewn.
    I have dropped mine a few times on concrete and although the PB corners are exposed mine has sustained no cosmetic damage - lucky drop - but did cushion it from shock & shatter. Fortunately the thin profile makes it easy to grip compared the the official RIM PB case stand.

I don't like wrestling with RIM's rigid rubber case tray and have replaced all my OEM folio/book trays with the microthin polycarbonate CaseMate Barely There. Nice compliment to the Playbook all on it's own, matching the grippy texture of the Playbook.
    http://crackberry.com/case-mate-bare...berry-playbook
    Last edited by Old Davy; 06-27-12 at 12:52 PM.
    06-27-12 12:21 PM
    Just ordered it. Thanks

Bob
    06-27-12 03:33 PM
    I have this case I give it a 3 out of 5
    It looks great
    feels like a book
    love the flap

But...
    The charging port is blocked which in retrospect is probably a good idea
    Its CHEAP! trust me with this case super glue is your friend
    the corner where the magnets are at are not....well the glue isn't the best quality
    It does not cover the corners of your device.
    over time the trim comes off...
    Attachment 113038

Attachment 113039

Attachment 113040

Attachment 113041

now in the case's defense I have had it since December

as you can see by the photos I provided my playbook is in its natural Habitat.....Next to my non-existent blackberry 9930
    Last edited by lui22; 06-27-12 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Because i can and you can't
    06-27-12 08:29 PM
    @ lui22 ^^ -- in your 3rd photo of the PB being charged, have you tried tucking that flap underneath the PB? That hole that's just above the flap that you say covers the charging port is supposed to allow access to all the ports along the bottom of the PB without having to "uncover" anything. Try tucking that flap under the PB to hold it in the case more securely while also having ready access to the ports. The PB should slide far enough into the case to allow the hole to fold down and line up with the ports.
    rsmit107 likes this.
    06-27-12 09:15 PM
    "Material: Synthetic Leather with Suede Interior." plus magnetic closure, don't think this is the case I want for my playbook, but if you are on a severe budget then maybe, but for a few dollars more...

I got the leather Blurex convertible case for $15 shipped on Amazon (same as the $15 Brookstone.com leather clip case) about a year ago and it is still in perfect condition after daily use on my playbook.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-28-12 06:18 AM
    for $4 (CDN) this is a no-brainer. nice to have an extra case around
    06-28-12 07:35 AM
    I don't like how the corners are exposed. In the photos that lui22 posted #2 you can see how the case did not protect the corners and the results look like a buggered up PB.
    Say what you like about the OEM cases but I think the hard plastic rubber going all the way around the edges most likely would have prevented the damage to the PB.
    06-29-12 02:45 PM
    I don't like how the corners are exposed. In the photos that lui22 posted #2 you can see how the case did not protect the corners and the results look like a buggered up PB.
    Say what you like about the OEM cases but I think the hard plastic rubber going all the way around the edges most likely would have prevented the damage to the PB.
    Good point and another plus for the Blurex or Brookstone clip case which each have excellent protection on the corners.
    06-29-12 09:35 PM
    07-02-12 09:30 AM
    @ lui22 ^^ -- in your 3rd photo of the PB being charged, have you tried tucking that flap underneath the PB? That hole that's just above the flap that you say covers the charging port is supposed to allow access to all the ports along the bottom of the PB without having to "uncover" anything. Try tucking that flap under the PB to hold it in the case more securely while also having ready access to the ports. The PB should slide far enough into the case to allow the hole to fold down and line up with the ports.
    Yeah I have the same case and thought it was pretty obvious that that flap went around the bottom and tucked up in, leaving the ports exposed. Kind of amazed there's anyone out there who didn't automatically realize that when they put their PB in the case.

The only thing I don't like about the case is the magnets knock What's Up's compass off by a few degrees, but I just take it out of its case if it's important to be precise at the time.
    07-02-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD