I won't comment on this any further unless I have some progress to report, it doesn't help anyone when the thread turns into a "s/he said" argument. I did go on a rant, and it's not the first time I've done it and it probably won't be the last. I thought that was one of the purposes of these forums, to express how we feel to a group of like minded individuals. If you weren't someone who used it on a daily basis I can completely understand why I seem off base. There are others here that I'm sure feel as frustrated as I do.

What about the ability to roll back to a previous version so that if the previous functionality was of more value to us then the features offered by the newest software? There is no RIM sanctioned means to roll back if that's what we'd like to do, so we're left in a lurch. For the record I know there's been other updates that people would have liked to roll back from (1.0.6 gpu acceleration fiasco, devs couldn't even test their apps properly), so this is something that needs to have an official path for sooner rather than later.

Why did I go on a rant? Because I don't want to carry my iPad with me for a few menial tasks that I was able to get done on my PB. RDP is something I use on a daily basis and one of the main reasons my PB sat at home for the first few months, why carry two tablets? I love my BB, but RIM is making it difficult to extend the same feelings towards the PB.

As far as the OS itself being matched to the AP, you're partially right there. 2670 had references to the Android player and most of those references still exist in 2942. But if it was just a library or another core file then it would still create the proper file structure, that's done by scripts. And as you can see from the directory list, those folders are no longer present and were never created. That would mean that they modified things so heavily that scripts can no longer be run by native system apps, not a likely scenario.

Matched to the OS? Sure, I think that's very probable. Unable to function because of such massive changes in an incremental update? That's the part I'm not buying...

Ohh well, at least the wife has a TouchPad to use now and she won't miss the iPad as it goes back to work with me tomorrow. No time to dink with this project for now, but I will be picking it up soon enough. And until then, I'm going to remain silent on the issue so that I don't upset anyone else with my rants.
    08-24-11 09:18 PM
    HaTax - agree with your sentiments about being able to roll back, and intentionally closing the door. You put a lot of work into it and absolutely are welcome to rant freely.

Having been off CB most of the day, I popped back on (after upgrading both OS and Bridge) and was elated to find the new data over bridge, and sad to see the AP and Market things disabled. I'd have been FURIOUS if we hadnt gained something large with this update - if it was just a bug fix, and they disabled AP, whoa nelly, lots of RIM hate.

I do feel like they gave us a big carrot though. Clearly the best upgrade yet. Half notch back with the AP out, but again - its forward motion - and for RIM of late, I'll take it.

Thanks HaTax, and thanks RIM for doing something right for for a change. Not totally right (AP) but mostly right

---

Separately - Hatax : Any clue about the underlying file structure/data post upgrade, did it get deleted? Should those of us who had AP and your Market upgrades installed delete whats left?
    08-24-11 11:11 PM
    As for me, i used the Android Player on a daily basis for SSH connections. I don't have any other tablet and this leak has enabled me to use my PB instead of my notebook in many ways.

I'm as frustrated as HataX because the applications accessible through this leak were filling a part of the gap between a personal and professional usage. I bought a PB mainly because i have a BB phone, and this leak had permitted to complete my professional needs with a comfort usage.

Beyond these considerations, i hope that a workaround will be found very soon and i thanks Hatax again for all the work already done and future to make it possible.
    Mojoski and thetnaung like this.
    08-24-11 11:16 PM
    Wow we get some good stuff today and then get complaints about about something that isn't supported yet. Oh well.
    What good stuff did we get today I must have missed it, was it email, bluetooth, spellcheck, android apps?
    08-24-11 11:26 PM
    What good stuff did we get today I must have missed it, was it email, bluetooth, spellcheck, android apps?
    Really?

Walk outside away from Wifi with your bridged BB and Playbook. Open some apps. Report back.

"Some" good stuff. Agree, we're all still waiting on email/AP etc, of course, but its forward progress for sure.
    08-25-11 06:11 AM
    Re: Lawguyman and Howarmat... I'm sorry I didn't provide specifics, but for what I would think are obvious reasons I didn't name the source.

I worked at RIM for 8 years - and the last few in senior positions (and I left by my own choice). I think I might have some connections internally. 90% of the stuff I see on here comes without any type of undeniable proof so I didn't think it necessary, but hopefully this satiates your wishes and makes it credible enough for you. If not, I could really care less... I was trying to provide some information to help people understand what was going on behind the scenes and if this is the kind of reception someone gets then what kind of community are you trying to create? I'm not a troll or a liar... I'm a RIM fan and proud of it - even though I know they have fallen from their glory days when we invented this whole market. I think we need to take things down a notch... or three, and give some people the benefit of the doubt.
    I hear where you're coming from, but you have to understand that over time a lot of things have been posted on the forum based on a "I have it on good authority" and they ended up being completely wrong. We've had people who claimed to have RIM sources and Carrier sources and the information didn't pan out. So, yes, you should be given the benefit of the doubt, but you also have to give people here a break if they have an honest skepticism to a claim someone is making without provable sources.
    08-25-11 07:00 AM
    For those saying RIM gave you something and then broke it you're wrong. Someone leaked the player and some of our very intelligent members made it work better than intended.

It sounds like the player is still coming and not a leaked one so RIM did not give you something and then took it away or broke it. I can see where some want and got use to the player but you knew it was a leak and this might happen with updates......right?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 08-25-11 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
    08-25-11 07:16 AM
    Re: Lawguyman and Howarmat... I'm sorry I didn't provide specifics, but for what I would think are obvious reasons I didn't name the source.
    If your friend shares info about the reasons the Android player is not working maybe he can share more useful information?

How about getting and sharing information like when we can expect to see some good updates? You know, like the release of the Android player itself, email. etc. What about third-party apps?
    08-25-11 07:41 AM
    Lawguyman... I didn't want to kill anyone's hope on this so I didn't say anything before, but it sounds like the 'big' drop is October with all the goodies, unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat. The door was left open though for some goodness in September but this individual didn't want to get into specifics for that. I also realize this seems pretty wishy-washy, but just putting up what I heard since you asked.
    For what it's worth I am pretty happy with the current build as it seems to have stopped my PB from having to be rebooted 70% of the time when I picked it up after leaving it for awhile charging or otherwise. I would love to see native email and android sooner but it looks like they have learned from their mistakes and are wanting to make this gold before we get it (I can't blame them!!)

HaTaX - I agree it would be nice to see the ability to 'rollback', however I guess I can also see RIM's point in not having this. They have a pretty tight system now where they can minimize the number of moving parts by making everyone move forward with builds in a lockstep fashion (if they choose to upgrade). If I was running things there I think I would want the same, especially from a support standpoint. Being able as support to say 'Hey, you're on an unsupported build now get on to the new one' is pretty powerful. I realize from a user standpoint how it could suck when something is 'broken' (even something not released) but hopefully as they get through the early stages (which we're clearly still in) they will break less things. Re: matching - could it be that those directories are created when the android player is compiled? That would explain why they're not there now as well... Or maybe it was a mistake in that build (and could make it more obvious that the leak was planned?) I didn't get in to gory details with this person but their explanation seemed to make sense. And I don't see why they'd tell me something incorrect but maybe it's the company 'line'... Anyways, you seem to have the skillset to make some real positive change for this device so maybe you'll turn to the NDK?! Please oh please? And give us some other goodies that are needed! : )
    08-25-11 08:11 AM
    Lawguyman... I didn't want to kill anyone's hope on this so I didn't say anything before, but it sounds like the 'big' drop is October with all the goodies, unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat. The door was left open though for some goodness in September but this individual didn't want to get into specifics for that. I also realize this seems pretty wishy-washy, but just putting up what I heard since you asked.
    For what it's worth I am pretty happy with the current build as it seems to have stopped my PB from having to be rebooted 70% of the time when I picked it up after leaving it for awhile charging or otherwise. I would love to see native email and android sooner but it looks like they have learned from their mistakes and are wanting to make this gold before we get it (I can't blame them!!)

HaTaX - I agree it would be nice to see the ability to 'rollback', however I guess I can also see RIM's point in not having this. They have a pretty tight system now where they can minimize the number of moving parts by making everyone move forward with builds in a lockstep fashion (if they choose to upgrade). If I was running things there I think I would want the same, especially from a support standpoint. Being able as support to say 'Hey, you're on an unsupported build now get on to the new one' is pretty powerful. I realize from a user standpoint how it could suck when something is 'broken' (even something not released) but hopefully as they get through the early stages (which we're clearly still in) they will break less things. Re: matching - could it be that those directories are created when the android player is compiled? That would explain why they're not there now as well... Or maybe it was a mistake in that build (and could make it more obvious that the leak was planned?) I didn't get in to gory details with this person but their explanation seemed to make sense. And I don't see why they'd tell me something incorrect but maybe it's the company 'line'... Anyways, you seem to have the skillset to make some real positive change for this device so maybe you'll turn to the NDK?! Please oh please? And give us some other goodies that are needed! : )
    Folks i believe this is credible info. Remember Kevin also blogged about the big update coming in the fall instead of these little monthly updates. And if they do get something out in sept then we really haven't lost the monthly schedule.

Besides the loss of our beloved leaked Android Player, this build has almost made up for it in my mind with the increased functionality of the bridge. I can now use my 3rd party apps!!!!! And as our friend points out it IS a more stable build.
    08-25-11 08:35 AM
    I'm assuming the issue stems from the changes to the networking stack that allows the PB to use the bridge connection for connectivity in place of wifi.
    The network stack won't have changed much. The different network interfaces have always been available (bridge, wifi). It would only be a routing table update to allow this to work -- steering the default route based on interface availability and some policy. Some apps may still be explicitly binding their outbound interface on purpose (ie. app world), but most would not.
    08-25-11 09:07 AM
    Damn i read this 5 minutes AFTER I upgraded.
    lol... I started reading it just as it was updating and asked for th reboot.

Although I don't mind as we shouldn't have had it in the first place. We all know it's coming and I prefer the new features as I rarely used the Android player.
    08-25-11 10:14 AM
    yes it sucks that rim took away the android app. but did anyone stop to think they took the 'broken' one away to pave the road for the 'fixed' one. you gotta strip away the bad before laying down the good.
    steve911 likes this.
    08-25-11 10:18 AM
    yes it sucks that rim took away the android app. but did anyone stop to think they took the 'broken' one away to pave the road for the 'fixed' one. you gotta strip away the bad before laying down the good.
    lo im not holding my breath on that one....this is RIM who has been late on everything with this device so far
    08-25-11 10:40 AM
    lo im not holding my breath on that one....this is RIM who has been late on everything with this device so far
    you gotta have faith
    08-25-11 10:43 AM
    have this one company looking at the playbook for use in their business. they are giving it two weeks. i was planning on showing them its all possible with the android app player. now i have nothing
    08-26-11 03:02 AM
    tryin to sell playbook using android leaked/beta player. seriously?
    08-26-11 05:05 AM
    I hope that he was only showing what the potential REAL android player was capable of doing if/when it is actually released - by SUMMER!
    08-26-11 09:47 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD