There are no visible cracks on my screen when the playbook is off, but when it is turned on, part of my lcd display remains black. There appears to be a crack down the middle, however, everything else is in perfect condition and it hasn't been abused by any means. Will the factory warranty cover it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 09:07 PM
    probably not but you might as well call the factory and try.

10-17-11 09:15 PM
    You wont lose anything. The screen is already broken, trying wont hurt. Good Luck!
    10-17-11 11:49 PM
    Did you drop it on the floor?

If so, do you expect RIM to give you a new tablet?
    10-18-11 01:01 AM
    He said "it hasn't been abused by any means." so I don't think he dropped it. If it is a manufacturing defect I bet they will fix it. I have had very good experiences with RIM and their support staff. Call them up and see what happens, you might be able to get a replacement for it if all else fails.
    10-18-11 01:09 AM
    Did you play freesbie with our big finger friend randomact?

If RIM don't cover it, check this link, you have probably a friend who could help you

Genuine Replacement 7" Touch Screen Digitizer for PlayBook - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    10-18-11 02:10 AM
    They'll probably cover it, especially if there's no damage to the outside of the device (and thus no proof that you dropped it), or water damage on the inside.
    10-18-11 02:28 AM
    screenshot?
    10-18-11 05:24 AM
    They'll probably cover it, especially if there's no damage to the outside of the device (and thus no proof that you dropped it), or water damage on the inside.
    I hope so. There isn't even a scratch on it and hasn't been exposed to water.

10-18-11 05:35 AM
    i bought my son a 16gb that had a line right down the middle of the screen which made me think they may be fabricated as two pieces like they did with large ccds. Since it was the only playbook the store had in stock, i kept it and Blackberry express exchanged it for me.

If your problem is exactly half the screen, it is probably something related either to fabrication or electrical contact, both of which should be covered under warranty.
    10-18-11 06:51 AM
    Did you play freesbie with our big finger friend randomact?

If RIM don't cover it, check this link, you have probably a friend who could help you

Genuine Replacement 7" Touch Screen Digitizer for PlayBook - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Thats just the digitizer not the LCD.
    10-18-11 06:52 AM
    I sent mine in for the same thing. they want over $300 to fix it. I had them send it back. I will try to fix it on my own. BTW taking it apart is not as simple as the videos on youtube would lead you to believe.
    10-18-11 07:37 AM
    I sent mine in for the same thing. they want over $300 to fix it. I had them send it back. I will try to fix it on my own. BTW taking it apart is not as simple as the videos on youtube would lead you to believe.
    Didn't you drop yours and wasn't it a physical crack in the screen? Was your crack right down the middle?
    10-18-11 08:23 AM
    In another thread I posted the shop's name. They are on Front Street right by the CN Tower. They fixed it for me after I tried to repair it using the youtube instructions and failed... they don't show you the tricky bits... are trying to sell you screens. Anyway, these folks took my digitizer and replaced it within 2 hours for around 125. They have digitizers as well. If it really is the LCD, you may have more fun with the parts... didn't see those on ebay. RIM's warranty is 90 days. Mine was dropped so I didn't even try with them.
    10-18-11 02:04 PM
    I have a squaretrade warranty with accidental damage protection. If you can still qualify I'd try getting that. Then wait the 60 days before trying to get it repaired.
    10-18-11 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD