The LCD in my PlayBook has died due to water damage, my coat pocket not being as water-proof as I thought.

I was going to just go ahead and order a replacement LCD, but after opening it up and having a peek inside, I'm wondering if the motherboard may only/also need replaced.
    The cable connecting the screen to the motherboard seems to have been damaged, as well as the connector itself.

My camera doesn't take great close-ups, but you can make out the black spots in this photo: i.imgur.com/5aRSO.jpg

I think it is some sort of burn, as when turning the tablet off when the screen starting misbehaving I heard a fairly loud hiss before the screen went completely dead.

Thanks for any help!
    08-09-12 05:36 PM
    Giving this one bump hoping for an answer, otherwise I'm just buying a new PB, having to replace both parts is barely cheaper than buying a new one anyway.
    08-12-12 06:40 AM
    I would take my device (any device for that matter) to a Service centre and let them figure it out if something like that every happened to me..
    08-12-12 06:50 AM
    I would take my device (any device for that matter) to a Service centre and let them figure it out if something like that every happened to me..
    Not without opening it up first and getting rid of as much evidence of water damage as possible. The solder on pcb boards goes gray after being subject to water after a day or so. Nothing a soft brass brush (or toothbrush ) can't remedy.
    08-12-12 07:08 AM
    A service centre would likely refuse to fix it since 5 of the 6 water damage indicators are red, and the last is about half red. I'm not sure if it's possible to make them appear white again, but even if it were I'd feel really bad about doing it since it was broken by my error.
    08-13-12 12:38 PM
    my advice....the north face

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    08-13-12 04:48 PM
    Plastic Zip Lock bags come in all sizes. I suggest keeping some in your bag at all times. They have saved my electronics quite a few times over the years
    08-13-12 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD