I played with the ipad mini. Only thing better about it is that its thinner.
    12-05-12 04:49 PM
    Has anybody noticed that Windows 8 software is very much similar to that of the Playbook.
    It just looks different and is used on you know laptops and desktops.
    12-05-12 05:11 PM
    I played with the ipad mini. Only thing better about it is that its thinner.
    I played with it awhile yesterday and i did love the thinness. i did not like how wide it was. The N7 is not near as wide and love that about it. I can hold it one handed from side to side. Its thin also but i dont know if its thinner than the ipad mini
    12-05-12 05:13 PM
    I played with it awhile yesterday and i did love the thinness. i did not like how wide it was. The N7 is not near as wide and love that about it. I can hold it one handed from side to side. Its thin also but i dont know if its thinner than the ipad mini
    That is why I purchased the Nexus 7. It's not as wide as the Ipad mini which makes for crazy one handed usage. I sometimes forget it's a tablet.
    12-05-12 05:44 PM
    I wonder what would have happened for the Playbook had they reviewed the 4G Playbook instead of just the WIFI version?
    12-05-12 08:16 PM
    Has anybody noticed that Windows 8 software is very much similar to that of the Playbook.
    It just looks different and is used on you know laptops and desktops.
    I think we can start a fundraiser for new glasses for you if you think windows 8 and Playbook OS look anything alike.
    12-06-12 01:03 AM
    I think the PB is getting put down because its an old device compared to others, I mean if you look at the pixel density, its extremely laughable.
    12-06-12 02:19 AM
    I picked up the Galaxy Note 10.1 the other week, and imo it blows any other tablet away. The multitasking is by far the best i've seen on any tablet, and that includes the PB.

EDIT: Here's a quick demo I did to showcase the true multitasking of the Note 10.1 (which is also available now/soon on the GSIII and Note 2 phones)

Last edited by Rickroller; 12-06-12 at 10:19 AM.
    randall2580 and brianatbb like this.
    12-06-12 09:21 AM
    wheni read that nexus 7 has more features than playbook and yet it does not even have rear camera I say that this "review" is full of crap

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-06-12 09:54 AM
    That is why I purchased the Nexus 7. It's not as wide as the Ipad mini which makes for crazy one handed usage. I sometimes forget it's a tablet.
    Nexus 7. FTW!
    12-06-12 11:13 AM
    wheni read that nexus 7 has more features than playbook and yet it does not even have rear camera I say that this "review" is full of crap

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    How many times have you seen someone taking a pic with their iPad? Remember how ridiculous they looked? And now you want to do it on a PB?

Seriously, front camera for Skype or other video calls/chats. I have an 8MP camera on my HTC Rezound, it's always with me because it's my tether to network on my Nexus 7 when not around wifi.
    Drew808 likes this.
    12-06-12 11:15 AM
    How many times have you seen someone taking a pic with their iPad? Remember how ridiculous they looked? And now you want to do it on a PB?

Seriously, front camera for Skype or other video calls/chats.
    This. I honestly fail to see the point in rear cameras for tablets. I've seen people running around functions holding up tablets to take photos, and needless to say, they look like fools. Front facing makes sense for video chat, but rear?

As for the Nexus 7, the lack of HDMI out support (even via MHL adaptor) was the ONLY thing that stopped me from buying that tab..which was disappointing to say the least. However, i'm very happy with my Note 10.1
    12-06-12 12:53 PM
    Apps! iOS and Android have them (both high quality and free). Other OSes don't.

BB have never been particularly cool (Apple basically thrived on this alone... Samsung status has also improved a lot) and it has been stripped of it's "high class" status. With those out of the picture they are playing in the same league as all the other brands which means it's up to design, build, hardware, software and cost quality/ratio... but most of all usability/function and this means apps. They may keep some niche customers in business but that won't get them their spot back.

Regardless of design, build, hardware or OS (not counting the cost/quality ratio... the original price was quite exagerated... RIM hasn't yet properly adjusted their pricing) without the apps to back up the PB it was doomed to fail. It's true RIM can't control what 3rd party devs do (they can only influence them to some point) but they can surely deliver better apps out of the box and what they have done leaves much to desire.

I actually bought my PB for work (I can't remember the last time I played a game on it). The overall hardware and quality build, coupled with the convenient size and sale price (and the promise of Android application compatibility) made me choose this device back in January.

The majority of my daily usage consists of building a database (xls) and reading pdf (consult/study)
    Sheets to Go is not that full featured. It has saved me a lof of hours but there's only so much I can do on the go. A few issues have been solved and some minor features added but it still falls short: you can't delete/insert rows/columns, no mass resizing, no filters, no calc wizard/menu, no dynamic objects, no graphs (but the issue is it'll lock editing on documents with the latter, regardless what or where...for one lock only the sheets with said components).
    Adobe Reader on the PB is a joke (Adobe didn't even try to match the features on Android and iOS) but what I don't get is why wasn't the Docs to Go PDF Reader ported (it's way better than Adobe's... it's available for iOS and Android! And RIM owns Dataviz! WTH right?). I bought "Pdf Reader" (it's native and has a seach and bookmarks) but mostly use "Repligo Reader" for study since the first lacks highlight/annotation (bad sign when you have to buy an app for a basic feature unsupported by what you provide... worse when you must use apps from competing platforms).
    The web browser is not that good. Page handling has improved a bit (well at least now I can browse XDA without it closing). But basic features such as bookmark management are still too basic. Forget about html5 for now and give me the basics before! Want to stand out? It would be great if for once a manufacturer gives anti-tracking and adblocking (like ABP and Ghostery) out of the box.
    The email client at least groups Yahoo mails into conversations (threaded emails... I very much regret still using this email account for some things). When answering an email one can't configure the quotation behavior (or I missed it) but what's worse is that I can't seem to select text to delete it (or cut/copy/paste).
    As for video it would be nice if it supported subtitles embedded in mkv subs or srt files out of the box. Same for flv (everything that's needed is there is already there).
    File management is almost non-existent (and I hate the mandatory "library" behavior of the native browser). Why not display the actual folders and add copy/cut/paste, mkdir and rename? Most complete free and native alternative is Air Browser (though Ghost Commander is more featured)
    No USB otg or connection without BB soft on the PC / Mac (stuck if not the desktop admin have no wifi). Also no files over BT (still the most universaly available method to share files with mobiles)

That said the OS core itself is quite good. The early versions of iOS and Android were rubbish (and Microsoft actually made WinPhone worse than WinMo)... But the apps... IMHO 9th place is kind (but you make a very valid point about the evaluated parameters) . I feel like the PB was the beta of the upcoming gen... It's not yet the final product every working man/woman needs.
    Last edited by joaosousa; 12-06-12 at 04:50 PM.
    brianatbb likes this.
    12-06-12 01:43 PM

Seriously, front camera for Skype or other video calls/chats. I have an 8MP camera on my HTC Rezound, it's always with me because it's my tether to network on my Nexus 7 when not around wifi.
    Well, I"m one of those idiots that loves to use her playbook to take pictures. And don't forget the HD video. Its so handy to keep in my purse. I use it constantly as both a still camera and a video camera. I like the big viewscreen to see what I am shooting. I almost never use the camera on my Curve.
    12-06-12 06:17 PM
    The rear camera is potentially great for professional purposes. For example if you are a doctor and want to show a case to a colleague.

There are a lot of serious activities like that when you want to show things to other people. Architecture is one of them.
    12-06-12 06:34 PM
    I get that having the camera is a good option to have but in all cases i would much rather use the camera i have on my phone. Its always with me and my tablets are not. There is no benefit to using the camera on the PB for me, i think i have used it 2 times to make sure it works. I think many people who dont use tablets for camera use mostly dont use a BB as their main phone also. Android and iphone cameras are just better on most devices than the 99xx and other blackberry phones. I suspect that once people get bb10 phones they wont be using the PB camera as much if at all also since it they will have fantastic cameras in them also.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-06-12 06:50 PM
    I get that having the camera is a good option to have but in all cases i would much rather use the camera i have on my phone. Its always with me and my tablets are not. There is no benefit to using the camera on the PB for me, i think i have used it 2 times to make sure it works. I think many people who dont use tablets for camera use mostly dont use a BB as their main phone also. Android and iphone cameras are just better on most devices than the 99xx and other blackberry phones. I suspect that once people get bb10 phones they wont be using the PB camera as much if at all also since it they will have fantastic cameras in them also.
    I think their is some truth to this. I would say when I'm home, my playbook usually travels with me from room to room so it is the first camera I reach for. As far as a video camera goes, I would always opt for my playbook I think. It takes great videos and the larger screen is nice in my opinion. I love it for home movies of the kids. But I also want something equivalent or better on my next phone if at all possible. My phone will always be about emails and communication before anything else but I see no reason why I can't have a great camera to go along with it.
    12-06-12 07:06 PM
    usually who ever spends some money marketing gets good reviews. I do not put much stock in any reviews. if you have a tech site or your a TV network you don't bite the hand that feeds you. i look around and i see a lot of ads for apple, the surface, and Samsung. a lot of money being spent.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-06-12 07:40 PM
    I think in large part the reason folks use their PlayBooks for video is because the camera on the PlayBook is so much better than on the BB phones. However if I have a PlayBook and a Galaxy SIII or and iPhone I am not using the PlayBook to do video I am using the smaller, easier to controll device with the better camera and software.

Lets see if folks still use their PlayBooks for video when BB10 phones start rolling with 8mp cameras and the software to manipulate it.
    12-06-12 08:41 PM
    I have never used the camera on the playbook, just seems too big and awkward for me. I am old school I guess, I still bring my handy, outdated (7 megapixel) HP digital camera to take pics and video and the quality on this camera is better than anything else I used. I even bought a nice HD camcorder for video and it also takes pictures, that just sits in the closet too.
    12-07-12 06:45 AM
    I picked up the Galaxy Note 10.1 the other week, and imo it blows any other tablet away. The multitasking is by far the best i've seen on any tablet, and that includes the PB.

EDIT: Here's a quick demo I did to showcase the true multitasking of the Note 10.1 (which is also available now/soon on the GSIII and Note 2 phones)

Some fanboys still won't believe anything but the PB can do multitasking.
    12-19-12 10:15 AM

can you do this on a Nexus Tablet?
    12-19-12 10:32 AM
    You know given that this is 2013 Tablet review and Playbook is almost two years old now and it is still in first #10 best tablets is actually pretty impressive. Not to say that i do agree with this assessment .Low score on ease of use is just idiotic. How is Nexus 7 easier to use than Playbook is just beyond me.
    12-19-12 05:31 PM
48 12