I'm just laughing because your thread is like someone recording himself robbing a bank and then presenting the video to the judge in his own defense.

no seriously.... joke post, right? haha good stuff man, I like your clever dry wit, you even managed to sucker 4 pages worth of people, good one!
    Kojjax likes this.
    01-07-12 01:38 AM
    It's a joke guys and he's loving every minute of it.

A mod should close this thread.
    01-07-12 03:22 AM
    When I simply try to scroll up or down, it keeps mistaking vertical swipes for horizontal swipes ALL THE TIME! I typically do long swipes with my pointing finger.
    iPad handles this wonderfully. This happens when page is fit to width by double tapping.

The customers wouldn't get a good first impression of the product on retail demo units in stores.
    RIM, Fix the basic scrolling!

Hasn't anyone else been annoyed by this?
    I'm just laughing because your thread is like someone recording himself robbing a bank and then presenting the video to the judge in his own defense.

no seriously.... joke post, right? haha good stuff man, I like your clever dry wit, you even managed to sucker 4 pages worth of people, good one!
    I have perfectly good hands and no medical conditions.

Has anyone ever tried scrolling with a finger while holding the PlayBook in the same hand?

A mod should close this thread
    WHY close the thread? This is comic genius - I'm still laughing whenever I think about that video. I'm afraid to watch it again I might die laughing!

The best part is he started by saying "the ipad handles this wonderfully" then ends it with "has anyone tried scrolling with a finger while holding the playbook in one hand? Can you imagine holding an ipad in one hand and trying this??

Second best is all the people that got suckered lol

Best thread ever! 5 stars. lmao
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-07-12 at 04:21 AM.
    ludwigap and Kojjax like this.
    01-07-12 04:16 AM
    To be honest I don't see the fuss on his question I suspect what you see in the video was overdone to show what his issue is. I think what was meant is slow scroll allow the scroll happen in both horizontal and vertical (scroll follows finger exactly). Fast scroll the system detects it is a fast scroll and ignores the inputs in the horizontal, simply scrolls straight vertical even if you are off in your scroll a bit.

I don't really have an issue as I rarely zoom in myself, but I get what he means. I have a question, does the hardware/software for playbook support swipes the don't cross from bezel to screen. For example in the future can they have swipe actions that exist entirely in the bezel, without crossing to the touch screen? I would love to be able to simply scroll up and down with the bezel.
    orenzai likes this.
    01-07-12 04:39 AM
    I would love to be able to simply scroll up and down with the bezel.
    Bezel scrlling is there already... you have to start the scrll on the screen and slide off onto a side bezel. It's only a very small way in from the screen onto bezel will do this. Too far and you'll lose it (maybe 5mm). It's fiddly and could be improved if the whole width of the bezel was active for this...
    01-07-12 05:11 AM
    Wow, just wow. I don't even know what to say after watching that video. I mean, just...wow... LOL...

You're just asking for it..
    All is said... LOL.
    01-07-12 05:33 AM
    ah.. now i know why it feels a bit diff scrolling through web pages on the ios compared to the pb. Although its a small and very subtle problem, it does make the browsing experience a bit more annoying as showed in the video.
    01-07-12 05:58 AM
    Watch the margin's on the left. Once iPad detects vertical scrolling, it locks the horizontal position UNTIL the scrolling stops. PlayBook doesn't do that!

You can't expect the fingers to have the precision of a ruler and do straight vertical swipes.
    One more thing worth mentioning is, on the iPad, the scrolling speed gets incrementally faster as you swipe, PlayBook doesn't do that either.. Hence the fast finger movement to compensate. And, there is no way to scroll to top.
    its called hand-eye coordination... get some
    01-07-12 08:55 AM
    honestly i think this is an issue with ur hardware or how you are using it. since the big playbook sales started i know 15 ppl tbat got PB's i asked them if they have not had this problem. the only time i have had a problem resembling this would be when my screen was supper gummed up with finger prints and stuff. quick wipe and good as new.
    01-07-12 09:12 AM
    Scrolling
    Trolling

hmmmm.....

Learn how to scroll.
    01-07-12 09:30 AM
    I guess I do finally see the OP's view. If you hold the unit and scroll with one finger, there can be a diagonal motion to the underlying webpage. It seems happens when zoomed. I guess a longer thumb might fix the problem as the way the thumb joins the palm limits its angular motions.

I'm not sure I consider it a flaw but it sounds as if different OS's handle it differently. It's kind of like bicycle riding, there is always a side wind component no matter which way I am heading!
    01-07-12 11:16 AM
    I have experienced this myself, it is abit annoying I think if you have used a android or ios before using the qnx they handle this differently and its a bit of a learning curve, especially annoying when zoomed in or viewing a webpage in portrait mode as it doesn't fit the entire page. I consider it a flaw in the playbook browser.

the amount of people calling the op a troll is ridiculous, app_developer hit the nail on the head and its a small thing which people won't notice or will annoy the out of others.
    Last edited by helsinki98; 01-07-12 at 11:33 AM.
    01-07-12 11:26 AM

A mod should close this thread.
    I don't think the thread needs to be closed but it should be moved to a medical forum. Essential Tremor is a serious condition, the OP has gotten to a point where his scrolling abilities are seriously hindered.
    mightygecko likes this.
    01-07-12 11:56 AM
    I don't think the thread needs to be closed but it should be moved to a medical forum. Essential Tremor is a serious condition, the OP has gotten to a point where his scrolling abilities are seriously hindered.
    You have mentioned the same point over half a dozen times. Its borderline trolling.
    I ask that you stop. Thanks. There is no point in arguing on the internet. It was a video clearly demonstrating the issue.

The thread is not intended to be a joke. I was pointing out an annoying issue in the browser. And I usually don't scroll with my thumb but by pointing finger, and it happens all the time.
    Last edited by TerrenceRowl; 01-07-12 at 12:41 PM.
    01-07-12 12:35 PM
    If you're serious I apologize for laughing - but it was a much better thread if it was a joke.. I say it's something that won't bother you if you get used to it - coming from another platform I can see your point - we all love what we are used to but this is really a minor issue IMO - sure beats the heII out of trackwheel scrolling!
    01-07-12 12:43 PM
    Just watched the vid. I thought that's how scrolling is supposed to work? Must be technique. I use both a PlayBook and my wife's iPad. If they are different then I suppose I am adapting to each. Both are fine for me.

While I will admit that if there is something accessibility wise that RIM could do to improve that so that it accomodates whatever some are doing, there are many many many things the PlayBook needs added first. IMO.
    Last edited by southlander; 01-07-12 at 01:01 PM.
    01-07-12 12:56 PM
    Wait a minute. I just realized. OP you are saying you are using tablets with just one hand?
    01-07-12 01:04 PM
    Can you please record a video of you scrolling on an iPad while holding it one handed as well? would love to compare the two.

as everyone else has stated, you're flicking your thumb diagonally, and the page is scrolling diagonally. JUST AS IT SHOULD. the iPad does the same thing if you flick diagonally. it only scroll-locks when you do a bit of a hold and scroll.
    01-07-12 01:18 PM
    You have mentioned the same point over half a dozen times. Its borderline trolling.
    I ask that you stop. Thanks. There is no point in arguing on the internet. It was a video clearly demonstrating the issue.

The thread is not intended to be a joke. I was pointing out an annoying issue in the browser. And I usually don't scroll with my thumb but by pointing finger, and it happens all the time.
    Well at this point it is obvious that this thread was nothing more than a "Ipad is better than Playbook" thread. I would love to see you scroll the same way on a Ipad with one hand. If you love the Ipad so much then get one and stop making these threads that have nothing to do with a real question.
    01-07-12 02:41 PM
    Ok lets put this to bed.

Playbook does have scroll lock

Slide your finger up and it locks vertically

Slide your finger sideways and it locks horizontal

Slide you finger diagonally and it allows a free scroll

To stop the lock you have to take your finger off.

Here is a video:
    01-07-12 02:41 PM
    Wait a minute. I just realized. OP you are saying you are using tablets with just one hand?
    No the Ipad functions with mind control, no hands needed. Its the Playbook that requires pesky hands. Guys this is a fake thread.
    rotorwrench and xiaohuaxing like this.
    01-07-12 02:44 PM
    Ok lets put this to bed.

Playbook does have scroll lock

Slide your finger up and it locks vertically

Slide your finger sideways and it locks horizontal

Slide you finger diagonally and it allows a free scroll

To stop the lock you have to take your finger off.

Here is a video:
    The scroll lock doesnt work between multiple swipes while the page is scrolling.. There would be no issue at all if the lock was active until the page comes to a stop.
    I will post a comparison video of what I mean. Should've done that first.
    Last edited by TerrenceRowl; 01-07-12 at 02:53 PM.
    01-07-12 02:48 PM
    Try using an iPad then you will see the difference.
    01-07-12 03:29 PM
    I'm a little shocked at the responses here. I totally agree that the scrolling needs improvement as posted in the video. Try the same thing on the iPad and see how much better it is.
    01-07-12 03:31 PM
    I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this, but I tried to replicate what the over exaggerated and spastic swipes of the video showed and as other posters have said, it can only be done in zoom, which as it should be. If it locked in scroll on zoom, it would be a pain for chart and map navigation, as well as text search. I tried it on my wife's iPad and can replicate the video exactly on zoom on the iPad. When I did get it to lock on the iPad, it became a pain for natural finger following navigation. You couldn't move diagonally without awkward repeated tap and drags to get the lock to break. Terrible for natural page navigation for me. Definitely wouldn't serve us at work. No thanks, I prefer the PB scroll on zoom.

I still can't believe I participated in this ridiculous thread. Shame on me
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-07-12 03:45 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD