hello, i wanted to know which OS are you guys currently running on your playbooks, i justgot mine and i wanted some advice, how well the leamed os runs if its better to stick with official or what do you guys recommend so..... fire away opinions please and thanks guys
    12-22-11 12:01 AM
    Hello,

I was one of the first-adopters and paid full price for the 64gb machine. It has been all over the world with me, since then. It normally gets great reviews and it certainly helps me when I don't feel like waiting for the laptop to boot up to do a presentation or watch a film.

It looks like you've been a BlackBerry user for a while so the thought of experimenting with 2.0x won't scare you. It's stable - it works - and it supports Android. All in all I find it a better experience than the out-of-the-box version (which is great, by itself, but I still prefer 2.0x).

There's nothing about the current beta release that makes me unhappy. Bridge Mode works extremely well and connectivity via a PC over Wireless works like a treat, as well.

There are many other threads showing how to get the beta (it's super easy) and after 20 minutes you're all set.

--TT
    Wangta likes this.
    12-22-11 12:16 AM
    thanks for the info... any apps/games that i must have or that u recommend would b appreciated, again, thanks for the info
    12-22-11 12:33 AM
    i got a playbook 3 months ago. have loved it since the day i got it upgraded to beta 2.0 this week and love it even more. really like having folders compared to the old screens. i also find bridge is smoother on it and connects to my 9900 easier. havent loaded any android apps yet. i would say go for 2.0.
    12-22-11 01:26 AM
    I'm using 6149 too, I like it a lot even though the native video chat doesn't work on it yet.

I already have 12 Android apps loaded on it, I'll probably install some more tomorrow.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 12-22-11 at 01:48 AM.
    12-22-11 01:46 AM
    Don't do OS 2 until you've done OS 1.8xxxxxx its a buggy developers beta and you wont have anything to compare it with. If stuff doesn't work you will be blaming the playbook and we will have to beat you up.
    But then I haven't tried it so I don't know what I'm talking about....lol Just heard enough to make me worried.
    12-22-11 01:49 AM
    thanks all... gonna give it a try to the OS it comes with to try, maybe in a week or so, and to get the upgrade to OS 2 i need to do ot via PC right? cuz if thats so i need to wait a little longer, i jusr came to the US to live and i havnt got a computer yet, so its gonna have to wait
    12-22-11 01:51 AM
    Actually make that 13 Android apps, I forgot to factor in Android's native Email application that I'm using on my Playbook.

12-22-11 02:17 AM
    Can someone let me know how to gain access to Android apps. I have just updated to OS 2.0 but not sure where the Android Player is hidden !
    12-22-11 03:38 AM
    Can someone let me know how to gain access to Android apps. I have just updated to OS 2.0 but not sure where the Android Player is hidden !
    The Android player is not hidden anywhere, it is "built in" to the QNX OS 2.0, so you do not need to install the Android app player, it is there already!

All you have to do is install (side-load) a compatible Android app that has been converted into a .bar file and it will show up in the icons with the rest of the Playbook native apps. Once you click on them, they will open and you can use them.

To get started read here: http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player

For already converted Android apps look here: http://playbookbars.com/
    Last edited by Megacharge; 12-22-11 at 03:44 AM.
    flash24, Wangta and ShushUAE like this.
    12-22-11 03:40 AM
    Actually make that 13 Android apps, I forgot to factor in Android's native Email application that I'm using on my Playbook.

Click to view quoted image
    How'd you get the android mail on the PB? I know you converted it but where'd you download it from?
    12-22-11 06:46 AM
    How'd you get the android mail on the PB? I know you converted it but where'd you download it from?
    Here's the .bar file.

You can find more here: PlayBook BARs
    Last edited by Megacharge; 12-22-11 at 06:54 AM.
    12-22-11 06:51 AM
    Hello,

I was one of the first-adopters and paid full price for the 64gb machine. It has been all over the world with me, since then. It normally gets great reviews and it certainly helps me when I don't feel like waiting for the laptop to boot up to do a presentation or watch a film.

It looks like you've been a BlackBerry user for a while so the thought of experimenting with 2.0x won't scare you. It's stable - it works - and it supports Android. All in all I find it a better experience than the out-of-the-box version (which is great, by itself, but I still prefer 2.0x).

There's nothing about the current beta release that makes me unhappy. Bridge Mode works extremely well and connectivity via a PC over Wireless works like a treat, as well.

There are many other threads showing how to get the beta (it's super easy) and after 20 minutes you're all set.

--TT
    Can you bridge browse and surf the web just using your smart phone because I had heard you can't? lol
    12-22-11 07:00 AM
    The Android player is not hidden anywhere, it is "built in" to the QNX OS 2.0, so you do not need to install the Android app player, it is there already!

All you have to do is install (side-load) a compatible Android app that has been converted into a .bar file and it will show up in the icons with the rest of the Playbook native apps. Once you click on them, they will open and you can use them.

To get started read here: How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com

For already converted Android apps look here: PlayBook BARs
    Thanks very much Megacharge. So I was actually refering to an icon but your help is appreciated.
    12-22-11 08:37 AM
    Can you bridge browse and surf the web just using your smart phone because I had heard you can't? lol
    Not exactly sure why RIM included the bridge browser?
    While bridged you can just use the normal browser as well as any native app that requires a data connection, with a few exception's that actually require a wifi connection(app world).
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 08:46 AM
    guys another thing i forgot to ask is about the rooted playbook, is it worth a shot? is it like to jailbreak an ipad? will i get the app worlds paid apps for free?thanks all
    12-22-11 10:59 AM
    Not exactly sure why RIM included the bridge browser?
    While bridged you can just use the normal browser as well as any native app that requires a data connection, with a few exception's that actually require a wifi connection(app world).
    Because, originally, that wasn't the case. The only way you could browse away from wifi was via the bridge browser. Now - like the appendix in humans - it appears to be redundant!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 11:05 AM
    Because, originally, that wasn't the case. The only way you could browse away from wifi was via the bridge browser. Now - like the appendix in humans - it appears to be redundant!
    Hard to understand looking at it from the BIS side of things.

Bridge Browser allows you to access whatever your BlackBerry connection can. So, not a biggie for BIS users, but a MUST for BES users that otherwise would not be able to access their company's intranets.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 11:11 AM
    Hard to understand looking at it from the BIS side of things.

Bridge Browser allows you to access whatever your BlackBerry connection can. So, not a biggie for BIS users, but a MUST for BES users that otherwise would not be able to access their company's intranets.
    True dat...
    12-22-11 11:13 AM
    True dat...
    True indeed.
    12-27-11 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD