Agreed, the Xoom looks more svelte.

Did you notice around the 4:16 mark that there is a significant delay when shooting photos--about 3 seconds between hitting the shutter release and the picture being taken. yikes.
    If you look he's holding the button. It snapped once he released his thumb. Maybe it was doing some type of focus like digital cams do when u hold the shutter button
    02-23-11 05:01 PM
    well i am most glad i'm not under herr's control! i buy what fits me best. If it's the ipad, ill get that. if it's the xoom ill get that. if its the playbook (which here it is) i'll get that.
    At this point I have clue what tablet I want to get..too many options
    02-23-11 05:02 PM
    I'd love to see options for 7, 8, and 10". My frame of reference is from using Lowrance Sonar fishfinders. In the high end units, those are the available sizes. 10" just seems too big to me. There is a pretty big difference however, between 7 and 8" screens. Portability is #1 priority for me, and I want the largest size that is still easy to carry.
    Kindle 3 has almost the same dimensions. Not sure about the screen though.
    02-23-11 05:10 PM
    If you look he's holding the button. It snapped once he released his thumb. Maybe it was doing some type of focus like digital cams do when u hold the shutter button
    possibly, but camera's shutter release buttons have a two-stage function--light press for focus, harder to take the pic. touch screens don't do that.
    02-23-11 05:18 PM
    Truth be told, I didn't care for that comparison. A) He never mentioned the likelihood (and now reality) of an iPad2. Which we know will be much closer in specs and hardware. B) He left out a lot of the Xoom's features. SD card for example. Strength, it has one; weakness, it won't be supported at launch. Didn't mention Flash, which we know does not exist on iPad and most likely will not be on iPad2, is not available at launch with Xoom, but will be added later. I'm sure he was just trying to get something out for the people, but I'm a believer that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I AM glad he didn't mention PlayBook as I continue to see 10 vs 7 different niches.

Still, the TAT media program with the PB seemed much more adept at rendering the concave (AND convex) vid thumbnails. In all, I'm still planning on the PB for several reasons, including but not limited to the fact that I own a BB.

I wish I was selling the Xooms at BesyBuy or VZW. I'd make sure to let the consumer know exactly what was going on with it as far as What is working at launch and what will be coming. I think Moto may see some come back after the flaws are seen.
    02-23-11 05:29 PM
    No clue. it just looked like he held the button and once he released it it took the picture.

It's released tomorrow so I guess we'll see more reviews.
    The 3G/4G is out of the question for me. The wifi version of the Xoom is still on the table.
    02-23-11 05:31 PM
    No clue. it just looked like he held the button and once he released it it took the picture.

It's released tomorrow so I guess we'll see more reviews.
    The 3G/4G is out of the question for me. The wifi version of the Xoom is still on the table.
    I live about 6 blocks from Verizon, so I'm heading over there tomorrow to check it out. I'll check the camera functions.
    02-23-11 06:12 PM
    Truth be told, I didn't care for that comparison. A) He never mentioned the likelihood (and now reality) of an iPad2. Which we know will be much closer in specs and hardware. B) He left out a lot of the Xoom's features. SD card for example. Strength, it has one; weakness, it won't be supported at launch. Didn't mention Flash, which we know does not exist on iPad and most likely will not be on iPad2, is not available at launch with Xoom, but will be added later. I'm sure he was just trying to get something out for the people, but I'm a believer that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I AM glad he didn't mention PlayBook as I continue to see 10 vs 7 different niches.

Still, the TAT media program with the PB seemed much more adept at rendering the concave (AND convex) vid thumbnails. In all, I'm still planning on the PB for several reasons, including but not limited to the fact that I own a BB.

I wish I was selling the Xooms at BesyBuy or VZW. I'd make sure to let the consumer know exactly what was going on with it as far as What is working at launch and what will be coming. I think Moto may see some come back after the flaws are seen.
    Be sure to show that same enthusiasm when you tell them how you need a BB for PIM stuff. I think most people spending $800 on the Xoom are going to have some type of ideal about it. That's an expensive device to just go and buy all willy nilly.

Flash for it is on the way. Probably will be on it before the PB is released. The SD slot will get turned either Moto will get it done or the guys at XDA will figure it out. There's no way to put a SD in the PB.
    The 3G/4G isn't an issue at all. It's been stated that 4G would be added later this year. Sure beats buying it now and it being stuck with 3G and later this year they put 4G in the tablets
    02-23-11 06:20 PM
    I live about 6 blocks from Verizon, so I'm heading over there tomorrow to check it out. I'll check the camera functions.
    Let me know how it does. I'm going go check it out at Best Buy this weekend more than likely
    02-23-11 06:21 PM
    Be sure to show that same enthusiasm when you tell them how you need a BB for PIM stuff. I think most people spending $800 on the Xoom are going to have some type of ideal about it. That's an expensive device to just go and buy all willy nilly.

Flash for it is on the way. Probably will be on it before the PB is released. The SD slot will get turned either Moto will get it done or the guys at XDA will figure it out. There's no way to put a SD in the PB.
    The 3G/4G isn't an issue at all. It's been stated that 4G would be added later this year. Sure beats buying it now and it being stuck with 3G and later this year they put 4G in the tablets
    Good points, all. But remember, I said I was glad he didn't compare PB and Xoom. I think they are different niches. And as for Xoom shortcomings and selling them, I just prefer a consumer have the info they need and joe average won't I imagine. I know that's an assumption, but one I believe. And I know- they could research it if they wanted to, but let's face it- how many times do people here get told to search...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 07:41 PM
    It would be hard to compare the Xoom to PlayBook as you can't get a hold to a physical model yet, messing with you...

Yeah I agree as a salesman you should tell the customer about their potential purchase. This brings up something I said weeks ago. RIM needs to clear things up because I said someone is going to go into BestBuy, guy is going to tell the customer you need a blackberry for it to work/be fully functional and push the customer to another device, more than likely an ipad

If someone is going to drop $900 on a tablet when they know an iPad is $500 I would hope they would know the difference before walking in to buy it but you know how that goes
    02-23-11 07:52 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD