Anyone know if RIM plans on increasing the size of the screen on the playbook from 7" to anything bigger?
    02-21-11 05:36 PM
    hope not...
    02-21-11 05:38 PM
    As it currently stands, no. They want portability and they're locked onto 7" for that. I'm happy with that tbh... Although may try and sneak a 10" if they ever do bring one out.
    02-21-11 06:11 PM
    7" + hdmi out = win

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-11 06:31 PM
    Maybe playbook 2, or 3 will have a larger form factor available. Maybe. I wouldn't mind them offering a 10" version a couple years down the line. We'll have to wait and see.
    02-21-11 07:54 PM
    I do recall the question being asked in one of the earlier videos and the response was something like we are always open to new ideas and there is a good possibility.

02-21-11 09:22 PM
    Given we have seen a 9" tablet at mwc (LG maybe), perhaps Rim will even take the approach of doing one of those and leaving room for something like an a4/legal-sized model later which would be ideal for some people.
    02-22-11 05:13 AM
    Mike L was quoted saying something of the sorts was in the works, I'll be getting 7" regardless

02-22-11 08:13 AM
    Never say never. Always leave options on the table.
    02-22-11 08:19 AM
    I hope not. 10" is simply too large to be portable. 7" is "just right", despite Steve Jobs dumb comment to the contrary.
    02-22-11 08:58 AM
    I had heard rumors of a 10" playbook, though I don't remember where I heard them and I really don't put any stock into them. Personally, I would get both a 7" and a 10+" playbook. I will buy the 7" when it comes out to use for things that are not graphic intensive. If a larger device is released in the future, I would buy that one too so I can use it for graphic intensive applications. I would hope it has an SD card slot so I can take the card right out of my DSLR and put it in the playbook to review my images immediately on a large screen. I can see great use for a larger tablet, but I think it would need a card slot to maximize that potential.
    02-22-11 09:26 AM
    7" is gunna seem huge compared to my torch plus the reduced weight. Have any of you picked up a ipad its heavy and awkwardn I think rim is trying to avoid that.

02-22-11 10:10 AM
    7" is gunna seem huge compared to my torch plus the reduced weight. Have any of you picked up a ipad its heavy and awkwardn I think rim is trying to avoid that.

I went to the local Apple store shortly after the iPad came out. I was shocked at how heavy it was, considering I expected to be able to hold it. In actuality, one has to rest it on a surface for any use but the most briefest.
    02-22-11 10:27 AM
    Actually, now that I think about it, the more I think 10" is a redundant device for the PB. HDMI-out to a 65" HD plasma TV, now come on, that's gonna be easier to watch than a 10" device.
    02-22-11 10:46 AM
    Actually, now that I think about it, the more I think 10" is a redundant device for the PB. HDMI-out to a 65" HD plasma TV, now come on, that's gonna be easier to watch than a 10" device.
    Yea because we've all got a 65" HDTV.

Not everyone has a large scale TV and even if they do not all will have an HDMI connection.

So no, a 10" isn't a redundant device.
    02-22-11 11:10 AM
    I went to the local Apple store shortly after the iPad came out. I was shocked at how heavy it was, considering I expected to be able to hold it. In actuality, one has to rest it on a surface for any use but the most briefest.
    I actually just went to the local Best Buy to refresh my mind on how big 7" was with the Galaxy Tab, and i must say i am very happy with that size still. Then i went over to the iPad they had on display and had an unwelcoming remembrance of the weight of it. My brother thought it was beyond awesome as usual and wanted to show me a YouTube video, so i took him to youtube.com so he could show me except you know how that turned out......
    02-22-11 12:49 PM
    I do not know if yall have heard. But jobs/apple are coming out with a 7" ipad in the near future. So much for 7" being too small. I am not a fan of the apple toys, although they are aesthetically pleasing, they are not efficient and I believe the playbook will be a wonderful device. If they come out with a larger playbook in the future I think that would be a great idea for other consumers besides myself. Let's hope the pb is all we think it will be and more.

02-22-11 01:28 PM
    Don't think this is a great idea TBH, suits the target market to have a 7 inch.
    02-22-11 01:32 PM
    I actually just went to the local Best Buy to refresh my mind on how big 7" was with the Galaxy Tab, and i must say i am very happy with that size still. Then i went over to the iPad they had on display and had an unwelcoming remembrance of the weight of it. My brother thought it was beyond awesome as usual and wanted to show me a YouTube video, so i took him to youtube.com so he could show me except you know how that turned out......
    Youtube isn't that good of an example when you can use the app to use youtube or use m.youtube.com in safari
    02-22-11 02:25 PM
    Youtube isn't that good of an example when you can use the app to use youtube or use m.youtube.com in safari
    That's the point, you have to download an extra to do such a simple task (and youtube mobile is the lowest quality ever). I also showed him app-switching haha, and what real multitasking is. But all in all, he was most impressed with Fruit Ninja. Which is sad that that's all the iPad could offer of interest, games. I told him to stick with his "mini-tablet" (iPod Touch)
    02-22-11 02:34 PM
    I thought youtube app came preloaded. I normally don't use youtube on my phone but when I do I press the HQ button and the videos look fine to me.

No complaints about Apple's form of multitasking and app switching. It needs work. I won't go as far as to say all the iPad has to offer are games. If you're into music creation it has some pretty good apps and MIDI capabilities.

Someone a while back posted asking if anyone was interested in that ability on the PB I posted I would like to see it.

I used to be one of the it's a big Touch crowd but I sat back and looked at what it does and to be honest it's not that bad of a device. I wouldn't consider a gen1 just because Apple leaves off things on gen1. Gen2 will be a slight upgrade. Gen3 if going by Apples history is probably going to be a pretty nice device.

I'm just ready for all these main tablets to get out there so I can get some hands on and hear from some end users.
    02-22-11 02:48 PM
    The ipad looks awkward how big it is. The playbook actually looks like a tablet, the ipad looks like a desktop moniter in your lap. 7" is the way to go for portability.

02-22-11 02:58 PM
    Ok you're starting to exaggerate here. The iPad screen isn't that huge. Granted it's bigger than the Tab or PlayBook. But it's not that much bigger than my netbook screen and I don't think that's huge by any means.

If RIM sees a market for a larger screen I'm sure they will implement it. There is no size fit's all to be honest.
    02-22-11 03:03 PM
    I think it's interesting to hear the complaints about 10" being too big. When the ipad was first released one of my friends saw one in the store and told me, "It's too small, I want a bigger screen." I agree that 7" is ideal for portability in every day situations, but I still contend that 10+" will be nice for many field applications where the user already has a bag full of gear.
    02-22-11 03:15 PM
    The ipad looks awkward how big it is. The playbook actually looks like a tablet, the ipad looks like a desktop moniter in your lap. 7" is the way to go for portability.

i wouldn't go that far, it's just 10" is too big for real portability
    02-22-11 05:05 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD