Amazon makes their money on us consuming their content. The hardware they're selling at a loss (this is not debatable) so it begs the question as to why they wouldn't have a Kindle player for the PB. The answer might be found between the 2 extremes that I've seen presented here. They might just have been:

1. too darn busy developing the Kindle Fire and;
    2. also unsure how a Kindle player for the PB might fit into those plans.

It's just business and it's hardly them being evil and gunning for RIM as some seem to imply.

Since (and it's only my opinion, based on feelings and high-level observations) it's in Amazon's best interests to publish a Kindle Player for the PlayBook, I would expect one soon. There's already one for the BlackBerry smartphones after all.

In the meantime, I'm perfectly OK with using the Kindle Cloud Reader in my web browser and pinning/downloading my books for offline reading.
    You think the hardware costs that much? Why? Because RIM sold it at such a huge premium?
    10-22-11 01:10 PM
    Someone here or on another site mentioned a valid point on the lines of:

Kobo has supported Blackberry from day one, on the phones & tablet, so f**k Amazon, I'm spending my custom over there.

The above is totally out of quote but I too echo the point made, Amazon just screwed you, they said they'll give you a Kindle app, an instead gave you a watered down version of the Playbook (Kindle Fire) to run the book store.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-22-11 01:13 PM
    The Android Kindle app works pretty well; I've been using it instead of the Cloud Reader, since it supports highlighting and annotation. The only glitch that I'm aware of is font resizing. On the Android app, the font resizing sample letters are invisible, so you have to tap where they should appear. And the largest available font isn't as large as I'd like--certainly not as large as what you can get on the Cloud Reader or a regular Kindle device.
    10-22-11 01:25 PM
    Huh? You have a nook which has e-ink but would rather read on the playbook? I'd much rather read on my kindle with e-ink technology because its easier to read and looks great. And the Kindle has a battery that lasts for 1-2 months...

Why would anyone call e-ink old tech anyway?
    10-22-11 02:51 PM
    I agree with you, it is not old-tech. It is personal preference.

Here's what I am after. As many bookstores on one device as possible. With annotations, dictionary, highlight .. google/wikipedia look up .. similar features in the readers.

Since I read a lot, the ability to shop and get the best deal very important.

Agree on battery life. But you have to sacrifice something to get other features. I watch movies, MLB, NFL .. read, do mail and work stuff. and want to do all this on one device.

I like the PB architecture, I think the device has tremendous upside .. that is why I am still here pitching in.

But the animosity of the factions is getting increasingly hard to take. I can do without all the petty fighting on here. That is stupid.
    Just learn to not care.
    10-22-11 09:04 PM
    I'm guessing the manufacturer of the Playbook ramped up for Playbook production. Since Playbook sales have been a failure, I don't blame the manufacturer in selling their inventory to Amazon.

Blackberry Bold 9650 user.
    10-23-11 12:16 AM
    A report said that Quanta, the builders of the Playbook for RIM, laid off a bunch of employees because the orders from RIM went down. Another report said that Quanta is behind Amazon's Fire. If Quanta is building Amazon Fires for Amazon, then why the ramp down in workers? Amazon must be building a ton of them! Did Quanta just design the Fire and then someone else is building the Fires?

I actually thought having Quanta building Playbooks and Fires was a good thing. Similar designs mean that volume from Amazon may save RIM money in parts, especially if Quanta is doing the parts purchasing for both.
    10-23-11 04:26 AM
    Even though it seems the thread has turned into something else (thought this was about kindle and not Amazon's Fire etc etc), I'm able to run Kindle after apk2bar, signing the bar myself, and then side loading (I use playbook tools to see the results a little bit better than DDPB). Got the .apk from good friends at xda:

Amazon Kindle Latest Apk - xda-developers

In the end it runs very cleanly and surprisingly fast. I tried downloading directly from the Android Market and app always hung from there. Side loading the converted apk works like a charm.
    01-22-12 10:58 PM
    What a joke...I have no intention in using any kindle products be it hardware or app. It's utter disregard for the BlackBerry Community and their high-nosed antics that puts them on my "Don't patronize" list of companies. For goodness sake! They still have the Storm and the Bold 9000 as "supported" devices. What a slap in the face. BlackBerry launched OS 7.0 almost six months ago... Now I'm sad...
    01-23-12 12:09 AM
    So I don't expect a native kindle app anytime soon, but I'll be delighted if Amazon announced the app tomorrow!
    Thing is, they already have, OVER A YEAR AGO

Amazon Announces A Kindle BlackBerry PlayBook App | TechCrunch

What's more troubling is the fact that they were able to make an extra effort to get an app for the now defunct TouchPad...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...pp-review/3341
    Last edited by mikelcal; 01-23-12 at 12:26 AM.
    01-23-12 12:21 AM
    BOSS.

atleast they replied to you. usually u would jever get back compsnt gfeedbacl dfron their suppotrt tesm
    01-23-12 03:26 AM
    Thing is, they already have, OVER A YEAR AGO

Amazon Announces A Kindle BlackBerry PlayBook App | TechCrunch

What's more troubling is the fact that they were able to make an extra effort to get an app for the now defunct TouchPad...

HP TouchPad: Kindle app review | ZDNet
    That link is dated September 2010.

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there" - L.P. Hartley

In September 2010, the Playbook was just an expectant gleam in RIM's eye and Amazon hadn't even thought about the Kindle Fire.

Fast forward to now, with the Playbook having received an apathetic reception and limited take-up - how many of the 70 Million BB owners bought the obvious partner tablet for their phone? - the imperative for Amazon to follow through on that historical promise is doubtful.

As I said in my previous posts in this thread, it still might happen, but I doubt it's high on Amazon's list. If OS2 is a success, and increases the popularity of PB, they might re-think. If not, there's the Android Player!
    01-23-12 07:21 AM
    What a joke...I have no intention in using any kindle products be it hardware or app. It's utter disregard for the BlackBerry Community and their high-nosed antics that puts them on my "Don't patronize" list of companies. For goodness sake! They still have the Storm and the Bold 9000 as "supported" devices. What a slap in the face. BlackBerry launched OS 7.0 almost six months ago... Now I'm sad...
    You have no intention of using Kindle products in protest? Kindle is probably the best ebook reader application available on Playbook right now. The Android version works quite well and you can even side load your own ebooks.
    01-23-12 08:00 AM
    As i mentioned in previous posts on this topic, i have two emails from amazon exactly like that, surely they must have a template for such emails. If you check out other amazon emails in the community, they're all pretty much the same. "We're working on it" just a way of keeping you happy, they would never say, never!!
    01-25-12 02:07 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD