Yeah, you're probably right.
    10-21-11 03:31 PM
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    I hated typing that because I didn't really agree with everyone that they should of released BBX phones before the Playbook, but 70 million devices, even if only a 1/3 upgrade their phones, Amazon wouldn't be able to ignore that many users.
    lcfut likes this.
    10-21-11 03:34 PM
    Here is what is cool about this. The company that is know for content (amazon) created a device that looks quite a bit like the Playbook. They are masters at content delivery.

The conclusion is: The Playbook is the optimal size and shape for consuming mobile media.

I got a Playbook and Kobo is getting my business now. When Amazon gets off their **** I'll reconsider but Kobo is working just fine for me. Besides, previous content can still be read on the Amazon cloud reader. They just won't make any more money from me.
    10-21-11 03:51 PM
    With a post like that, I wouldn't have given you the time of day.

RIM lied about some things as well. Why are you still turning on your PB? I mean, a lie is a lie right?
    10-21-11 03:56 PM
    Kindle for PlayBook is already out!

Goto to apps forum, search for the Kindle.bar file.
    Download it.
    Use the BBPB to side load it.

Works a treat!
    Plenty of how to threads to help also!

Why develop when the Android app works? That's maybe what they are thinking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 04:15 PM
    The Android Kindle App works brilliantly... we might not be too certain when RIM will release 2.0 but I think we can almost certainly say it will be before Amazon release a native Playbook app....
    10-21-11 04:23 PM
    Did not know about that offer. Thanks!

Now I know what to do with my iPad 1.

Just for grins, I selected both a 32 GB Playbook and a 32 GB iPad 1 for trading and noted that the Playbook was over a $100 higher in value for Like New condition!
    That's because they can re-use the parts to make more kindle fires
    10-21-11 09:34 PM
    The conclusion is: The Playbook is the optimal size and shape for consuming mobile media.
    The conclusion could also be "we need to keep our component cost down, and the smaller the screen size, the lower those costs."
    10-21-11 09:49 PM
    The conclusion could also be "we need to keep our component cost down, and the smaller the screen size, the lower those costs."
    Paraphrased to: you have to be crazy to price a 7" tablet at $500.
    10-21-11 09:56 PM
    Paraphrased to: you have to be crazy to price a 7" tablet at $500.
    Yet the screen on your phone is what.. 3.5"? and they sell for.. 599? lol
    10-21-11 10:00 PM
    4.3... but the market bears that price. I can also do a bit more on it than on my tab.

The PB was over-priced at launch, IMHO. had they launched even just $100 less, they would have moved more pieces.
    10-21-11 10:07 PM
    The demand for cellphones is higher than tablets.

Then take into the fact if you get subsidized pricing on a contract. I don't believe any WiFi only tab is subsidized from carriers (no cell radio, no data plan required. I think the iPad may have been cheaper on VZW at one point if you signed up with a MiFi). 3G/4G tablets, yup.
    10-21-11 10:10 PM
    I got a Playbook and Kobo is getting my business now. When Amazon gets off their **** I'll reconsider but Kobo is working just fine for me. Besides, previous content can still be read on the Amazon cloud reader. They just won't make any more money from me.
    This was my statement to Amazon as well. I am sorry for the people that _need_ a Kindle app for one reason or another, but in my view Kobo deserves my business, and they get it too.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-22-11 12:05 AM
    I like Amazon.

I like the response they gave.
    10-22-11 12:24 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    With a post like that, I wouldn't have given you the time of day.

RIM lied about some things as well. Why are you still turning on your PB? I mean, a lie is a lie right?
    TROLL!! .... Go Troll somewhere else!
    10-22-11 12:54 AM
    What a crutch this has become. It's like the CrackBerry version of "uh" or "ummm."
    10-22-11 01:00 AM
    Maybe they ARE working on it. Ever thought of that?
    10-22-11 01:04 AM
    How was that trolling? If I am such a troll how come you have thanked multiple posts of mine?

I'm sorry, when you want to try and get a legit answer from a company, you don't come off as a tool saying you stole a product. Why even bring that up? Amazon does not care what you think about the Fire when you are trying to ask them to make you an app on the PlayBook. Bash a company and then ask for some love?

Keep using that crutch for everyone that has a differing opinion than a RIM fan(boy). You're going to call me a troll when I support RIM and hope they have a bright future? I mean, I have said numerous times that the PlayBook is a great device, and it will only get better. I have said the 9900 is also an awesome BB as well. Let's not even mention that I believe the 9000 was the best BB ever (and my second favorite smartphone of all time). I guess things like that don't count when someone posts a comment you don't agree with.

If the OP came off like that in a email to RIM, people would be busting heads. And what did I say that was false? Does end of summer ring a bell?
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-22-11 01:12 AM
    Maybe they ARE working on it. Ever thought of that?
    Yeah, maybe they are working on it! How many tablet OSes are out there anyway? Playbook OS, webOS, iOS, Android, Windows 8, ...?

Amazon doesn't make its money from hardware. They make it from selling you media and the more platforms they can get their Kindle software on, the more revenue they can make. If anything, they probably pride themselves on being available everywhere.
    10-22-11 03:01 AM
    There is every possibility the app is ready to go ATM. If I remember correctly, Tunein said they had an app all done and ready and waiting for RIMs approval, but RIM wanted its release to coincide with OS2s release.
    Its possible a shedloads of long awaited apps will be released with OS 2, including Skype hopefully, given its in all the tech demos.
    10-22-11 03:25 AM
    Amazon didn't doesn't make its money from hardware. They make it from selling you media and the more platforms they can get their Kindle software on, the more revenue they can make. If anything, they probably pride themselves on being available everywhere.
    I presumptuously fixed your quote. Sorry.

I'd agree with you that Amazon are currently like a razor-blade seller who want you to buy one of their blades to use in whatever razor you happen to own.

That isn't going to change but, unfortunately, some smart Amazon exec has decided that there's also money to be made from now entering the razor market and increasing their take from both ends.

Add to that the fact that Amazon are only likely to divert reader-development resources to supporting successful platforms, and the probability of an imminent (native) Playbook kindle reader reduces sharply. However much I may like my Playbook, I'm rooted in enough reality to also realise that it isn't a big-seller.

Further add the Android support the Playbook will apparently be gaining in the OS2 happy thereafter, and Amazon's imperative to produce a native kindle app for the playbook virtually disappears.

Just my opinion, Fanbois feel free to flame.
    10-22-11 03:45 AM
    I presumptuously fixed your quote. Sorry.

I'd agree with you that Amazon are currently like a razor-blade seller who want you to buy one of their blades to use in whatever razor you happen to own.

That isn't going to change but, unfortunately, some smart Amazon exec has decided that there's also money to be made from now entering the razor market and increasing their take from both ends.

Add to that the fact that Amazon are only likely to divert reader-development resources to supporting successful platforms, and the probability of an imminent (native) Playbook kindle reader reduces sharply. However much I may like my Playbook, I'm rooted in enough reality to also realise that it isn't a big-seller.

Further add the Android support the Playbook will apparently be gaining in the OS2 happy thereafter, and Amazon's imperative to produce a native kindle app for the playbook virtually disappears.

Just my opinion, Fanbois feel free to flame.
    Based on Amazon device teardowns by iSuppli, for example, Amazon is taking a loss on their hardware to sell their "razor blades". I still don't think they intend to make money off the hardware... break-even at best.

If the Amazon Kindle app for Android works via RIM's Android Player, then I can see them not develop a native version for Playbook. The only reason for a native version is if in-app purchases, such as books, don't work and then they'll have an incentive to implement a native version.

I agree that if they have limited resources, then they will opt to put their efforts where they can make money; however, there aren't that many OSes to support and they do seem to pride themselves on being everywhere.

For non-book media (music and videos), I can see them making an effort to make a native Playbook version.
    10-22-11 04:59 AM
    I reckon we agree more than we disagree.

I'd love to see Amazon develop a native Playbook multimedia app for books, music and videos... the PB hardware is certainly capable enough, I just feel it's not very high on Amazon's To-Do list. Obviously the more PB's there are out there in the wild, the higher that might appear on their list!

Even a native Kindle app might be a stretch as I reckon they'd likely spend more developing it than they'd get back, even at a "razor blade" a time over the long term.

I'd love to be proved wrong though!
    10-22-11 07:48 AM
    Amazon makes their money on us consuming their content. The hardware they're selling at a loss (this is not debatable) so it begs the question as to why they wouldn't have a Kindle player for the PB. The answer might be found between the 2 extremes that I've seen presented here. They might just have been:

1. too darn busy developing the Kindle Fire and;
    2. also unsure how a Kindle player for the PB might fit into those plans.

It's just business and it's hardly them being evil and gunning for RIM as some seem to imply.

Since (and it's only my opinion, based on feelings and high-level observations) it's in Amazon's best interests to publish a Kindle Player for the PlayBook, I would expect one soon. There's already one for the BlackBerry smartphones after all.

In the meantime, I'm perfectly OK with using the Kindle Cloud Reader in my web browser and pinning/downloading my books for offline reading.
    10-22-11 08:36 AM
    Amazon makes their money on us consuming their content.

it's in Amazon's best interests to publish a Kindle Player for the PlayBook, I would expect one soon. There's already one for the BlackBerry smartphones after all.
    There are something like 70,000,000 BB smartphone subscribers if I can quote the figure I've seen a few times here. Nobody seems to know how many Playbooks are in the wild, but say, 250,000? What percentage would want PB Kindle, I don't know... 50%?

So I can see why Amazon would have a BB smartphone kindle app (I have it myself, but it's no pleasure to use as the screen is too small), but I can also see why a Playbook app wouldn't be high on their development list given the tiny potential market. Not enough razor-blades would be sold long term to cover the short-term dev costs.

So I don't expect a native kindle app anytime soon, but I'll be delighted if Amazon announced the app tomorrow!
    KermEd likes this.
    10-22-11 10:32 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD