Seeing that the Kindle is available in Canada but the Kindle for BB is only available in the US, is it safe to assume that the Kindle for PB will only be available in the US as well?

I'm guessing if I cross the border and wifi into amazon they'd have no way to know I'm Canadian, unlike a phone which is linked to a carrier.

I may be way off but just wondering what everyone else thinks.
    05-27-11 12:03 PM
    It seems likely the same restriction will apply, but until it comes out noone can say for sure.

I promise to post as soon as it comes available so in the US so you can compare, though!
    domenic_lo_russo likes this.
    05-27-11 12:05 PM
    I don't know where people are getting this idea that Kindle for BB isn't available for Canada (this is the second thread I've seen), but I certainly have the Kindle app on my BB Torch.
    05-27-11 12:59 PM
    From the Amazon site...

Get Free Download
    Sign in to send a download link to your BlackBerry:

Non-U.S. customers: Kindle for BlackBerry is not currently available.
    05-27-11 01:06 PM
    Just go ahead and download it and then install.
    05-27-11 01:12 PM
    Just go ahead and download it and then install.
    So what's this nonsense about not being available...idiots!!
    05-27-11 01:18 PM
    So what's this nonsense about not being available...idiots!!
    You can download the Kindle app to your BB and I'm sure to your PB as well if you're in Canada. I have the Kindle app on my phone, however when you go and try to buy a book on line it asks you for a US billing address.

Borders/Kobo does the same thing. I can't buy an e book via borders/kobo usa.

Now I'm not sure if you are in the US with a US IP address if that will change. I haven't gone into the US long enough in the last few weeks to try and do a book purchase.

Apparently with e-books there is something about licensing rights in different countries etc.

Now I think it's different if you actually buy the Kindle reader because the ownership of that is probably tied to the Kindle reader's id and books can be purchased through their reader that way regardless of your citizenship.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-27-11 01:43 PM
    My Amazon account is listed with a Canadian address. This does mean that I sometimes have some restrictions or different sets of books available to me than would a U.S. account. But I just purchased a book on Amazon, and chose to have it delivered to my BB Kindle (installed on my Torch), and it worked flawlessly.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-27-11 01:52 PM
    My Amazon account is listed with a Canadian address. This does mean that I sometimes have some restrictions or different sets of books available to me than would a U.S. account. But I just purchased a book on Amazon, and chose to have it delivered to my BB Kindle (installed on my Torch), and it worked flawlessly.
    +1

Just skip that warnning on Amazons site. When I had my BB it worked fine too.

BUT afaik kindle can not be loaded to the PB in any country because:
    1. App world is the only way to load programs onto the PB
    2. OTA program install is not supported on the PB the way it is on other BB devices (maybe someone will hack this one day)
    3. Kindle is not on App World
    4. Therefore no kindle on PB
    Last edited by blackranger3d; 05-27-11 at 02:01 PM.
    05-27-11 01:58 PM
    So do you think we can have both Amazon and Kobo apps on our PB? I'm curious to try both, however currently I'm getting decent ebook prices on kobo and I'm fine with what I have. It would be nice if I can use kindle and get books I might not be able to have available for Canada. However I'm just concern when it asks for a US billing address that the whole process will simply stop, however if Blackranger3d says it doesn't I would give it a try on my PB when when available.
    05-27-11 02:01 PM
    So do you think we can have both Amazon and Kobo apps on our PB? I'm curious to try both, however currently I'm getting decent ebook prices on kobo and I'm fine with what I have. It would be nice if I can use kindle and get books I might not be able to have available for Canada. However I'm just concern when it asks for a US billing address that the whole process will simply stop, however if Blackranger3d says it doesn't I would give it a try on my PB when when available.
    I think you posted this at the same time I updated my post.

Kindle as far as i know can NOT be loaded on the PB yet.
    05-27-11 02:03 PM
    I think you posted this at the same time I updated my post.

Kindle as far as i know can NOT be loaded on the PB yet.
    Sorry, meant to say when Kindle becomes availble for the PB.

I have the kindle app on my BB phone, but just couldn't bring myself to read it on 3" screen even though I downloaded with the original intent to see how good it actually is.

I have a Torch, so it's not like the screen is as small as my old Bold, but my eyes will definitely go cross after 5 minutes!
    05-27-11 02:15 PM
    The Kindle that Amazon let's come to Canada now official released in 3 model Kindle 3, 3g, Dx and New Kindle $109. Not for Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire.
    01-05-12 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD