1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    What is the Kindle Fire intended for?

1: Amazon Prime video stream? Playbook can stream them too.

2: Reading E-Books from Amazon? Playbook can access your Kindle Books via Amazon Cloud.

3: Web Browsing? The Playbook's browser is arguably better.

4: Apps and Games? The Playbook OS 2.0 should give access to the Android Market soon.

What else is there left to do with a Kindle Fire? On top of this, the PB is the master of multitasking, has dual cameras and HD video capability, Starts at 16GB memory, has Word to Go and Adobe reader, GPS, Bridge internet access with a paired BB Smartphone, micro HDMI port all for the SAME price as a K. Fire. (assuming you find yourself a $199 playbook)
    Nicely said! .. I agree!!
    AggreX and malanis5 like this.
    12-06-11 02:42 AM
    What's funny about this "fire sale" of accessories translates in "the Playbook is discontinued" is that it is the holiday shopping season, so a lot of stuff is on sale right now, even iPad accessories. Guess this means the iPad is next on the choping block.
    kbz1960 and AggreX like this.
    12-06-11 04:55 AM
    Let's not kid ourselves; they're both very capable tablets. In fact, they're very similar tablets, using essentially the same chips, designed and built by the same underlying maker--talk about ironies. Some have speculated that the FB is revision D and the Fire revision C of the same design (or is it the other way around?). The Fire lacks the GPS, cameras and hdmi out of the Playbook; but the Playbook lacks the software and media base of the Fire. The Fire has 8 GB vs. 16 GB for the PB; but each is more than adequate unless you start collecting movies, in which case neither gives you enough storage. Neither has an easy way to add storage. While the PB has a micro USB port, it is "crippled" and will not work with a flash drive or SD adapter.

Both have good screens. I believe the Fire's is IPS, giving it the edge.

Both have reasonable browsers. Amazon will quickly fix bugs in the Fire's browser. In time, the Fire's "silk" functionality will probably pay off; meanwhile, you can turn it off. The only complaint I have with the PB's browser is that it won't stream Netflix.

Streaming? The Fire works with everything, including Netflix. The Playbook does not. Its browser does not stream Netflix and a Netflix app has not been provided. The Playbook's HDMI port is nice in that you can play movies on your large screen TV.

Email and Calendar? The Fire has apps. The Playbook does not. You can use a browser interface with Gmail, but no "pushing."

Ebook reader? The Fire works for everything, including, of course, Kindle. The Playbook still does not have a Kindle App. My Playbook would not work with the Kindle Cloud Reader, although I'll try again, as others seem to be getting it to work.

Skype? Available on the Fire, not on the Playbook. Lack of basic IP communications programs is particularly frustrating as the Playbook has good cameras, microphone and speakers. As things stand, video conferencing will only work with other Playbooks.

Android Marketplace? The Playbook is not an Android device, and Android programs will never run directly on its OS. If we ever get the promised OS2 with Android Player, we'll be able to run some (not all) Android programs, but they will run slower because of the extra layer. The Fire runs Android with some Amazon modifications. Amazon already has the main Android apps available for the Fire in its own marketplace. The Fire is also not locked down very tight; and, if you want to, you can easily tweak the OS and access the larger Google Android marketplace.

In short, the Fire is usually ahead with software; the Playbook with hardware. Each could profit from a few things available only on the other one. Going forward, barring some miracle, the Fire, pushed by Amazon's media empire, is going to be a lot better supported than the Playbook...
    12-06-11 04:57 AM
    Let's not kid ourselves; they're both very capable tablets. In fact, they're very similar tablets, using essentially the same chips, designed and built by the same underlying maker--talk about ironies. Some have speculated that the FB is revision D and the Fire revision C of the same design (or is it the other way around?). The Fire lacks the GPS, cameras and hdmi out of the Playbook
    This is always how the fire will be. There is no adding this stuff I think I heard the fire has bluetooth but it is not active?

but the Playbook lacks the software and media base of the Fire.
    This can be fixed.

The Fire has 8 GB vs. 16 GB for the PB; but each is more than adequate unless you start collecting movies, in which case neither gives you enough storage. Neither has an easy way to add storage. While the PB has a micro USB port, it is "crippled" and will not work with a flash drive or SD adapter.
    This can also be enabled with software. Also the playbook can access the sd card in your phone if you have a bb, yes not all files but once again fixable with software.

Both have good screens. I believe the Fire's is IPS, giving it the edge.
    I haven't read much about the fires screen but seems everyone even if they hate the playbook loves the screen.

Both have reasonable browsers. Amazon will quickly fix bugs in the Fire's browser. In time, the Fire's "silk" functionality will probably pay off; meanwhile, you can turn it off. The only complaint I have with the PB's browser is that it won't stream Netflix.

Streaming? The Fire works with everything, including Netflix. The Playbook does not. Its browser does not stream Netflix and a Netflix app has not been provided. The Playbook's HDMI port is nice in that you can play movies on your large screen TV.
    Both browsers can be optimized. The only reason the playbook can't stream netflix is because well.... netflix has blocked it I guess because RIM won't pay them what they want? Seems people are getting fed up with netflix and leaving are they not?

What else does the fire stream that the playbook can not? What is this everything? The playbook can even stream amazon content.

Email and Calendar? The Fire has apps. The Playbook does not. You can use a browser interface with Gmail, but no "pushing."
    The playbook is getting apps for this and if you have a bb it all ready does and even notifies you when you have a message or a call. How does the fire push email? Only if you have an exchange account? How many people that will buy this have an exchange account?

Ebook reader? The Fire works for everything, including, of course, Kindle. The Playbook still does not have a Kindle App. My Playbook would not work with the Kindle Cloud Reader, although I'll try again, as others seem to be getting it to work.
    I guess this matters if you are all ready tied to kindle, seems some have no problem with the cloud reader and there are other readers as well as ways to do things.

Skype? Available on the Fire, not on the Playbook. Lack of basic IP communications programs is particularly frustrating as the Playbook has good cameras, microphone and speakers. As things stand, video conferencing will only work with other Playbooks.
    Yep no skype yet either, could be fixed if skype finds enough interest. I've read many people use real portal or something like that or AOL AV and they say it works well. I don't know I have no need for any of them but many do.

Android Marketplace? The Playbook is not an Android device, and Android programs will never run directly on its OS. If we ever get the promised OS2 with Android Player, we'll be able to run some (not all) Android programs, but they will run slower because of the extra layer. The Fire runs Android with some Amazon modifications. Amazon already has the main Android apps available for the Fire in its own marketplace. The Fire is also not locked down very tight; and, if you want to, you can easily tweak the OS and access the larger Google Android marketplace.
    I guess your right here. Can you provide a link or something that shows proof that the playbook will never get the update or is that your opinion? How do you know well the android player will or will not work? Heard of dingleberry? If you're into that kind of thing. Not sure either is a good idea but whatever someone wants to do OK.

In short, the Fire is usually ahead with software; the Playbook with hardware. Each could profit from a few things available only on the other one. Going forward, barring some miracle, the Fire, pushed by Amazon's media empire, is going to be a lot better supported than the Playbook...
    In your opinion. All that the playbook lacks can be resolved with the OS and software. The fires can not it will take a new rebuilt fire. I don't see RIM not supporting the playbook and "others" will come along when he numbers get there, they all ready are.

But again some fact and some just my opinion.
    AggreX likes this.
    12-06-11 07:13 AM
    I have the Kindle app along with other android apps on my PB.
    12-06-11 08:25 AM
    This is always how the fire will be. There is no adding this stuff I think I heard the fire has bluetooth but it is not active?

This can be fixed.

This can also be enabled with software. Also the playbook can access the sd card in your phone if you have a bb, yes not all files but once again fixable with software.

I haven't read much about the fires screen but seems everyone even if they hate the playbook loves the screen.

Both browsers can be optimized. The only reason the playbook can't stream netflix is because well.... netflix has blocked it I guess because RIM won't pay them what they want? Seems people are getting fed up with netflix and leaving are they not?

What else does the fire stream that the playbook can not? What is this everything? The playbook can even stream amazon content.

The playbook is getting apps for this and if you have a bb it all ready does and even notifies you when you have a message or a call. How does the fire push email? Only if you have an exchange account? How many people that will buy this have an exchange account?

I guess this matters if you are all ready tied to kindle, seems some have no problem with the cloud reader and there are other readers as well as ways to do things.

Yep no skype yet either, could be fixed if skype finds enough interest. I've read many people use real portal or something like that or AOL AV and they say it works well. I don't know I have no need for any of them but many do.

I guess your right here. Can you provide a link or something that shows proof that the playbook will never get the update or is that your opinion? How do you know well the android player will or will not work? Heard of dingleberry? If you're into that kind of thing. Not sure either is a good idea but whatever someone wants to do OK.

In your opinion. All that the playbook lacks can be resolved with the OS and software. The fires can not it will take a new rebuilt fire. I don't see RIM not supporting the playbook and "others" will come along when he numbers get there, they all ready are.

thats all fine and dandy all the short commings can be fixed with software.will they?? no one knows.as it stands today out of the box sounds like the kf is better equipped.i like my pb but as it stands today its lacking for sure.no one has even mentioned the doc reader with pb.it wont read half of my ms xl files.i have to convert them.i dont get it as i have docs to go on my ipod touch and they all open without convert
    12-06-11 08:30 AM
    My son is a complete computer geek and avid reader and has the original Kindle. He just bought a Kindle Fire and does not like it at all. Too slow...........feels cheap....
    Just his view.
    12-06-11 08:45 AM
    thats all fine and dandy all the short commings can be fixed with software.will they?? no one knows.as it stands today out of the box sounds like the kf is better equipped.i like my pb but as it stands today its lacking for sure.no one has even mentioned the doc reader with pb.it wont read half of my ms xl files.i have to convert them.i dont get it as i have docs to go on my ipod touch and they all open without convert
    I believe they will if you don't I suggest you enjoy your fire and get rid of your PB. I don't know about docs to go and don't care about it but I'm also sure it will be improved. Doesn't RIM own data vis or who ever makes that now?

Not sure about apple and ms things these days do files still need to be converted to be read on the different computer systems?

I find it a little confusing that people are talking about a consumption device and business in the same sentence.
    12-06-11 09:11 AM

This can be fixed.

Perfect. You have figured out how to fix the PlayBook. One massive software update that increases the functionality of the device 10 fold. Release is scheduled for 2015. (Not a promise, just scheduled!)
    12-06-11 09:15 AM
    Perfect. You have figured out how to fix the PlayBook. One massive software update that increases the functionality of the device 10 fold. Release is scheduled for 2015. (Not a promise, just scheduled!)
    I see you're still carrying that half empty mason jar of dingleberries like that proverbial monkey on your back? Me, well, my glass is always 1/2 full, with attendants waiting with baited breath to keep it that way.
    12-06-11 09:19 AM
    Thanks. I'll geter done way before then.

Never figured it would be one massive update.
    12-06-11 10:49 AM
    That list will honestly make the PB even better than I think what RIM promised 8 months ago. The problem is they actually have to deliver and follow though.

Many people on here say you should have never bought the PB on what RIM promised or the "potentional" of the PB. Then they turn around and go on and on about those very things. You cant have it both ways. I dont fully agree with the statement either. There is tons of potentional there. RIM has been slower than a snail completing the PB and unleashing that potential though. Making more "misteps" than positives with it so far.

No matter what, the biggest factor in this discussion is what the end user needs. If the user doesnt have a BB and needs PIM, then right now on this day the kindle is probably going to be the better device. If they want to stream netflix and hulu they can do this with the fire. If they use hotspot capable phone they have internet for either device. If they want possibilities of using skype video or to take pictures at all then the PB wins. These key factors based on the 2 devices right now are what matter.
    12-06-11 10:59 AM
    Let's not kid ourselves; they're both very capable tablets...
    The Kindle is a glorified ereader, it has limited tablet functionality, such as web browsing and media, it is not meant to be a fully functional tablet and it isnt meant to compete with playbook or ipad or any of the other tablets out there. They basically made a colour ereader that had extra features to compete with some of the other readers out on the market right now.
    12-06-11 11:30 AM
    The Kindle is a glorified ereader, it has limited tablet functionality, such as web browsing and media, it is not meant to be a fully functional tablet and it isnt meant to compete with playbook or ipad or any of the other tablets out there. They basically made a colour ereader that had extra features to compete with some of the other readers out on the market right now.
    "Glorified ereader/web-browser/personal media player/handheld gamer" is exactly what a tablet is, at least under today's technical and engineering limitations.

At present all tablets are still toys that have no hope to replace a full fledged laptop. Amazon has learned from others' costly mistakes that people are willing to pay $200 for a toy without a fruit logo. The trick for Rim and the gaggle of Android makers is to find a way to make something between the Fire and Ipad price points AND differentiate the hardware in some way. Maybe a 12 incher under one pound in weight? A LOT of host ports? Powerful enough CPU to play recent PC games?
    12-06-11 11:54 AM
    "Glorified ereader/web-browser/personal media player/handheld gamer" is exactly what a tablet is, at least under today's technical and engineering limitations.

At present all tablets are still toys that have no hope to replace a full fledged laptop. Amazon has learned from others' costly mistakes that people are willing to pay $200 for a toy without a fruit logo. The trick for Rim and the gaggle of Android makers is to find a way to make something between the Fire and Ipad price points AND differentiate the hardware in some way. Maybe a 12 incher under one pound in weight? A LOT of host ports? Powerful enough CPU to play recent PC games?
    that still doesnt deny the fact that it isnt meant to be a full fledged tablet, it's not meant to have the same capabilities as a full fledged tablet and it doesnt have the same hardware as a full fledged tablet. In fact Kindle themselves are promoting it as an ereader and not a tablet. So this whole thread is just silly.
    12-06-11 03:55 PM
    I believe they will if you don't I suggest you enjoy your fire and get rid of your PB. I don't know about docs to go and don't care about it but I'm also sure it will be improved. Doesn't RIM own data vis or who ever makes that now?

Not sure about apple and ms things these days do files still need to be converted to be read on the different computer systems?

I find it a little confusing that people are talking about a consumption device and business in the same sentence.
    no flies no not need to be converted between apple microsof and even linux,i run all 3 and i dont have to convert anything,on the pb i have to convert my ms offic files and i have to convert my avi movies to have mp3 audio as the pb wont play ac3 audio,thats great u dont use doc to go but others do and maybe some care as i see u dont,i use skype on all 3 of my devices and no its not on the pb,and again u dont care and sugest somthing else,if i wanted to use somthing else to chat i would,i use skype and it works on my other devices,its funny how some people get sp defensive regarding their pb,is it because they were the unlucky ones that paid 500 for these things,i would prob be defensive also,glad i only paid 150 for mine,
    12-06-11 07:16 PM
    no flies no not need to be converted between apple microsof and even linux,i run all 3 and i dont have to convert anything,on the pb i have to convert my ms offic files and i have to convert my avi movies to have mp3 audio as the pb wont play ac3 audio,thats great u dont use doc to go but others do and maybe some care as i see u dont,i use skype on all 3 of my devices and no its not on the pb,and again u dont care and sugest somthing else,if i wanted to use somthing else to chat i would,i use skype and it works on my other devices,its funny how some people get sp defensive regarding their pb,is it because they were the unlucky ones that paid 500 for these things,i would prob be defensive also,glad i only paid 150 for mine,
    Yeah a person shouldn't have to do those things. I guess some of us like the PB so much we don't mind.
    12-06-11 07:20 PM
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........Oh! I'm sorry. I was just trying out the Kindle Fire for a few hours, and I dropped off there. Pretty little eReader. Nice screen. Not a bad browser, per se, but borrrrrrrring. See, I actually did buy one, before I found out that I could still get a PB (they were sold out everywhere) this past Saturday at Radio Shack online. Well, the Fire was delivered to my office this afternoon, and I decided to give it a spin before I sent it back. Now, there is no question that I was going send it back and keep my PB (arriving this Thursday), but, after this, I can say without a doubt, man, is it ever lucky I found the PB.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-06-11 07:53 PM
    Now, there is no question that I was going send it back and keep my PB (arriving this Thursday)
    Send it back !? You should really consider not sending it back. Remember, the Kindle has Angry Birds. Just saying.
    12-06-11 08:05 PM
    Hey, the KFC, hold the chicken, and the Nook are great toys; I bought one of each as stockin stuffers for a couple of toddlers in my family.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-06-11 08:10 PM
    Send it back !? You should really consider not sending it back. Remember, the Kindle has Angry Birds. Just saying.
    Yeah, I was wondering. When did the presence of Angry Birds become the end all and be all of the Great Tablet Experience? .
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-06-11 09:09 PM
    Yeah, I was wondering. When did the presence of Angry Birds become the end all and be all of the Great Tablet Experience? .
    Where have you been? I guess the same place I have been.
    12-06-11 09:12 PM

Since my two tablets have not freed me from having to lug my laptop around, I have to admit that, functionally, tablets remain largely toys for those of us who need real software. It may come full circle soon, though, given that Windows is becoming more "gesture friendly" while tablet hardware is becoming more capable of providing a Windows environment in a thin package. Take a look at the Fujitsu Q550. Windows 8 may well turn out to be the iPad killer...

Meanwhile, though, it's pointless to try to demean the Fire by calling it an "e-reader" rather than a "real" tablet. The Fire and Playbook share their core hardware--do some Googling on this and you'll see what I mean. I prefer the PB. But, philosophically, I have to say the Fire is closer to the ideal of the tablet in that it is a general purpose device and does not limit you the way the closed RIM OS with its scant apps does on the PB. Yes, the Fire can also work as a Kindle e-reader. I wish the Playbook could.
    12-07-11 04:22 AM
    "Levity, levity...aweigh the morale suppression team, Mrs Gatz is on deck."
    They'll be no looting, defaming, character injustice against any ye device, psychological wasteland of ideals, or trolling for the sake of assassination -

on my watch !

BTW, Blackjack was banned ? for how long
    ?
    12-07-11 07:39 AM
    ^Supposedly Amazon released the tab with a sub-par browser, to force users to utilize their built-in shopping app. "to keep users from shopping on competing sites"
    12-07-11 07:42 AM
107 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD