Indeed, Playbook destroys the Kindle fire on hardware specs and pretty much everything else in my opinion. Now that the Playbook has been rooted, it's only a matter of time until we have the only thing that makes the Kindle worth buying... the Amazon app store.
    Why would you buy a product just so you can buy more stuff? I understand that it is convenience but just spend a little more time and find the stuff online for free like me and that is why I buy stuff for the hardware because software especially on tablets can be changed but hardware cannot be upgraded. I don't see a reason to buy things from wherever they are convenient.
    12-04-11 08:15 AM
    Kindle fire then get CM7. That is if you don't mind the .5gb of ram 8gb of memory less than the playbook, and no cameras
    How does CM7 run on it? I know nothing about the different ROM's. I thought android is kicking up all the hardware because it needs it and doesn't run well on lesser hardware at least the newer versions.

Myself I love my pb and at the sale prices I think it's a no brainer for a lot of people to get it over the fire and nook unless someone wants content now and can't wait for it to come to the pb. Not saying there aren't several way to get content on the pb but it isn't as easy as going to the store and picking it.
    12-04-11 08:16 AM
    Kindle fire, amazon will actually give you support if you have a problem. Something blackberry will never offer. Fire is the hot product while playbook's being discontinued.

Plus, if you don't like the fire, you can easily sell it used for a minimal loss
    Go with the new, not the old and discontinued.

At least amazon knows not to release a small screen tablet and not set the price equal to an ipad
    Quit spreading misinformation. This is exactly what starts problems on here and we don't need it any more.
    12-04-11 08:21 AM
    Why would you buy a product just so you can buy more stuff? I understand that it is convenience but just spend a little more time and find the stuff online for free like me and that is why I buy stuff for the hardware because software especially on tablets can be changed but hardware cannot be upgraded. I don't see a reason to buy things from wherever they are convenient.

OMG, some of you people still dont get it ! This guy loves his PB, yet he is part of the tremendous issue of it going the way of the dinosaur !

This guy buys a PS3, Xbox, or er........a frickin razor, and stares at it in awe but refuses to buy the blades.

Man oh man, blame this eccentric, 'I love my hardware, and my bridge, tech IT guy baloney' when your forced to go buy another tablet because yours is not supported any more.

The weirdos IT nutshells that espout 'oh i love my hardware' and use it for documents, are in the bottom 1% of the market, buh bye platform RIM if this is your base.

12-04-11 08:28 AM

OMG, some of you people still dont get it ! This guy loves his PB, yet he is part of the tremendous issue of it going the way of the dinosaur !

This guy buys a PS3, Xbox, or er........a frickin razor, and stares at it in awe but refuses to buy the blades.

Man oh man, blame this eccentric, 'I love my hardware, and my bridge, tech IT guy baloney' when your forced to go buy another tablet because yours is not supported any more.

The weirdos IT nutshells that espout 'oh i love my hardware' and use it for documents, are in the bottom 1% of the market, buh bye platform RIM if this is your base.

Mrs Gatz you confuse me. One time I read one of your post and you seem to like RIM and the playbook and the next time you seem to be the opposite.
    12-04-11 08:33 AM
    I've seen that as well, but I'm not going there.
    12-04-11 08:37 AM
    Mrs Gatz you confuse me. One time I read one of your post and you seem to like RIM and the playbook and the next time you seem to be the opposite.
    Im moody, heehee.

No really I guess i lost my point somewhere, oh yes -

Support the device by buying its software if you want it to survive. The hardware is nada without the emotional experience (software).

People.....just.....dont....get......it, untill there aint no more white bears on the planet, and then we wake up !
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-04-11 08:41 AM
    I've seen that as well, but I'm not going there.
    teeheehee

Nice short sentences, I love it, good job !
    12-04-11 08:43 AM
    Im moody, heehee.

No really I guess i lost my point somewhere, oh yes -

Support the device by buying its software if you want it to survive. The hardware is nada without the emotional experience (software).

People.....just.....dont....get......it, untill there aint no more white bears on the planet, and then we wake up !
    You do crack me up at times. I agree people need to quit being cheap and buy some apps but in the same respect if there aren't any apps a person is interested in or needs it's hard to buy an app just to do so.
    12-04-11 08:48 AM
    You do crack me up at times. I agree people need to quit being cheap and buy some apps but in the same respect if there aren't any apps a person is interested in or needs it's hard to buy an app just to do so.
    Dont forget your punctuation, sir !

teehee
    12-04-11 08:50 AM
    Dont forget your punctuation, sir !

teehee
    Well I've been out of school for many years and spent many years working in factories. Maybe you could give me lessons as after not having to really use grammar, punctuation and like for too many years a lot has been lost by my pea brain.
    12-04-11 08:56 AM
    Well I've been out of school for many years and spent many years working in factories. Maybe you could give me lessons as after not having to really use grammar, punctuation and like for too many years a lot has been lost by my pea brain.
    lol

Whatcha makin at them factories ? Android tablets ? OOPS (NVM wrong forum)
    12-04-11 09:00 AM
    lol

Whatcha makin at them factories ? Android tablets ? OOPS (NVM wrong forum)
    You don't wanna know LOL

Actually nothing exciting.
    12-04-11 09:06 AM
    I own an original Kindle, but can't speak to the Kindle Fire. I would like to say that I have received very good customer support from RIM (Blackberry) any time that I have needed them. One poster stated that Amazon would provide support but Blackberry wouldn't. I have not found that to be the case. This is a choice that you will need to make for yourself, but make sure that you are considering ALL of the information. Sometimes you need to filter out comments. Look at all of the replies overall and see if there is a common theme. One told you no support and I told you fine support. See what other people have to say about that too. It's not easy to do sometimes. I read every post on this forum before I bought my PB. Sorted through positive and negative posts and made my decision to buy the PB. BTW-I have not been sorry that I bought a PB. I love mine.
    alnamvet68 and AggreX like this.
    12-04-11 09:16 AM
    38 replies to your post here...0 replies still on the Kindle forum.
    12-04-11 09:27 AM
    Im sure both amazon will offer support, I guess the only thing you should be worried about is that blackberry will go bankrupt in a few years and then be unable to provide support
    12-04-11 09:49 AM
    Im sure both amazon will offer support, I guess the only thing you should be worried about is that blackberry will go bankrupt in a few years and then be unable to provide support
    I would think in a few years you'll only need to worry about support for a device you buy in a year and half from now.
    12-04-11 09:57 AM
    Wow, reading this forum thread was brutal. Ok- I own both. Bought the PB in April. Bought the Fire on pre-order. They are entirly different beasts. The PB is a full tablet. The Fire is a semi-tablet. What's missing is Bluetooth, cameras, HDMI out, microSD (not on PB either but you can access files from BB microSD), cellular connectivity (Bridge is a wonder!) and multitasking. What the Fire boils down to is a portal for Amazon. It's a media consumption device. At the same price, or even at its original price, the PB is worth it- to me. Now, if all you want to do is download movies, music, books, magazines, some games and do some web surfing, the Fire is fine. But for a true tablet experience, the PB is amazing. And it's not being discontinued or forgotten. OS 2.0 arrives in Feb and RIM is currently strong in supporting their baby.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by gregerator; 12-04-11 at 10:24 AM.
    12-04-11 10:09 AM
    Wow, reading this forum thread was brutal. Ok- I own both. Bought the PB in April. Bought the Fire on pre-order. They are entirly different beasts. The PB is a full tablet. The Fire is a semi-tablet. What's missing is Bluetooth, cameras, HDMI out, microSD (not on PB either but you can access files from BB microSD), cellular connectivity (Bridge is a wonder!) and multitasking. What the Fire boils down to is a portak for Amazon. It's a media consumption device. At the same price, or even at its original price, the PB is worth it- to me. Now, if all you want to do is download movies, music, books, magazines, some games and do some web surfing, the Fire is fine. But for a true tablet experience, the PB is amazing. And it's not being discontinued or forgotten. OS 2.0 arrives in Feb and RIM is currently strong in supporting their baby.

Hope that helps.
    OMG, what type of experience is the avg mom and pop going to get without those features? Dont you get it?

Those are the only features that matter to 98% (not an overstatement) of the consumer base.

Again, and pardon, DONT YOU GET IT ?

Apple - 11 million in 3 mo to the 98% - RIM 200, 000 to you IT guys

And here comes Amazon and Barnes and Noble.........

PB is fine tech
    , but without any fun, would you stay in a sexless marriage?

Funny thing is, your reasoning as seen as positive is really the opposite, and im not picking on you, its just ironic.
    12-04-11 10:23 AM
    I'm having the same dilemma as you and have both sitting in front of me right now. One needs to go back soon. It depends on what your situation/desired use of the device is. I'm 95% sure the Fire is going back.

If you are already an avid Kindle user/reader, the Kindle probably makes more sense.
    If you use a BB already (and plan to for the next year), the PlayBook makes more sense.

If your main use is basic email and web browsing, plus a little twitter and Facebook (assuming your email is one that will integrate with Kindle), the Fire is probably better. The fact there is no native email on the PlayBook is inexcusable to me (for a company whose main claim to fame is solid, secure email).

One little thing about browsing .. because the Fire doesn't do bezel swiping, it always has the little bar on the bottom of the screen to take you home .. it does limit the size of your web page viewing vs. the PB.

Do you plan on paying the annual fee for Prime .. if not, I would probably recommend the PB.

If you want to use your device to stream tv/videos to a TV via HDMI .. Playbook.

My original intent was getting a device that I could use to browse the web, keep up with email and Twitter. Because I have a BB (and will for at least another year), the PlayBook makes more sense to me. I have an old Nook for eReading (the older e-Ink technology is still superior for long sessions of reading text/books, imo) so the Kindle was less appealing
    to me.

I'm not too worried about the 'long' term .. these devices are going to change a ton over the next couple of years. I think people are kidding themselves if they think they are going to be able to sell a used Fire for $150 (unless you are talking about selling it in the next 30-60 days). I bought the original iPod touch (3 1/2 years ago) .. it still works great, but doesn't support 90% of the newer apps out there because it can't handle the updated OS. So even though its still supported, it's ability to do 'new' things is limited. Luckily, the Pandora app still works on it, so it's our dedicated Pandora device in the kitchen (which we use almost every day).

Sorry for the rambling post. I've gone back and forth at least 4 times on this decision. I will say one of the earlier posters was right about the 'brightness' feeling of the Fire. When I opened it up and turned it on, I was sold on keeping it. But after using it for about 30 minutes, I realized I preferred the PB. YMMV.

Oh yeah .. one note on apps. While I can't believe there is not an official Twitter app for PB .. the one on the Fire is just a weblink too ... shocked Amazon didn't get one of those created yet. When it comes to apps, I would have thought Facebook, Twitter and Netflix would be mandatory for any new platform.
    BlackStormRising and AggreX like this.
    12-04-11 10:28 AM
    but without any fun, would you stay in a sexless marriage?[/B]
    You don't have to tell me twice....seeya have a nice life
    12-04-11 10:54 AM
    I would like to point out something important. The Kindle Fire is a colour ereader, it is not a tablet, it can function in some similar ways but not in others. A lot of people are making this mistake, thinking that they are getting a cheap tablet when buying the kindle fire but are sadly mistaken, in fact there was an article written about how many fires are being returned to kindle (cant remember offhand but it was a big number) because people did not realize the difference. If you want a tablet get the playbook, if you want a colour ereader that has a few extra features on top of normal ereaders get the fire.
    barskin and MXBerry like this.
    12-04-11 10:58 AM
    OMG, what type of experience is the avg mom and pop going to get without those features? Dont you get it?

Those are the only features that matter to 98% (not an overstatement) of the consumer base.

Again, and pardon, DONT YOU GET IT ?

Apple - 11 million in 3 mo to the 98% - RIM 200, 000 to you IT guys

And here comes Amazon and Barnes and Noble.........

PB is fine tech
    , but without any fun, would you stay in a sexless marriage?

Funny thing is, your reasoning as seen as positive is really the opposite, and im not picking on you, its just ironic.
    Oh Mrs Gatz I have to comment that if you think there is no fun to the playbook you are sadly mistaken.
    12-04-11 11:01 AM
    Oh Mrs Gatz I have to comment that if you think there is no fun to the playbook you are sadly mistaken.
    Yes, of course, this forum is fun !
    12-04-11 11:15 AM
    if you are a true blackberry user, buy playbook definitely. bridge will helps you a lot.
    OS2 will have much better than now. but OS1 also works great.
    12-04-11 12:40 PM
107 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD