I'm looking into getting a tablet and I'm on edge on if I should get the Kindle Fire or the Blackberry Playbook. They are both in the $200 range but both I can see have pros and cons. I understand that I'm on a Kindle Fire forum but I would like to get some honest opinions after telling you what exactly I'm looking for. First off here is what I can see with the Kindle Fire and the Blackberry Playbook.

Kindle Fire has just released and so far it has a strong community. However, it only holds 8GB while the Blackberry Playbook can hold 16GB. I'm not a Prime member so I would not use any of those features that comes with it. Both tablets, as far as I know, have their own marketplaces which means no Android Marketplace and I'm concerned neither would have a expanse free app selection. I'm also very concerned if there is a strong community left for the Blackberry Playbook. Although, I do like the fact the Blackberry Playbook comes with dual cameras which would help when video chatting with family and friends over Skype (if that's a features for the Playbook.). Seeing how most of you on here own the Kindle Fire, could you tell me which out of the two is the better choice?
    12-03-11 10:48 PM
    The USB is extremely slow, the 'cloud accelerated' web browser performs slower than usual etc etc. The information is all around the net... just search for it. There are enough reviews that point out the defects.
    12-03-11 10:53 PM
    Thanks for your input. I have been looking around and I just can't make up my mind. I figured I would go to both users. I asked the same question on both the Playbook forum here and on the Kindle Fire forum. Just looking for some user responses.
    12-03-11 10:55 PM
    i THINK YOU'RE CONFUSED. THIS IS CRACKBERRY FORUM... BLACKBERRY USERS... HENCE.. PLAYBOOK USERS.

Now... I've never seen a kindle fire in action.. but I do Own 2 playbooks and ITs pretty good.

The only issue i see with my playbook is the lack of apps.. The app market is pretty good so far... as QNX is new you cant compare it to the amount of apps iOS or android have.

However i'm using the OS2 beta and i've manage to fill my needs with a couple of android apps... So i'm pretty satisfied with it. I own a Blackberry device so I have internet pretty much everywhere.
    Blackberry_boffin and kbz1960 like this.
    12-03-11 10:56 PM
    I'm looking into getting a tablet and I'm on edge on if I should get the Kindle Fire or the Blackberry Playbook. They are both in the $200 range but both I can see have pros and cons. I understand that I'm on a Kindle Fire forum but I would like to get some honest opinions after telling you what exactly I'm looking for. First off here is what I can see with the Kindle Fire and the Blackberry Playbook.

Kindle Fire has just released and so far it has a strong community. However, it only holds 8GB while the Blackberry Playbook can hold 16GB. I'm not a Prime member so I would not use any of those features that comes with it. Both tablets, as far as I know, have their own marketplaces which means no Android Marketplace and I'm concerned neither would have a expanse free app selection. I'm also very concerned if there is a strong community left for the Blackberry Playbook. Although, I do like the fact the Blackberry Playbook comes with dual cameras which would help when video chatting with family and friends over Skype (if that's a features for the Playbook.). Seeing how most of you on here own the Kindle Fire, could you tell me which out of the two is the better choice?
    Hi and welcome to the Blackberry Playbook Forums, even though you said the Kindle Fire Forum. We have some good tips and tricks in the top part of this forum, called 'Sticky', or click down below my signature for ~~ Essential TIPS for NEW PLAYBOOK OWNERS (click below) ~~.

Give those a read and it may help you decide what is right for you.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-03-11 10:59 PM

Kindle fire, amazon will actually give you support if you have a problem. Something blackberry will never offer. Fire is the hot product while playbook's being discontinued.

Plus, if you don't like the fire, you can easily sell it used for a minimal loss
    Go with the new, not the old and discontinued.

At least amazon knows not to release a small screen tablet and not set the price equal to an ipad
    12-03-11 11:00 PM
    No I understand this is Crackberry forum. I meant that I used the sub-forum for the Playbook. Thanks for your insight on the Playbook. Applications is one of the big factors in my decision. I truly wish both offered the Android Marketplace.
    12-03-11 11:01 PM
    I think that I have sparked some confusion here. What I meant was that I'm asking both users on separate forums. I posted the same question on a separate forum that deals only with the Kindle Fire. I'm looking for Playbook insight here not Kindle Fire. Now if you can tell me what you think of the Kindle Fire, that's great I'll take it into consideration.

So the Playbook is discontinued or is this just a rumor going around. I was more leaning to the Playbook but now I'm more concerned about it being discontinued and what will happen to the Playbook community.
    12-03-11 11:05 PM
    Kindle fire, amazon will actually give you support if you have a problem. Something blackberry will never offer. Fire is the hot product while playbook's being discontinued.

Plus, if you don't like the fire, you can easily sell it used for a minimal loss
    Go with the new, not the old and discontinued.

At least amazon knows not to release a small screen tablet and not set the price equal to an ipad
    Let me see your proof that the playbook is discontinued. Oh that's right you can't.
    12-03-11 11:10 PM
    All tablets are different in respect to each other, and each person needs to get the right one for them. As it really depends on what you want to use it for.
    Since you talked about the Kindle first, you may want to stick with that one.
    Sorry I could not help you more. Good Luck in your Quest!
    AggreX likes this.
    12-03-11 11:10 PM
    There is no real word of it being discontinued. It will actually get a big update in February. With that update you will actually get some android apps working on the playbook.
    12-03-11 11:13 PM
    OP if you can find them working and updated in a store (good luck finding a working and updated playbook) you should use them both and see what you like but if you're a big app person and absolutely have to have skype and tons of apps get a fire. I think playbook will have these apps but not for awhile yet.

I'm sure you saw my question to the poster about it being discontinued.
    12-03-11 11:14 PM
    Fire is the hot product while playbook's being discontinued
    Back this opinion with some facts
    Schecter006 likes this.
    12-03-11 11:15 PM
    RIM is constantly stating they support the playbook, it's not being discontinued.

The 16 GB playbook is a $500 tablet selling for $200 (Merry Christmas from RIM)

This is a $500 tablet - great OS, excellent screen, 2 cameras (HD video recording), excellent speakers, great portability, GPS, OS2 in February, top-notch craftsmanship...it will only get better with time

My customer service experience with RIM has been good.
    12-03-11 11:19 PM
    This might help you out:

My playbook use:

Work Related:
    HDMI connection to a TV for presentations
    Adobe Reader , Docs to Go, Browser, Dropbox, boxnet.
    Files and folders (acces to google docs)
    My File manager (file browsing including bridged files)
    Groovy Notes (Note Taking, type)
    NoteSmartly (Note taking, pics and sound)

Torrents...

Games:
    MADDEN NFL, Deadspace, UNO, LIFE, Grave Deffense

Android Apps:

Skype (no video chat thou)
    IM+
    Handrite Free (Handwritten notes with a stylus)
    Electrodroid (App for calculating electronic values)
    I also have an android app for highlighting texts from a PDF.

this might give u aclue of what you can do with a PB.
    12-03-11 11:22 PM
    No I understand this is Crackberry forum. I meant that I used the sub-forum for the Playbook. Thanks for your insight on the Playbook. Applications is one of the big factors in my decision. I truly wish both offered the Android Marketplace.
    I have owned a 16 GB PlayBook (my wife paid full price for it as a Father's Day gift for me).. That being said, I honestly love the PlayBook and wouldn't trade it for two Kindle Fires. Yes, the PlayBook doesn't have as many apps in App World as Android or Apple.. but it does have enough apps to make the device useful (other than the apps/functionality that come with it). I have Madden 2012, Tofu 1 and 2, Conqu, Poynt, Evernote, Groovy Notes, etc. On the hardware side, the PlayBook has mini HDMI, Bluetooth, 16 gb+ vs 8 gb, dual hd camera, and bezel swipes..

Frankly, I think you'd be stupid not to get the PlayBook.. especially with OS 2.0 right around the corner...

Ps. Ignore the haters on this site. You can't please everyone....
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-03-11 11:33 PM
    I own both and I'll tell you "forget about the playbook, get the kindle fire."
    The Playbook's past, present, and future are all pretty gloomy. It's a very dark device.
    You want to stick with something that will have a bright future, so go with the Kindle Fire. The build quality of the Kindle Fire is also higher; you can tell that right away when you hold both in your hands. The Playbook is slightly lighter though...maybe that's why it feels cheap compared to the Kindle. The Kindle Fire also have Gorilla Glass. I don't think Playbook uses Gorilla Glass (not 100% sure on that). The Playbook also sports a wider girth compared to the thinner Kindle Fire.
    Out of the Playbook's 16gb storage, only 12-13gbs are available (I forgot the exact number). The Kindle has about 6.5gb out of 8gb available. The playbook has a slightly faster processor, 512MB more ram, and dual cameras. If you have a mic/headphone combo (both mic and headphone use the same 3.5mm jack), if will work on the Kindle Fire.
    On the software front, Kindle Fire wins hands down.

It seems most people who bought a Playbook before this sale were Blackberry users. If we take market data as a base statistic, it would appear that Blackberry users are a dying breed, at a rate that is smaller than Symbian users. (-4% decline in BB vs -0.8% in Symbian in 2011). The community of diehards seems to be alive and kicking though.

Another thing you should consider is the resell value. Popular device tend to retain higher resell value (for examples, look at the original iPad, iPhone 4, and iPad2). I believe the Kindle Fire will probably be in the $150 range if you resell it sometimes next year. Playbook is harder to say, but I think its true worth is about $99, similar to the HP touchpad.
    12-03-11 11:35 PM
    @tearsana - I'm not going to bash you for your post as we are all entitled to our own opinion.. I just think yours is way off base. I haven't used a Fire, but to say that it is better quality on the hardware side is just absurd. The estimates for actual cost of the PlayBook put it in the neighborhood of $250-$300 because of all of the nice extras (bluetooth, mini HDMI, video cameras).. The Fire.. a shade above $200.. Since the Fire has no external ports or connectability, I would equate it to a souped up e-reader..
    AggreX likes this.
    12-03-11 11:43 PM
    I own both and I'll tell you "forget about the playbook, get the kindle fire."
    The Playbook's past, present, and future are all pretty gloomy. It's a very dark device.
    You want to stick with something that will have a bright future, so go with the Kindle Fire. The build quality of the Kindle Fire is also higher; you can tell that right away when you hold both in your hands. The Playbook is slightly lighter though...maybe that's why it feels cheap compared to the Kindle. The Kindle Fire also have Gorilla Glass. I don't think Playbook uses Gorilla Glass (not 100% sure on that). The Playbook also sports a wider girth compared to the thinner Kindle Fire.
    Out of the Playbook's 16gb storage, only 12-13gbs are available (I forgot the exact number). The Kindle has about 6.5gb out of 8gb available. The playbook has a slightly faster processor, 512MB more ram, and dual cameras. If you have a mic/headphone combo (both mic and headphone use the same 3.5mm jack), if will work on the Kindle Fire.
    On the software front, Kindle Fire wins hands down.

It seems most people who bought a Playbook before this sale were Blackberry users. If we take market data as a base statistic, it would appear that Blackberry users are a dying breed, at a rate that is smaller than Symbian users. (-4% decline in BB vs -0.8% in Symbian in 2011). The community of diehards seems to be alive and kicking though.

Another thing you should consider is the resell value. Popular device tend to retain higher resell value (for examples, look at the original iPad, iPhone 4, and iPad2). I believe the Kindle Fire will probably be in the $150 range if you resell it sometimes next year. Playbook is harder to say, but I think its true worth is about $99, similar to the HP touchpad.
    Even though I told the OP they would probably be better off getting the fire your post seems fishy to me but that's your opinion not fact.
    AggreX and Blkacesvf41 like this.
    12-03-11 11:45 PM
    ...The build quality of the Kindle Fire is also higher; you can tell that right away when you hold both in your hands. The Playbook is slightly lighter though...maybe that's why it feels cheap compared to the Kindle.
    On the software front, Kindle Fire wins hands down...
    You are high. Total BS straight up. Fire build quality is garbage in comparison and the playbook weighs more easily. And the software is no where close to the playbook. Yeah, I have both too and its bye bye Fire for me now after comparing it to the PB. No way in hail is this PB a $99 dollar tablet. Such foolishness you have spewed.
    AggreX likes this.
    12-04-11 12:02 AM
    I've physically compared both and the Playbook is easily much better in quality IMO
    AggreX likes this.
    12-04-11 12:39 AM
    Indeed, Playbook destroys the Kindle fire on hardware specs and pretty much everything else in my opinion. Now that the Playbook has been rooted, it's only a matter of time until we have the only thing that makes the Kindle worth buying... the Amazon app store.
    12-04-11 12:58 AM
    You are high. Total BS straight up. Fire build quality is garbage in comparison and the playbook weighs more easily. And the software is no where close to the playbook. Yeah, I have both too and its bye bye Fire for me now after comparing it to the PB. No way in hail is this PB a $99 dollar tablet. Such foolishness you have spewed.
    He is smoking some good stuff isn't he? Yes the PB has some shortcomings specially if you have an obsession with a dumb game like angry birds, which I was done with after 5 mins, but this comparison is nuts.
    AggreX and lovin2act like this.
    12-04-11 07:00 AM
    Kindle Fire and its primary competitor, the Nook, are great e-tablets and are all the rage in my neighborhood of 5 and 6 year olds. All these elementary school kids finally found a way to make reading on one's free time not such a geeky thing to do. I know there's a KF and a Nook for a couple of the kids in my family, and all my neighbors all feel the same way, and most have stated that their children all want those e-books. Yes sir, it's a great day in America....kids may have burned their library cards and avoided being seen in B&N all these years, but it is now chic amongst these budding Einsteins, to be in posession of and being seen sitting in the mall reading or watching movies, or playing games on their cool Nooks or KF's.
    drice01 likes this.
    12-04-11 07:12 AM
    Kindle fire then get CM7. That is if you don't mind the .5gb of ram 8gb of memory less than the playbook, and no cameras
    steppinghorse likes this.
    12-04-11 08:11 AM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD