I was able to load a book using the bridge browser but not directly from my playbook. What am I doing wrong?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 09:40 AM
    You don't need wifi if you use the Bridge browser to open the reader. So if you have a BB you can use the reader pretty much like the Kindle 3G.

Great. Since I hardly use the Bridge Browser much, I can set up the Cloud Kindle on it and leave it permanently running. Then use the ordinary browser for normal er... browsing as and when!
    08-11-11 09:48 AM
    I was able to load a book using the bridge browser but not directly from my playbook. What am I doing wrong?

I don't know but try clearing the cache and pushed content on your regular PB browser and then try loading the Cloud reader again. Maybe there was some interruption of the process the first time you tried it.
    gtiffany likes this.
    08-11-11 10:52 AM
    The problem was that I had it set for private browsing. Thank you all for your hints. I would have returned my PB on the first day if I hadn't received so much help from the CB community.
    08-11-11 01:26 PM
    Finally can get at my books from Kindle!! Kindle app for Android player has to many hangups right now and causes crashes on PB.

Thanks Amazon for this short term solution.
    08-11-11 03:58 PM
    You don't need wifi if you use the Bridge browser to open the reader. So if you have a BB you can use the reader pretty much like the Kindle 3G.

Ok, well the point was you need an online connection, wifi or bridge if you have it, to open the reader. Geezz
    08-11-11 05:35 PM
    So I can't have my PB turned off and in the middle of a flight change my mind and start to read my books? It has to be on when I'm in the terminal so I can load the reader, and I have to leave it on at all times during my flight or I suddenly lose access to my library? I'm hooped if I don't have a full charge at boarding on a trans-Atlantic flight I guess!

And when I'm vacationing in my favourite little hotel in Tulum Mexico or the other on Cay Caulker in Belize neither of which have cell/Wi-Fi access I have to load the reader when I'm in the main part of town and make sure it never shuts off while I'm down at the hotel itself? Because if I screw up and forget to keep the PB charged so it shuts down I then lose access to my books until I can get back to a cell/Wi-Fi accessible area?

And you find this acceptable??? I call this a joke! Does no one here travel outside the mainstream/middle class first world at all?

Completely - and I mean, completely - unacceptable. I could give a cr@p what name is on it, but I want to love the PB because of the size, the screen and the multi-tasking. I even like the idea of the bridge. But this "cloud reader" as the only Kindle option is as half-baked as it comes.

- R.
    08-11-11 05:56 PM
    So I can't have my PB turned off and in the middle of a flight change my mind and start to read my books? It has to be on when I'm in the terminal so I can load the reader, and I have to leave it on at all times during my flight or I suddenly lose access to my library? I'm hooped if I don't have a full charge at boarding on a trans-Atlantic flight I guess!

And when I'm vacationing in my favourite little hotel in Tulum Mexico or the other on Cay Caulker in Belize neither of which have cell/Wi-Fi access I have to load the reader when I'm in the main part of town and make sure it never shuts off while I'm down at the hotel itself? Because if I screw up and forget to keep the PB charged so it shuts down I then lose access to my books until I can get back to a cell/Wi-Fi accessible area?

And you find this acceptable??? I call this a joke! Does no one here travel outside the mainstream/middle class first world at all?

Completely - and I mean, completely - unacceptable. I could give a cr@p what name is on it, but I want to love the PB because of the size, the screen and the multi-tasking. I even like the idea of the bridge. But this "cloud reader" as the only Kindle option is as half-baked as it comes.

- R.
    Ideal, no. Acceptable, yes. For me.

Yes you need a wifi connection to access the Kindle cloud reader. But if you've already pinned/downloaded the book (and left the Kindle cloud page open), you can hop on your plane, turn airplane mode on, and even put your PlayBook in standby mode if you wish. When you're ready to read your book, just do the bezel-to-bezel swipe and read away.
    08-11-11 08:47 PM
    Works great for me so far!!
    08-11-11 08:48 PM
    I used the Kindle for Android app from the Android Market today as well and it seemd to work like a charm.. FYI
    08-11-11 09:10 PM
    Ideal, no. Acceptable, yes. For me.

Yes you need a wifi connection to access the Kindle cloud reader. But if you've already pinned/downloaded the book (and left the Kindle cloud page open), you can hop on your plane, turn airplane mode on, and even put your PlayBook in standby mode if you wish. When you're ready to read your book, just do the bezel-to-bezel swipe and read away.
    I think the problem mentioned is you have to turn your pb OFF when you are onboard or taking off/landing. Airplane mode is once they say you can turn your device back on.
    08-11-11 10:39 PM

- R.
    I agree with you. It's unacceptable in my opinion. Kindle went with this approach to stop people from importing pirated ebooks they downloaded from a file sharing network into the Playbook. They are forcing people to read the books they purchased from the online library only. Clever of them actually.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 08-11-11 at 10:43 PM.
    08-11-11 10:40 PM
    When I go to read.amazon.com in my playbook browser in portrait mode I too get a blank page. There is a little padlock and "Cloud Reader" and "Private" below the URL window. Any ideas?
    08-11-11 10:54 PM
    Do you have PRIVATE BROWSING on in the browser options?
    08-12-11 12:32 AM
    So no sideloading? I read a lot of portuguese books not available for Kindle.
    08-12-11 06:21 AM
    The site keeps getting better, give it a bit of time.

08-12-11 06:34 AM

- R.
    These are some realistic usage scenarios where we are in trouble with the web based app as it exists. The airplane issue is the biggest because you are technically supposed to turn off your devices, not just put them in standby. You could cheat and put it in standby and no one would know or check but not everyone would be willing to do this.
    08-12-11 07:19 AM
    OK, I take back what I said earlier. Had my first proper opportunity to trial this Cloud Kindle and, to put it mildly, it stinks. Walk away from a solid Wifi and everything is hit and miss. Bridge Browser too does not give you that reliability of always there ACTUAL Kindle usage.

It shouts "Beta, cooked up in the kitchen in a college dorm".

Push comes to shove I'll either go back to carrying my actual Kindle or import the books I need to Kobo.

Sad it's come to this...
    08-12-11 12:35 PM
    My experience is, if you open your book in a window of the browser and leave the window open ( or minimized under PB multitask) the book stays there after there is no more wi-fi. Yesterday, opened The Greater Journey by David McCullough in the browser. Then went to my Dr's office where there is no wi-fi, and i was able to read almost a chapter during my wait.

when I got back to wifi- the book synced upward, and when I opened Kindle on my 7" Galaxy tab, the book sync'd to where I had left off on the PB.

To me it is fine, but missing highlighting, look up functions, notes, etc. Kobo on the PB has none of these as well. I think this cloud reader is a pretty good start ..
    Yeah, but you know you can't always guarantee things stay open. During the course of a morning or afternoon, maybe. But I'm trying apps, restarting, accidentally swiping away open apps I think I'm done with... So the danger of closing the Cloud Kindle is too big. Then being stuck somewhere for hours with no chance to carry on reading is infuriating. I might have to.... I don't know... pick up an actual book or something!

lol.

But seriously I need absolute certainty not "if everything goes well, this will work".

And I fear "this is a good start" might end up being "this is all you're getting!" I was holding out for a proper Kindle App. Looks like they decided we'll throw them this bone then concentrate on more important stuff.
    08-12-11 01:25 PM
    So you'll need a wifi connection to be able to access your books... and you can't side-load books you already have.

Nice.

The playbook is really turning into an expensive paper-weight.
    08-12-11 01:50 PM
    I'm sure you're right, and that it will get better. I like Amazon as a company and the way they work. It's just that having an actual Kindle, and being blown away but it's simplicity and usefulness, this seems a rather LARGE step backwards.

And my natural suspicion and mistrust of all things "cloud" doesn't help. I want my stuff physically with me/in my device.

So maybe I hang on in there with my actual Kindle and come back after a couple of iterations of this when you can download a book and for it to stay in RAM or whatever even if you close the browser and come back and pick up from where you left off. The more technical side of highlighting, notes etc. don't concern me overly.
    08-12-11 03:05 PM
    Seeing as Whisper sync is a big amazon deal don't you need a Internet connection any way. Also thought Kindle cloud had offline functions.
    08-12-11 03:58 PM
    Seeing as Whisper sync is a big amazon deal don't you need a Internet connection any way. Also thought Kindle cloud had offline functions.
    Whisper Sync either grabs books when you are CONNECTED by WIFI or 3G. It needs the internet UNLESS you want to sideload your books - then you can "download to computer FOR YOUR SPECIFIC KINDLE."

It does not appear that the cloud allows sideloading. If you lose wifi (or bridge), say when you have to turn off your device when takingoff/landing, then you have no book during the duration of the flight. The kindle itself and kindle-apps downloads the book and it is available offline.
    08-12-11 05:55 PM
    Any idea where Kindle books are saved on my pb when I download and pin them via Kindle Cloud Reader? Thanks
    11-26-11 07:13 AM
    I have tried, I have tried and I cannot find them!
    11-26-11 07:31 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD