Article on Berry Review:

Finally Kindle works on the Playbook:

Kindle on the PlayBook - Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader - BerryReview
    08-10-11 12:35 PM
    I haven't been able to get it to work on the playbook though. When i try to open a book all it shows is a blank page. Also when in landscape mode the graphics are not adjusted and are just stretched out and look blurry.
    08-10-11 12:50 PM
    It does a Browser check when you open. So unless you have a third party browser that can spoof it into thinking its chrome or safari based then you out of luck.
    thekapitu likes this.
    08-10-11 01:05 PM
    Works for me. i was just gonna post about cloud reader but saw i was already beat. from what i have seen you must have your pb in portrait mode for it to fully display a page. then you just swipe pages like you would in the kobo reader.
    08-10-11 01:12 PM
    It also works for me, but you need to have the browser open to the book you wish to read before turning off the wifi connection. Otherwise it won't load. You also have to download the book to the PB.
    08-10-11 01:18 PM
    It also works for me, but you need to have the browser open to the book you wish to read before turning off the wifi connection. Otherwise it won't load. You also have to download the book to the PB.
    How is it? I'm using it on my computer right now but it has too be different for a tablet.
    08-10-11 01:24 PM
    It works in portrait mode. It doesn't yet support creation of new highlighting or notes. It works offline, but only if you leave the browser on it when you go offline. If you close the browser, you can't get back into the Cloud Reader.

HOWEVER, it also works on the Bridge browser, albeit the book downloading is slow. But the point is, it works, so either way you can at least read Kindle books now on the PB, without using the leaded Android player.
    08-10-11 01:30 PM
    I believe the original Amazon Kindle Cloud press release stated that Playbook, Firefox and IE support was coming in the upcoming months. I wonder if this is the extent of Kindle support the playbook will get. This is a good first step but I want a full app (so I can sync stuff offline, I can clear browser cache and still read, etc.).
    08-10-11 01:40 PM
    I believe the original Amazon Kindle Cloud press release stated that Playbook, Firefox and IE support was coming in the upcoming months. I wonder if this is the extent of Kindle support the playbook will get. This is a good first step but I want a full app (so I can sync stuff offline, I can clear browser cache and still read, etc.).
    As I speculated in the other thread on this subject, in the Apps/Games section, my guess is that this is indeed the long-awaited Kindle app for the PB, when it's finally tweaked for the PB browser. If so, I don't mind too much, since it's possible to switch from regular browser to Bridge browser, if it's necessary to clear the regular browser cache. I hope they get highligting and annotation working soon, though.
    08-10-11 01:49 PM
    The cloud reader is working just fine for both my wife and I on our PlayBooks. We have to orient our PBs for portrait mode to read the books properly. Finally a way to read our Kindle library on our PBs. Way to go Amazon!
    08-10-11 03:02 PM
    The reader itself works just fine. The Kindle store does not work well but it does work. Also, as it stands, you need to have an internet connection at the time you open the app. After that you can read off line provided you download the book.

Many so-called apps will be like this in the future because companies do not want to pay a premium to Apple or RIM for everything they sell through their App Stores.
    08-10-11 03:52 PM
    Tried this just now, for the 2nd time...and seems to be working a little better. My library isn't squished anymore, and page display/advancing seems to work pretty well...I wonder if Amazon devs have been updating the app based on feedback today? (joys and wonder of a cloud-based apps...instant updates!)
    08-10-11 04:50 PM
    +1. That's how it's working for me! You do need a connection to get the reader going and the book downloaded to your PB. Then you can disconnect from wifi and read the book offline.
    08-10-11 06:25 PM
    The cloud reader is working just fine for both my wife and I on our PlayBooks. We have to orient our PBs for portrait mode to read the books properly. Finally a way to read our Kindle library on our PBs. Way to go Amazon!
    Yes, bit by bit it's getting there....
    08-10-11 06:27 PM
    I have to wonder if the lack of apps (including Kindle) is simply because developers are waiting for the android player. That maybe the case here...why develop for QNX/Air when we can simply wait and port over our existing android app.

If that is the case, RIM should have never talked about the android player and maybe there would be more apps right now...we will have to wait and see once the android player finally gets released.

In the interim, this cloud reader will have to do!
    hackerguy likes this.
    08-10-11 07:10 PM
    Many so-called apps will be like this in the future because companies do not want to pay a premium to Apple or RIM for everything they sell through their App Stores.
    FI've read on these boards that the reason Apple doesn't support Flash is because it wants to force users and developers into apps. But if that was the goal, why would they make it possible for Amazon or anyone else to bypass the App Store and just serve up a web app instead? So much for that theory.
    08-10-11 07:40 PM
    Whatever the reasons might be, its not there. Yet.
    08-10-11 08:24 PM
    Outstanding!
    08-11-11 02:14 AM
    At last! My PB is complete. From Day 1 I wanted this more than any other app.

But does it download the whole book for off-line reading or you need to be regularly connected to "top-up" like Kobo?
    08-11-11 04:50 AM
    FI've read on these boards that the reason Apple doesn't support Flash is because it wants to force users and developers into apps. But if that was the goal, why would they make it possible for Amazon or anyone else to bypass the App Store and just serve up a web app instead? So much for that theory.
    The iphone started out with just webapps so removing them at a later date would generate more of a response than simply choosing not to support something right from the outset.
    08-11-11 05:16 AM
    So much for that theory.
    Not at all.

It just means that some people are not as good chess players as they are reputed to be.
    z_scorpio_z likes this.
    08-11-11 05:51 AM
    They have to make it possible, because no one will buy a phone/tablet which does not browse websites. Unfortunately for Apple/Android/RIM people still expect browser to show websites.

If Apple knew before hand this would happen, perhaps they would have crippled their browser more...and not support html5 like flash.
    08-11-11 06:01 AM

But does it download the whole book for off-line reading or you need to be regularly connected to "top-up" like Kobo?
    Ditto.

Also i am YEARNING for one more thing... true sms bridge. After that i can say goodbye to the little, slow, low-res screens and only use the bb for phone calls.

Even that may end if they ever institute a hands free app that uses the playbook.
    08-11-11 06:07 AM

The whole book is downloaded. But you do need a wifi connection to get the cloud reader to load. Then you can disconnect and read the entire book "off-line".
    simsim likes this.
    08-11-11 07:36 AM
    You don't need wifi if you use the Bridge browser to open the reader. So if you have a BB you can use the reader pretty much like the Kindle 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 07:43 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD