My wife and 5 year old are heading to Florida and will be on a plane for 5 hours. I've been tasked with getting movies for my little girl to watch onto the PB and am looking for advice on converting some dvds to a format for the PB. Also how to add them to the unit. Also, are there any decent apps to buy shows/movies for kids that I can buy for the PB? I'm gonna be lonely with my 64g love lol! No wireless on the plane so need to have the shows on the device directly. Thanks!
    06-19-12 11:10 PM
    There are threads about converting get dvds

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-690361/

If you get a Dvd converter, they have preset formats and most should have for the Playbook. If not, I just use one for the iPad.
    06-20-12 12:00 AM
    You might look into Freemake Video converter to convert your own dvd for her. There are other similar dvd ripping programs. I think the video store might require an active internet connection???
    06-20-12 12:03 AM
    This what I do.. You'll need a dvd or bluray ripper. It's on the pricey side but I purchased Anydvd by slysoft which will rip my purchased dvds and bluray on the fly. Also, download handbrake which is freeware (google it). Here's my steps:

1) Enable Anydvd to remove copy protection
    2) Insert disc
    3) Run handbrake and select source
    4) Save container set to mp4
    5) Set the video to your playbook screen dimensions at 1024x600
    6) Set the audio to Stereo and audio format to aac
    7) Start the process

On my quad system it takes just over an hour to rip a bluray and the quality is sweet. The size of the video file is approx. 3gb. Lastly, just connect the pb to your pc and transfer the video file to the pb's video directory. It should play fine.
    06-20-12 06:49 AM
    My wife and 5 year old are heading to Florida and will be on a plane for 5 hours. I've been tasked with getting movies for my little girl to watch onto the PB and am looking for advice on converting some dvds to a format for the PB. Also how to add them to the unit. Also, are there any decent apps to buy shows/movies for kids that I can buy for the PB? I'm gonna be lonely with my 64g love lol! No wireless on the plane so need to have the shows on the device directly. Thanks!
    Hi there

I use AOA DVD Ripper and it converts DVDs perfectly to the PlayBook - recommend that you use the 'h264 mpeg4' settings as other formats (eg AVI) sometimes get the picture and audio slightly out of sync

A friend's 5 year old is regularly entertained by old children's films on the PB (I pick up the DVDs super cheap from a local charity shop and then rip them in the background whilst I am working)

[If you only want to show the movies on the PB, then you don't need a high resolution, but for HDMI to a TV, then I recommend full 1280x720 (or 1024x768 for old movies)
    Note: the higher the resolution, the longer it takes to rip, and the bigger the file size
    eg Robin Hood Cartoon (1024x768) is 1.4Gb and took about 3 hours to rip on a high end desktop - Muppet Treasure Island (low res) is 320k and only took 1hr20mins to rip]

Copying the movies onto the PB is simplicity itself, just drag the file from your PC into the movies directory on the PB - warning this is always incredibly slow for me over either wifi or USB (about 1Mb/s)

Have a great trip!
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-20-12 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo
    06-20-12 07:11 AM
    I think the video store might require an active internet connection???
    The BlackBerry video store only requires Internet for the download. Once the video is on the PB it can be played in the absence of a connection.
    06-20-12 09:09 AM
    The BlackBerry video store only requires Internet for the download. Once the video is on the PB it can be played in the absence of a connection.
    Good to know. I have not investigated the video store.
    06-20-12 09:28 AM
    Why not just download movies from bitTorrent sites? Seems a lot easier than converting movies. Use WiFi Explorer Pro to wirelessly file transfer from computer to PB and you're all set.

I put Cars, Cars 2, The Incredibles, Toy Story's, and many others on my PB for my kids (seeing's how their is still no Netflix available..)
    06-20-12 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD