I spent last weekend baby sitting three of my grandchildren, 16, 9 and
    5. The 16 year old was always at his girlfriends, but the two younger
    ones were around and loved playing with my Playbook. The have a Zoom and
    they kept calling it and my Playbook iPads. I explained that both were
    better than iPads and to start calling them by their real names.

My 5 year old granddaughter was asking me if she could play with the
    Playbook and said, "Can I play with the ... uhm ...Playbook? .......... Hey they
    got it right!"
    Knightcrawler and peter9477 like this.
    04-16-12 03:37 PM
    So cute! My 2 and a half year old granddaughter calls my PB "Nana's little computer".
    04-16-12 06:09 PM
    Hehe...same thing happens in the MP3 player world too. Time and time again all MP3 players are referred to as iPods. Microsoft, Sandisk, Cowon, iRiver...all make iPods...lol

Glad you are instructing your younglings properly.
    04-16-12 06:13 PM
    The other day at the supermarket, they were selling iPads... all models from all makers.

Me and my friends cracked at that...
    04-16-12 06:37 PM
    I spent last weekend baby sitting three of my grandchildren, 16, 9 and
    5. The 16 year old was always at his girlfriends, but the two younger
    ones were around and loved playing with my Playbook. The have a Zoom and
    they kept calling it and my Playbook iPads. I explained that both were
    better than iPads and to start calling them by their real names.

My 5 year old granddaughter was asking me if she could play with the
    Playbook and said, "Can I play with the ... uhm ...Playbook? .......... Hey they
    got it right!"
    You are that sensitive as to correct a five year old? The five year old, who has only partially developed cognitive skills, was actually showing more maturity. BTW, the moment you walked away, it became an iPad again. He/she is obeying you as an authority figure, not because you altered their still limited abilities regarding brand recognition....
    04-16-12 06:51 PM
    You are that sensitive as to correct a five year old? The five year old, who has only partially developed cognitive skills, was actually showing more maturity. BTW, the moment you walked away, it became an iPad again. He/she is obeying you as an authority figure, not because you altered their still limited abilities regarding brand recognition....
    Actually what the OP did shows concern and regard for the children. The early years are when a child most needs to learn correctly. They are like sponges soaking up information. And the correct information, no matter how insignificant, can make a huge difference in their later years. So I defend the OP and applaud them.
    04-16-12 07:10 PM
    One of my boys, the 5 year old, definitely knows the difference between the PB and the iPad. Whenever I leave my PB laying around the couch and he runs into it, he goes: yeaaah PlayBook!!
    Marty_LK, mikelcal and hpjrt like this.
    04-16-12 07:14 PM
    Actually what the OP did shows concern and regard for the children. The early years are when a child most needs to learn correctly. They are like sponges soaking up information. And the correct information, no matter how insignificant, can make a huge difference in their later years. So I defend the OP and applaud them.
    False, up until 7 any correction like that has zero positive benefit. Starting at 8 or 9 you can slowly start correcting, but up until then you're only stunting their development, not supporting it.
    04-16-12 07:19 PM
    False, up until 7 any correction like that has zero positive benefit. Starting at 8 or 9 you can slowly start correcting, but up until then you're only stunting their development, not supporting it.
    That's not true. Correct information is never wrong no matter the age. And the child clearly showed the capacity for learning when it paused and thought to reply correctly.
    kbz1960, hpjrt, maddie1128 and 6 others like this.
    04-16-12 07:24 PM
    Geeez.....lighten up guys.

Good stuff OP
    Marty_LK and diegonei like this.
    04-16-12 07:49 PM
    Some people take things faaaarrrrr too seriously.
    04-16-12 07:53 PM
    Forgot to mention that I support the OP too.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-16-12 07:55 PM
    WOW, you guys are sooooooo serious, lighten up. Actually children start learning at all different ages, some earlier or later than others. As long as they learn....geeeeez
    nazreil25 and peter9477 like this.
    04-16-12 08:00 PM
    Some of the advice being spewed in here (unsurprisingly from some who are quick to jump into almost any thread with the least positive vibe) seems likely not to have come from those who actually have kids. Or, if they do, I pity those poor children, to have parents with such a depressing outlook on the world.

As for me, my five-year-old readily accepts correction and learns on any number of things, and more often than not will cheerfully come back and correct my own usage if I make a mistake. Obviously "8 or 9" is not a universal age at which one may start instructing children. (Do you think maybe that what works for one person may not work for another? What a curious thought...)

Where's the emoticon for "shakes head in disbelief"?

Edit: Meant to add: OP, I loved the story. Thanks for sharing!
    04-16-12 08:09 PM
    Blackberry rules in the electronic world!!!
    04-16-12 08:22 PM
    LOL they learn the day you bring them home. I cry I get held. I cry I get held. Cute story OP.
    04-16-12 08:23 PM
    Geeez.....lighten up guys.

Good stuff OP
    Chuckle, don't worry, they're incapable of humour or even letting others enjoy themselves. I blame that on poor early childhood training

My wife is reported to have corrected her aunt who was telling her to look at the nice doggie �thats a Cocker Spaniel, Aunt Louise!" She was 4 1/2 at the time.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-16-12 11:00 PM
    Hay yeah that's funny.. My little cousin who is 5 years old has an ipad (well his parents do but it's a family device), and he's always on it apparently. When he comes to my place the first thing he says to me is always: "Angelo, il est our ton 'petit' ipad"? (where is your "little" ipad). Probably cause its a 7 incher, I find it cute nonetheless!

Then it's off to hunt for all the kiddy games i can find in a short period of time.. The first time I deleted them cause they were so much clutter, but now I just put em all in a folder with his name on it so he knows where to go next time he comes across it .
    04-16-12 11:01 PM
    My nephew, 4 and a half, loves my PlayBook ... but he always asks for my "playmobil"!
    04-17-12 01:32 AM
    what a relief! my 3 month old baby can continue smoking his blunt then.. nothing to worry about until 8 or 9 years from now...
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-17-12 02:04 AM
    Let us know when you pull that stick out of your arse.
    04-17-12 02:22 AM
    So what?
    CB is becoming FB. Save the world lord.
    04-17-12 02:32 AM
    DUDE.... what is your problem? Every post of yours is NEGATIVE, you have nothing nice to say about anything or anyone and always try to disparage every thread/post. You are a borderline troll with nothing positive to add to these boards!

Were you breast-fed as a baby?????
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 04-17-12 at 06:20 AM.
    04-17-12 06:17 AM
    this is very much an american habit i feel, tissues are kleenex, photocopiers xerox and of course search becomes google. Not having a go, just an observation.
    04-17-12 06:33 AM
    Great post and thx for sharing OP! and obviously you did the right thing!
    04-17-12 06:50 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD