No SMB client, and no AC3 support, that's fine I'll survive.

but no delete key on the keyboard? good grief!

I could make do with the backspace if there were some arrow keys so I can move the cursor behind the letters I want to backspace.

Using touch to move the cursor where it's needed is an infuriating affair.

Tell me, is designing an app to add arrows to the keyboard even a remote possibility? Or is the keyboard just one of those things that can't be changed with an app?
    01-01-12 04:28 PM
    Is that back arrow not a delete key?
    01-01-12 04:34 PM
    Do you mean backspace? That has a very different function than delete.
    01-01-12 04:49 PM
    The pre-release software has a helper on the cursor. Picture attached.
    It's would speculation to say what will be in the official version.

The back arrow has all the function I need so you will have to school me on the benifits of another button.
    01-01-12 05:21 PM
    I believe most other platforms don't have delete or arrow keys. I know there is a hack to have arrow keys on the Touchpad. But I am with you on the Tab/Next key.
    01-01-12 05:24 PM
    One help - swipe open pinch to enlarge typing area. Then touch where you want to go. Then, if necessary, swipe pinch to return zoom to normal.
    Works for me, but left arrow key would be nice.

Freedominput.com has add on wireless keyboards. Left, right, and down are offerred using "fn" And they do work.
    Zirak and rcm1301 like this.
    01-01-12 06:32 PM
    You are definitely not the first to gripe about the issue. Pinch/zoom does NOT work in email.

We hope it will get fixed in the OS2 when/if it comes next (oppps), this year.

I've wanted a swipe up from the right corner to open a cursor keypad. Left/right/up/down/pageup/down, home/end.....

And so far, no, the tools provided to programmers do not allow an over-arching keyboard program to be installed.
    01-01-12 06:52 PM
    Funny, the exact complaint is featured over on an iPad2 forum!

I agree that arrow keys would be nice and I rather like the idea of a swipe leading to such features. I have no idea what's involved with implementing such things for a virtual keyboard though.

So far, however, the lack of some keyboard have only been of minor inconvenience to me.
    Last edited by hpjrt; 01-01-12 at 07:52 PM.
    01-01-12 07:50 PM
    I have to say I miss the "forward delete" key myself, the existing backspace delete just seems awkward after using my PC keyboard.

The problem faced by all tablets which limits the addition of new keys is keeping all the keys "finger-sized" and I can see a way around that.

If the existing keyboard lost the globe key next to the spacebar (does anyone change languages on the fly, or at least often enough to require a dedicated key? ) and that were replaced with a "Fn" key... then when the Fn key was pressed, the keyboard would show arrow cursors, forward delete, tab, numeric keypad, etc in exactly the same way it now shows capital letters when shift is pressed.

Just an idea.
    FF22, cntrydncr223 and rcm1301 like this.
    01-02-12 04:41 AM
    Yeah we have a key to give us a seperate keyboard with numbers. If they can't find room for arrow keys and/or delete, then surely they can give us a key to open yet another keyboard with these important keys. (I agree the language key isn't needed on the main keyboard, but it could be on the extra keyboard)
    On the extra keyboard there could be arrows, delete, shift (for highlighting), home, end and also macro keys that could be user programmed with a host of things such as app shortcuts, custom text inserts etc.

It's too bad that the development kit doesn't let programmers make keyboard "apps".

Yes the zoom will make moving the cursor with your finger easier, but a few more keys could go a long way.
    01-02-12 12:10 PM
    i wish swiftkey x would make a playbook app.
    01-02-12 12:27 PM
    i have to agree fully.....for any editing these keys are a must especially since it is really tricky to impossible to place the cursor where you want it....i also find normal editing with cut and paste to be very poor. it only seems to work in select situations. it is very difficult to cut material from from a place and paste in a email. anyhow if there is a virtual keyboard out there with better features, please advise me. another thing as you can see here....why does it not auto capitalize after a period.....come on BB lets not reinvent years of things that are now considered standard.
    01-28-12 07:56 AM
    Yeah, the auto capitalize after a period missing, there is actually NO excuse for that. That's just plain poor.
    01-28-12 08:42 AM
    Using the trackpad on a blackberry phone to remotely navigate on the playbook is going to be a very nice feature when 2.0 gets here.
    yunvi and dugggggg like this.
    01-28-12 09:37 AM
    The PB's backspace/delete key simply needs to behave identically to the del key on all BB smart phones, that's all. Namely, do the "other thing" when the shift key is also pressed---and continue to work when the cursor is at the beginning of a field.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 01-28-12 at 10:10 AM.
    01-28-12 09:59 AM
    Auto-capitalization and SPACE SPACE PERIOD work somewhat inconsistently. Same with "cant" becoming "can't". It does not work in TEXT BOXES like the Crackberry reply box. It does work in email and in writing in other apps. Spell-check/correction also is inconsistent. In Word-to-go, a red underlined word can be tapped for a choice of corrections but that does not work in other apps or email.
    01-28-12 10:04 AM
    I just miss the <ctrl> key!
    01-28-12 11:35 AM
    the fooqn space bar is way to small, i hate NOT having extended keystrokes if you hold down the key longer.

my biggest gripe is i have to hit a button to pop up the 9 digit touchpad for any digits.

on android the top set of keyboard strokes has #'s 1-9 as a extended keystroke so all you have to do is hold it a split second longer then tapping it and it will give the option to select all the other keystrokes.

I also agree, keyboard needs arrow buttons so i can navigate and change cursor spots without touching the screen.
    01-28-12 01:36 PM
    I want to know why, when you touch and hold the ".com" key, loads of options are available, but not ".co.uk"

Disgraceful.
    01-28-12 03:09 PM
    Yeah, the auto capitalize after a period missing, there is actually NO excuse for that. That's just plain poor.
    This is fixed in 2.0 whether you use auto correct or not. It will be there soon.
    01-28-12 03:19 PM
    I want to know why, when you touch and hold the ".com" key, loads of options are available, but not ".co.uk"

Disgraceful.
    That would be cool if they did that for those that set thier language to UK.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-28-12 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD