(duplicate)
    03-24-11 07:29 AM
    Couple quick things...

a) I'm not sure why that particular unit in that video was turning on a bit too easily. That unit was the older build... I'm thinking just a glitch on it. I've never noticed that the PlayBook turns on when you don't want it to on any of my other hands-ons with it before. I wouldn't read too much into it. Wait till launch - hopefully a non issue.

b) which SDKs for which apps? Good question. No idea. My guess would be that RIM would use the native SDK for it... though maybe not. I'm not sure it really matters as long as it looks good and runs smooth? I'm loving me that calculator app though! lol
    03-24-11 08:58 AM
    Great videos and information coming from you Kevin.
    In fact your the reason I preordered one.

On the video, putting it in a pants pocket probably is not going help sell them

That's one weakness I found in the similar sized 7" Galaxy Tab,
    is seems small enough to put in pockets but it quickly becomes
    a lot bigger when its in your pocket.

Looking forward to more info, and videos.
    03-24-11 09:49 AM
    Couple quick things...

a) I'm not sure why that particular unit in that video was turning on a bit too easily. That unit was the older build... I'm thinking just a glitch on it. I've never noticed that the PlayBook turns on when you don't want it to on any of my other hands-ons with it before. I wouldn't read too much into it. Wait till launch - hopefully a non issue.

b) which SDKs for which apps? Good question. No idea. My guess would be that RIM would use the native SDK for it... though maybe not. I'm not sure it really matters as long as it looks good and runs smooth? I'm loving me that calculator app though! lol
    Thanks for the answers. Seems a bit strange for RIM to have a show and tell with public hands on and NOT have every single unit on the latest code. If they were worried about people poking around into different options/screens/apps, they could have just locked those out via security... or does the platform not have that kind of advanced control?

Surely a basic Parental Control type local security feature would let you pick and choose what you can and cannot open, even down to specific apps and such if more advanced policy based corporate security wasn't available as a capability yet. Am I wanting/expecting too much?
    03-24-11 09:51 AM
    Kevin, what's up with the PB turning the screen on every time you touch it? If it's turned off via the top switch that beyotch should stay off. Imagine having it turn on and do stuff as you're trying to put it in your pocket, just like it did to you.
    Why is it that when I saw your avatar before reading your post, I knew your post would be critical of something. You seriously complain about EVERYTHING. It's old!
    03-24-11 09:52 AM
    Why is it that when I saw your avatar before reading your post, I knew your post would be critical of something. You seriously complain about EVERYTHING. It's old!
    no no no , you have it all wrong..
    she's critical because she wants sooo badly for RIM to succeed!

03-24-11 09:54 AM

The first thing Kevin needs to make after he gets one is a video spoof. He needs to have a PB in his pocket and walk into a room with his girlfriend. Then the scene plays out as follows....

Girlfriend: Hey baby, is that a PB in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.
    Kevin: HAHA, hey babe, ya, it was delivered to the office today. Pretty sweet huh?
    Girlfriend: (Walks up to and gets close and personal with Kevin, touching his jeans up front.) Mmmmm, it's nice and big....
    Kevin: (Surprised look on his face and a bit excited and confused by the sudden turn-on.) Umm, ya... it's 7" inches.
    Girlfriend: (Slips hand in pocket and slides the PB out slowly.)
    Kevin: (Turned on and confused by all the attention... thinking he's going to get lucky.) Ya, you like that don't cha....?

(Scene fades out...)

(Scene fades in...)
    Girlfriend on one side of the bed laughing giggling, doing stuff on the PB and really enjoying the experience.

Kevin on the other side of the bed, all frustrated looking and wondering what just happened... he's lost her attention all of a sudden and he finally realizes he got dupped into losing his PB. In dissappointment, he looks down at the nightstand and finds her old beat up 8100. He picks it up and attempts to use it to hit CrackBerry..... the 8100 hourglasses and reboots with 501 Error on the screen. Kevin looks directly at camera and the scene fades out with the CB video voiceover "CrackBerry dot com!"

CrackBerry Kevin likes this.
    03-24-11 10:02 AM
    As for the unit turning on and off. Are you watching the PlayBook vs iPad 2 video? Are you actually watching it or just looking for things to ***** about?

If you are watching it closely, you will see that every time the unit turns on Kevin has his finger near the top buttons. He is most likely hitting them to turn the unit back on. Are you now going to complain that the lock button is also the unlock button?

At that point in the video above, his ring and middle finger are clearly right near the lock/unlock button and he could have VERY easily pressed it and the PB reacted the way it should.
    03-24-11 10:05 AM
    The first thing Kevin needs to make after he gets one is a video spoof. He needs to have a PB in his pocket and walk into a room with his girlfriend. Then the scene plays out as follows....

Girlfriend: Hey baby, is that a PB in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.
    Kevin: HAHA, hey babe, ya, it was delivered to the office today. Pretty sweet huh?
    Girlfriend: (Walks up to and gets close and personal with Kevin, touching his jeans up front.) Mmmmm, it's nice and big....
    Kevin: (Surprised look on his face and a bit excited and confused by the sudden turn-on.) Umm, ya... it's 7" inches.
    Girlfriend: (Slips hand in pocket and slides the PB out slowly.)
    Kevin: (Turned on and confused by all the attention... thinking he's going to get lucky.) Ya, you like that don't cha....?

(Scene fades out...)

(Scene fades in...)
    Girlfriend on one side of the bed laughing giggling, doing stuff on the PB and really enjoying the experience.

Kevin on the other side of the bed, all frustrated looking and wondering what just happened... he's lost her attention all of a sudden and he finally realizes he got dupped into losing his PB. In dissappointment, he looks down at the nightstand and finds her old beat up 8100. He picks it up and attempts to use it to hit CrackBerry..... the 8100 hourglasses and reboots with 501 Error on the screen. Kevin looks directly at camera and the scene fades out with the CB video voiceover "CrackBerry dot com!"

Way funny...that is so HOT! I'm with you, they need to do this!
    03-24-11 10:21 AM

Perfect size to fit in a purse though! All you guys will have to get cute little man bags or murses to carry your pb
    03-24-11 12:29 PM

b) Settings Menu - Had WAYYY more options on it now. When I first saw the PlayBook at CES there were literally six... now there's at least double that. New options I saw included Internet Tethering (i think that's what it was called if I remember right) along with File Sharing.

If there's anyone curious, here's all the options that were showing in the setting menu in order from the top:

*About
    *Date/Time
    *Software Update
    *Security
    *Bluetooth
    *Internet Tethering
    *Wi-Fi
    *File Sharing
    *HDMI
    *Language
    *Keyboard
    *Sounds
    Last edited by dsquared2; 03-24-11 at 01:25 PM.
    The_Engine likes this.
    03-24-11 01:23 PM
    Thread bump. There's stuff playbook people should read in this! :P
    03-25-11 07:38 AM
    Perfect size to fit in a purse though! All you guys will have to get cute little man bags or murses to carry your pb
    Never

10 char
    03-25-11 08:50 AM
    Im down, if anything i'll get girls coming over to compliment me on the bag...win win situation.
    03-25-11 10:55 AM
    Kevin, can you elaborate anymore on internet tethering?

Thanks!
    03-25-11 11:05 AM
    They wouldn't really elaborate on the Internet Tethering process at this demo or let me try seeing what was under that setting on the options screen. It was hard enough for me to get permission to show off the calculator apps, etc.

what we do know:

- it doesn't need to be a BB to tether (you need a BB for the bridge, but not for internet tethering)

- any additional tethering charges are up to your carrier, as per normal on this kind of situation

only a matter of time till we fully see this in action.
    dcgore, howarmat, bighap and 3 others like this.
    03-25-11 12:27 PM
    Hey Kevin,

Any news on the glass used on the screen? Whether it is gorilla glass or some other scratch-proof, or if it's just regular old touch it with your finger nail and you're left staring at a big old line everytime you use it glass?
    03-25-11 02:00 PM
    If you have a blackberry already, what would be the want/need for a native e mail and calendar on the playbook?
    03-25-11 04:42 PM
    Does anyone really not have an internet accessible email and calendar set up? Is this really a problem for people? I really don't understand why you need anything more than the browser. The damn thing multitasks. You can just leave the window open all the time. /issue
    03-25-11 04:56 PM
    Does anyone really not have an internet accessible email and calendar set up? Is this really a problem for people? I really don't understand why you need anything more than the browser. The damn thing multitasks. You can just leave the window open all the time. /issue
    It's more of a matter of convenience than anything, I'd think. The Facebook app is immensely popular on iOS (and I'd presume other devices as well), yet the mobile site is perfectly accessible. It just makes things easier to have a dedicated app tailored to your device. I definitely disagree that it's some sort of deal-breaker like some seem to believe, though, but to each his own.
    03-25-11 05:03 PM
    You don't get notifications nor is it convenient. An app design to use on a 7" screen is going to be better than pinch to zoom a web browser to do things that were designed with keyboard and mouse use in mind in stead of touch
    03-25-11 05:12 PM
    Thanks for the information Kevin....looking foward to April ???
    03-25-11 09:24 PM
    I agree that the playbook turning on was just Kevin hitting the top button as he was holding it.

But how can we explain the ipad going from lock screen to home screen without a swipe?!? Check the 1:00 mark of the video.
    03-26-11 07:36 PM
    I agree that the playbook turning on was just Kevin hitting the top button as he was holding it.

But how can we explain the ipad going from lock screen to home screen without a swipe?!? Check the 1:00 mark of the video.
    Yeah I saw that thought it was odd.
    03-26-11 07:41 PM

It's on top of one of those Smart Covers... maybe the magnets were screwing with the internals and tricked the iPad into turning on? That's my only guess...
    03-26-11 07:54 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD