Dear Kevin,

As a complete newcomer to your site please firstly accept my apologies. Perhaps I joined the site at a bad time but the few initial threads I read gave me the wrong impression completely. Members so called 'bashing' other members and just generally complaining about everything.

When the problems with your site started I wasn't too concerned but couldn't help being impressed by the way yourself and your team managed the situation to what may I say is a truly successful conclusion.

I am therefore making this plea from the heart. As you are obviously so in touch with your customer base and endowed with magic powers, is there any possibility that you could suggest politely of course to RIM that they also listen to there customer base.

Oh and also could you try your best to get them to restore the bridge functions between the Z10 and pb and if you have time, help them with bb10 for the pb.

Yours faithfully
    A new member hoping not to become a banished member when you read this.
    Thanks
    03-09-13 11:50 AM
    Dear Kevin,

As a complete newcomer to your site please firstly accept my apologies. Perhaps I joined the site at a bad time but the few initial threads I read gave me the wrong impression completely. Members so called 'bashing' other members and just generally complaining about everything.

When the problems with your site started I wasn't too concerned but couldn't help being impressed by the way yourself and your team managed the situation to what may I say is a truly successful conclusion.

I am therefore making this plea from the heart. As you are obviously so in touch with your customer base and endowed with magic powers, is there any possibility that you could suggest politely of course to RIM that they also listen to there customer base.

Oh and also could you try your best to get them to restore the bridge functions between the Z10 and pb and if you have time, help them with bb10 for the pb.

Yours faithfully
    A new member hoping not to become a banished member when you read this.
    Thanks
    Well you have my admiration sir! Nothing like starting at the top and working your way down!!!

I agree with you please entirely but I'm not sure if that's the ice I can hear cracking underneath you or another batch of my custard in the microwave indicating that there may be a problem.

By the way do you like brandy?
    03-09-13 12:04 PM
    Problems with CrackBerry? There are no problems here! CrackBerry is a thriving community... communities by definition have a little bit of conflict and disagreement mixed in with the passionate discussion. If you don't have that, you have a cult. That said, there is a fine line between healthy debate over issues and straight up **** wad trolling. I'm not a fan of trolls. If things get trolly, then we take out the troll trash. But if there's honest displeasure over a topic, and the poster keeps things in check while voicing it, then that's ok in my book.

As for your BlackBerry request.... there's no magic to be worked here Helli in terms of BlackBerry listening to their customer base. They are. Well, let me revise that. They are now. Take CrackBerry for example - there's no question that people at BlackBerry (product teams, etc) are definitely on top our site, our forums and our community... they're probably reading this post right now, seeing your requests! I really believe they are listening, and the discussion that happens here helps them prioritize their to do lists a little bit more. Looking at the conversations that are strongest and loudest is probably where they start.

Keep the faith. Welcome to CrackBerry. I expect you have 2,000 *quality* forum posts by May, so get on it!
    03-09-13 04:51 PM
    I did not know there was a bridge issue with the Z10 and the PB. That could be a deal breaker for me. I can live without performing the phone functions with the PB but I need the remote internet function. Maybe they'll fix this before the U.S. launch.
    03-09-13 05:55 PM
    I did not know there was a bridge issue with the Z10 and the PB. That could be a deal breaker for me. I can live without performing the phone functions with the PB but I need the remote internet function. Maybe they'll fix this before the U.S. launch.
    The remote Internet is still there, as is the ability to view Z10 files on the PlayBook, or to use the Z10 as a remote control for the PlayBook. Everything else is missing however.
    03-09-13 06:20 PM
    By everything else, what's missing are Messages (where you get the email that comes to the phone on the pb), Calendar, Contacts, MemoPad, BBM, TextMessages (and maybe Tasks - I don't use that).
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-09-13 08:19 PM
    The remote Internet is still there, as is the ability to view Z10 files on the PlayBook, or to use the Z10 as a remote control for the PlayBook. Everything else is missing however.
    I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but the way you've worded this makes it sound like the principal reason for Bridging was to use the PB as a remote control.

As F2 says, Bridge was simply awesome in combination with a BB phone... to the point where you could leave the actual phone in your pocket and do pretty much everything email/calendar/message related using the PB. And you can't do any of that now with a Z10 Bridge.

IMO, retaining the ability to use a Z10 as a Remote Control doesn't even come close to compensating for the loss of "everything else".
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    03-10-13 05:01 AM
    BB isn't going to do anything with Bridge in the near future. Better that they put as much effort as possible into getting BB10 launched on the PlayBook ASAP.

And just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, if a PB can still connect to the Internet over Bridge, and gets all the same e-mails through its native e-mail accounts, and has its own BBM client, wouldn't that be enough?
    03-10-13 05:47 AM
    BB isn't going to do anything with Bridge in the near future. Better that they put as much effort as possible into getting BB10 launched on the PlayBook ASAP.

And just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, if a PB can still connect to the Internet over Bridge, and gets all the same e-mails through its native e-mail accounts, and has its own BBM client, wouldn't that be enough?
    My apologies but I must agree fully with JeepBB on this subject. I get so frustrated now when I am happily working away on my pb and I receive a text message. Before I got the Z10 I simply switched to the messaging on my pb bridge access, read and responded to the text if required. Now I have a Z10 I have to stop what I'm doing, take my phone out, open the case, select text messages, deal with the message then put my phone away and start all over again with the pb.

Now I know that none of the above actions are impossible to perform but as I receive on average 10 to 15 messages per hour it really makes it a bind. Naively I did believe that upgrading my phone to the all singing all dancing Z10 would have enhanced all the facilities I already had and enjoyed, not reduced them.

I really do like the Z10 in concept but strangely enough I cannot find a sensible answer to my eldest sons question when he asks how come I upgraded to the latest bb phone and it doesn't work with your pb like your old one did?
    JeepBB, imz, Tattooed1 and 1 others like this.
    03-10-13 07:34 AM
    WTF.
    I am now just finding out on this thread that the Z10 will not have full functionality with my PB.

I read these threads daily and I can't believe I've missed this. I guess I've been drunk or hungover then for the past 5 weeks then eh?

Was gonna order the Z10 Monday through TMO now I'm reconsidering.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-10-13 08:35 AM
    When the PB gets OS 10 do you think the other features will come back? I also find the text and notification function very useful.
    03-10-13 08:48 AM

No its not enough, you can't add work accounts to your playbook.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-10-13 08:53 AM
    Mr. Kevin is, I believe, working to make his magic stronger and therefore like a fairy godmother, our wish will come true...

Let's give him until, later this year to work it out... is it fair?
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-10-13 09:48 AM
    WTF.
    I am now just finding out on this thread that the Z10 will not have full functionality with my PB.

I read these threads daily and I can't believe I've missed this. I guess I've been drunk or hungover then for the past 5 weeks then eh?

Was gonna order the Z10 Monday through TMO now I'm reconsidering.
    Well it has been said that I like a tipple or two but my god man, my hat goes off to you sir! A five week walkabout as I call it when I am discovering new forms of alcohol. Five weeks!

Anyway don't be too hasty in your decision making process. Have a few more drinks first and around about the eighth one consider this little gem then. " You will get a beautifully typed message when you connect your new Z10 to your pb telling you that it doesn't work anymore". It's worth upgrading to a Z10 just to sit and look at the message you get when you open your bridge folder. I make it a point to sit and look at it at least once a day, usually somewhere between brandy number 2 and brandy number 3. It makes me remember the good old days when things worked. You should try it sometime its very therapeutic.

P's the units used in this example need to be bottles and not glasses. Please make sure that you are securely fastened into your seat and that the ejector seat safety release pins are correctly inserted before trying this excersise at home!
    FF22, adi_vastava and JeepBB like this.
    03-10-13 09:59 AM
    Why do users keep making new screen names to complain? When I have a problem I like to. Just come right out and say it.

These 2 statements contradict each other...
    "I am a complete newcomer" and "when the problem started"
    03-10-13 10:15 AM
    Why do users keep making new screen names to complain? When I have a problem I like to. Just come right out and say it.

Now I definitely know it's not the brandy because I am cooking Blackpuddings at the moment and only just half way down the first bottle. Maybe when I've finished the Blackpuddings and the third bottle I may understand.

P's I'm a newbie too!
    03-10-13 10:24 AM

Maybe they're shy?

Actually, I don't know why they do it either though it seems to cut both ways. For every newbie post that complains, I've seen another that praises BB to the heights.

I ignore the "I haz Z10 and it's great/stinks (delete as appropriate)" one-liner posts. Why anyone would join a forum to just do that is beyond me.

As you've indicated many of the "newbie" posts that contain additional info are by that additional detail (obviously?) indicating that they're not newbies.

I'd guess the "anti's" are trying to avoid the likely flaming attack on their main avatar. While my personal suspicion is that some of the "pro's" are trying to add supporting weight to a position that may have been proposed by their main?

And then there's the "newbies" who show every sign of being BB-insiders. Posters who are unusually well-informed (one thread had discussion of putting things into the planning meetings IIRC), with a posting record that goes from near zero to near four-figures in the short while since the Z10 dropped, who are obviously "pro-BB" in everything they post (and often fairly belligerent in responding to the anti's). I don't think they are "newbies" either...

I guess it takes all sorts to make a forum tick.... or maybe it is just the brandy?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-10-13 11:32 AM

Not to appear to be ganging up but NO. I guess I don't want bbry thinking that most of us have accepted the reduction in Bridge functions as perfectly acceptable. As both Jeep and Sad indicated, bbry has removed some serious functionality from the pb/phone combo with their new phones. Concentrating on providing bb10 to the pb should NOT mean they reduce features - that is an absurb premise. Those features should be moved forward with the new phones and OS.

My phone sits upstairs and my pb is downstairs with me. I can look at my Memos. I can check my Calendar. I hear its 'chime' or see that neat RED CORNER and can read my email that came to my phone by a mere tap and/or swipe gesture. I don't have to set up duplicate accounts and I don't have to get duplicate emails. Same for the Calendar. Same for Memos.

Some of us were hoping that Password Keeper would be added (does z10 have that app at all?) and instead we've lost functions.

NO it is NOT acceptable - at least not to some of us.
    JeepBB and sad_old_man like this.
    03-10-13 11:35 AM
    When the PB gets OS 10 do you think the other features will come back? I also find the text and notification function very useful.
    Can only speculate but with the way rim/bbry responded to the initial criticism with their blog - NO. They made the feigned attempt to say Bridge and new phone were better without those Bridge features.
    03-10-13 11:37 AM
    Well it has been said that I like a tipple or two but my god man, my hat goes off to you sir! A five week walkabout as I call it when I am discovering new forms of alcohol. Five weeks!

Anyway don't be too hasty in your decision making process. Have a few more drinks first and around about the eighth one consider this little gem then. " You will get a beautifully typed message when you connect your new Z10 to your pb telling you that it doesn't work anymore". It's worth upgrading to a Z10 just to sit and look at the message you get when you open your bridge folder. I make it a point to sit and look at it at least once a day, usually somewhere between brandy number 2 and brandy number 3. It makes me remember the good old days when things worked. You should try it sometime its very therapeutic.

P's the units used in this example need to be bottles and not glasses. Please make sure that you are securely fastened into your seat and that the ejector seat safety release pins are correctly inserted before trying this excersise at home!
    That is a real hoot. Except that it is NOT!

Oh, and to add to the discussion, here's the main text from the Rim blog entry:

Introducing BlackBerry Bridge v3.0 for BlackBerry 10 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

"Following the launch of BlackBerry 10 last week, many of you have been asking about BlackBerry Bridge. I thought this would be a good opportunity to sharpen my pencil and write this post to introduce you to the new version of the app – BlackBerry Bridge v3.0 – created especially for the BlackBerry 10 platform.

To just call the past year exciting would be an understatement. There are no words to describe what it is like to create a new mobile computing platform from the ground up; to watch everyone rally together; and to see a completely new and fresh experience take shape right before your eyes. One of the most rewarding elements of this process is the ability to do things differently and add new capabilities that were previously add-ons directly into the platform! As the product manager for BlackBerry Bridge, I’m super excited because this means we can create a whole new experience between BlackBerry 10 devices.

When we set out to create the BlackBerry Bridge experience for BlackBerry 10, we focused on the following features:

Sharing the smartphone’s Internet and intranet (the latter for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10-activated BlackBerry 10 smartphones) connection with BlackBerry PlayBook

Using the BlackBerry 10 smartphone to Remote Control the BlackBerry PlayBook (if you haven’t yet, try it with your tablet connected to a TV via HDMI!)"

Someone is both blind and deaf but really likes their sow ear purse!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-10-13 11:43 AM
    Maybe they're shy?

Actually, I don't know why they do it either though it seems to cut both ways. For every newbie post that complains, I've seen another that praises BB to the heights.

I ignore the "I haz Z10 and it's great/stinks (delete as appropriate)" one-liner posts. Why anyone would join a forum to just do that is beyond me.

As you've indicated many of the "newbie" posts that contain additional info are by that additional detail (obviously?) indicating that they're not newbies.

I'd guess the "anti's" are trying to avoid the likely flaming attack on their main avatar. While my personal suspicion is that some of the "pro's" are trying to add supporting weight to a position that may have been proposed by their main?

And then there's the "newbies" who show every sign of being BB-insiders. Posters who are unusually well-informed (one thread had discussion of putting things into the planning meetings IIRC), with a posting record that goes from near zero to near four-figures in the short while since the Z10 dropped, who are obviously "pro-BB" in everything they post (and often fairly belligerent in responding to the anti's). I don't think they are "newbies" either...

I guess it takes all sorts to make a forum tick.... or maybe it is just the brandy?
    You have a point... Maybe they are shy or just nervous about getting flamed, but I still think its lame

Now when someone has a side account to post inside info, that I can understand, because clearly they could get in trouble, but doing it to complain is just weak.

I guess in a perfect world all users would just be honest about their thoughts and wouldn't hype a product just for the sake of defending it, or hate on a product just because they can, or enjoy the folowing squabble, or whatever the case may be
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-10-13 11:44 AM
    You have a point... Maybe they are shy or just nervous about getting flamed, but I still think its lame

Now when someone has a side account to post inside info, that I can understand, because clearly they could get in trouble, but doing it to complain is just weak.

I guess in a perfect world all users would just be honest about their thoughts and wouldn't hype a product just for the sake of defending it, or hate on a product just because they can, or enjoy the folowing squabble, or whatever the case may be
    Try to rise above these petty distractions, Grasshopper!

(Depending on your age, the above may mean absolutely nothing to you!)

I actually agree with you, but... it's far from a perfect world. Possibly there's not enough brandy to go around?

As to the bolded bit above. I'm fine with BB-insiders passing on their greater knowledge and I applaud their good intentions. I'm a little troubled by some of their other posts though where they are simply acting as BB attack dogs and rubbishing a previous poster who has raised (in many cases) a genuine issue on Z10. I've come close to reporting posts on a few occasions now.
    SlcCorrado and sad_old_man like this.
    03-10-13 12:02 PM
    Some of us were hoping that Password Keeper would be added (does z10 have that app at all?) and instead we've lost functions.

NO it is NOT acceptable - at least not to some of us.
    Interesting you should mention password Keeper. I have been used to this feature in all my phones until the Torch 9860. However it was downloadable so I continued to use it. The pb doesn't have one either so I downloaded one from BB world. Remember these words, it's as secure as a wet nappy!.

Enter the Z10 into my life and to answer your question F2 no the Z10 doesn't not have password protector. However bb world has one you can download which I did do. I was out at the time and when it first loads up you are asked if you want to install previous password saved. Now naively I thought the passwords would be stored on the device and secure, however because I had my old Torch with me I selected 'Yes' to install them thinking it would transfer them across from my Torch. Whilst looking at the nice screen informing me that my passwords were being transferred I remembered that my Torch was in fact powered off fully. I tried to abort it but it refused to respond.

Now just imagine my surprise when it not only completed the download and displayed my full information, it displayed every password I had ever saved on any bb device I've owned. Some accounts I had even forgotten about myself but they were all there on display, even the ones on my pb that I did have switched on but as we all know the connection between the pb and the Z10 is exactly the same as connecting my wife's SIII or my son's iphone5 but they were all there on display.

Now I wonder how secure the BB really is?
    03-10-13 02:19 PM
    Sad....

Would you care to share the name of the all-powerful-oz, I mean password app? Did you install the same one on the pb and on the new z10? Did you ahem "secure" this data in THE CLOUD (provide your own basso profondo voice)?
    03-10-13 03:18 PM
    Password Keeper does exist for the Z10, it is downloadable from BlackBerry World. My password DB as well as other data transferred fine from my 9900 using the device switch and Micro SD card. Password Keeper imported all my passwords but required me to enter not only a new password but also the Password used on the source. Are you sure you are talking about the same app and database?

As far as Bridge 3.0 goes, I could not fathom at this point after using my Z10 delaying the upgrade from my 9900 to the Z10 just because of the loss of some "minor" functionally as was in Bridge 2 when the Z10 is so superior over all. Even if i had bridged email/texting on the PB I would never use it because the Hub is so much more easy and powerful to use. I can also set up all my accounts fine on both devices, even my work Exchange account. The difference though is that I get BB Balance on my PB but not on the Z10 because we don't have BES installed yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 03:18 PM
29 12