02-11-12 12:22 PM
96 1234
tools
    It is simple, I would expect CB to be a cheer leader more than anything else.
    So you would expect a bias fanboy type review that completely disregards anything negative about the device and makes excuses?

Honesty is valued more than fanboism. I find it disturbing that you would expect him to fabricate his experience and mislead people. Saying "the PlayBook is great" after each sentence would be a little ridiculous. People make fun of Apple fanboy reviews all the time, and this is exactly what you wanted him to do?

Being the leader of a BB fan site and still having the ability to post positive and negatives about a device made by RIM is highly valued for those who actually want to know the reality of things, and want an honest opinion. Lying makes you lose credibility.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-16-11 at 12:58 PM.
    04-16-11 12:55 PM
    Now I'm just waiting for someone to complain about the BB logo on the back of the PB and I've seen it all....
    04-16-11 01:08 PM
    The point of a review is to review. You seem like someone who cries when someone tells you that you could do Y a little better by doing X.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 01:12 PM
    kevin did an honest and unbiased review -- something more than rare to find on a site that is about the damn company! that shows a lot of character. just because he didn't say what you wanted to hear doesn't mean he was bashing on the device. that's an utterly ridiculous claim.

he was honest and that is by far the one thing i look for. amazing job kevin -- haven't seen one review yet that can match yours (with the exception of anandtech -- u guys are both great).

keep up the great format of your reviews i can tell you put a lot of work into it. don't let people sway the way you feel -- its YOUR review and its about what YOU thought about it.
    04-16-11 01:32 PM
    Ok, Guilty, I have lot of issues with those reviews thinking that Blackberry could have dismissed them since the beginning.
    I know Kevin has to be neutral.

But how do you explain this:

Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

I know someone posted it before. If that were Kevin, we would though it was made from a fanboy perspective.
    Kevin did a complete review, not just a short story on a few points with a full review to follow.

Think he did a good job and tried to be balanced. And to be honest he was much easier on RIM than most of the reviewers.

If you want to blame someone it would be the people with titles over at RIM that

04-16-11 01:45 PM
    IMHO, The biggest problem with the reviews are the readers. Every review also gave the PB praise in various areas well, but a majority of the readers tend to gloss over the positives and focus on the negatives and work themselves into a frenzy.

I've read several of the reviews (lost count how many) and I don't think any of them summarized in saying the PB is a poor device. And after reading them, my main issue is the form factor since I'm potentially looking at a device with a larger screen. As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm holding out in the event there's eventually a 10" version, as that will also allow time for it to mature to address the core clients issue. That's it... 2 items of note for me after the reviews. I've also been following other brands/manufactuers reviews as well, and in each case, they too have a couple items of concern as well.

I personally think the real problem is that too many people are mistaking a lack of stellar praise as a kick in the jewels.
    howarmat, slbailey1 and scorpiodsu like this.
    04-16-11 02:10 PM
    Noone cares, I hope this was helpful

04-16-11 02:14 PM
    First let me say "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Why do people care so much about what other people think when it comes to buying or not buying?

How many of you base your movie watching on what movie critics have to say? I may be wrong but wasn't Slumdog Millionaire given a lot of thumbs up? It won some Ocars to right? I haven't seen it! On the flipside didn't Hancock get bad reviews? I saw it 2 times. Book of Eli, middle of the road reviews, I own it! The point I am making is ALL reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, a spoon full of sugar, or a shot of whatever.

The Iphone/Ipad, Android OS/Honeycomb are pretty good in their own respects....they aren't for me though. I am a Rim loyalist until they stop making Blackberry's. I am excited about the PB and I will buy one (if I don't win one FIRST). Kevin's review, ZDNet's, CNet's, or **** Chenney's only offer insights, nothing more.

If I am going to run on an infield fly, that is my decision no one else's.
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 04-16-11 at 02:28 PM.
    04-16-11 02:24 PM
    Let's face it... Kevin pooched it with the baseball metaphors.
    Really, what does a kid from Winnipeg know about baseball anyway?
    He would have been much better off going with a football metaphor which would work better with the "Playbook" reference.
    He could have said something like "RIM has the ball and are moving it steadily down field. They are not over the goal line yet, but should have a touchdown shortly after release with a few more OS updates."
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 04-16-11 at 03:17 PM.
    04-16-11 02:26 PM
    He would have been much better off going with a football metaphor which would work better with the "Playbook" reference.
    He could have said something like "RIM has the ball and are making and are moving it steadily down field. They are not over the goal line yet, but should have a touchdown shortly after release with a few more OS updates."
    Kevin's language skills are too great for him to have written what I bolded.
    Machzy likes this.
    04-16-11 02:28 PM
    Kevin's language skills are too great for him to have written what I bolded.
    LOL, Dave.
    1812dave and Machzy like this.
    04-16-11 02:50 PM
    I grew up in Winnipeg...I'd be happy to take you on in baseball knowledge.
    04-16-11 02:55 PM
    What? There are people in third world countries that know more about baseball then many people who live in the US. Since when does living in a certain area discredit your knowledge about a sport? The internet works wonders.
    04-16-11 03:06 PM
    So you don't think "trying something to see if it works for you" is good advice?

Ponderous...
    diegonei likes this.
    04-16-11 03:09 PM
    I grew up in Winnipeg...I'd be happy to take you on in baseball knowledge.
    I said that because I grew up in Winnipeg too.
    We have a professional (CFL) football team in the Blue Bombers. The Goldeyes, while entertaining, are not a Major League baseball team.

I'm still praying for miracle and Jim can buy the Phoenix Coyotes and bring the former Winnipeg Jets back to Canada.
    04-16-11 03:16 PM
    What? There are people in third world countries that know more about baseball then many people who live in the US. Since when does living in a certain area discredit your knowledge about a sport? The internet works wonders.
    Holy ****, I should have used more smileys.
    I didn't intend on insulting any third world countries.
    Kevin could be a baseball savant for all I know, I just don't think the metaphor he used translated well in the review.
    04-16-11 03:20 PM
    Sounds like the review of the first Storm to me!
    chasvs likes this.
    04-16-11 03:31 PM
    Sounds like the review of the first Storm to me!
    No it doesn't, but then you weren't serious anyway.
    04-16-11 04:17 PM

I did my own research and I CONVINCED ME BACK to buy a playbook.

If you have researched as stated, the review from Kevin should not be the deciding factor on whether or not you spend your money to buy the PB. Just sayin'..
    04-16-11 04:18 PM
    Obviously Kevin should have gone with a curling metaphor instead. Is the PlayBook a draw to the button for the win? No. But it's a nice guard that the skip can raise on his second shot, once the native email and calendar apps are available. Something like that.

04-16-11 05:15 PM
    I think Kevin's review of the pre-release units provided for review was spot on. He was fair and honest and didn't sell out as BlackBerry fan boy, which I appreciated.

In contrast to 'the review', I just watched his video on the Bridge/Tether feature. I am positively giddy right now and can not wait till Tuesday. His excitement about this tablet is apparent during the bridge demo, yet he's still not 'fan boy'ish about it.
    04-16-11 06:17 PM
    i agree, the newest video about the bridge is positive, i still cant believe its not fully functunal but i guess it will be at launch
    04-16-11 06:21 PM
    really morpho4444 ... really?
    I thought Kevin's review was awesome. It seemed as though it was written honestly and pretty unbiased. The same goes for the podcast review. A line drive double is pretty damn good for RIM's first tablet, especially when it's not even complete yet.
    Can't hit a home run until all the native apps are in place... because then what would it be once they're there?

as for
    or why no body talks about that 6 out of 9 models of BB Playbook will have native email out of the gate?
    (4g 16,32,64)
    (3g 16,32,64)
    that was probably because that's not the version he was given to review? Keep in mind he was doing a review of what he had, not a commercial for what he didn't have. I would imagine there will be a new review once those versions are released.
    04-16-11 07:06 PM
    I read a lot of reviews. Which of the professional, full reviews had a better conclusion? Who was out there giving a full-throated recommendation to not walk, but run to the nearest line for the PlayBook and stand in it?

The reviews ranged from "Check it out first before you buy!" to, "I can't see any point in buying this over the competition!" Where were the unreserved recommendations to buy that I clearly missed?

The best thing about all the Smartphone Experts sites is their integrity in the face of adversity. They keep their feet planted firmly in reality regardless of what platform they champion. It would greatly benefit their readers to do the same.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-16-11 08:23 PM
    Hey All,

Wow... I'm honored you all care so much about what I write and say, whether you agree with it or otherwise. I think all in all the review has been pretty well received. That said, I do agree with some of the criticism on this thread - if I had more time there are things I may have worded differently and gone into more (and in some cases less) detail on. Only having a few days with a brand new device on a brand new platform is tough... you just want to keep playing with it to really understand how it performs in normal day use settings, but at the same time you have to start writing and getting your work done (13,000 words and 15 videos takes TIME... doesn't happen on it's own) so the time on the device is a little more like putting it under a microscope.

I really just tried to write a completely honest review. I knew when I was hitting the publish button on it that some people might not like it, such as the OP on this thread, but I also think a fanboy review that glossed over the current drawbacks wouldn't have been a service to anyone. Trust me, I'd love to see everybody run out and buy a PlayBook on day one. But I want people who buy one to LOVE it. Not buy it and get it and then be surprised about things they didn't realize were the case and then complain about it. So I went for a review approach that put it all out there - lots of details - so people could educate themselves. Looking at the comments to the review, I think I achieved that goal. Lots of people were MORE positive on the PlayBook after reading it (the ones who already knew the shortcomings in advance but saw all the other awesomeness via the videos and got even more excited, etc.). And others decided maybe they'll wait to play with it before buying it, and that's not a bad thing. I think RIM would benefit right now from having a few less customers who were HAPPY with their PlayBook, then having a few more people who bought it and decided it wasn't for them.

I think the big difference between my review and other reviews, typically, is that when I do mention the negatives, I actually try and give the back story as to why things are the way they are. And if you do read every word I wrote, and every video published, I think the overall takeaway is actually quite positive on the PlayBook and RIM. But I could see how if somebody who just "skimmed" over the review and only read the intro and conclusion/summary could see it as being more negative. I'll keep that in mind for my next review to make sure it's friendly for the person who skims vs. reads (and I'll try and make it shorter... and maybe skip the analogies.. lol).

NOW... What I'm really curious to see... is what you all will think of the review I'm going to post on Monday.... TEN Days Later... A Quick Re-Review of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

I think the OP will like it... I'll keep you all in suspense to then though.
    avt123, andyahs, howarmat and 11 others like this.
    04-16-11 08:32 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD