02-11-12 12:22 PM
96 123 ...
tools
    So did the BlackBerry PlayBook hit the ball straight out of the park? Not quite. To me it's looking more like a line drive and an easy run in to second base

C'mon Kevin, you fell into the same game every Blackberry hater reviewer fell, pointing out the negatives instead of the BIG positives BB playbook has..

Is the blackberry bridge a second base hit?
    being able to browse internet through it without tethering?
    Do not come with "you cannot do that with bb bridge as Berryreview's Ronen proved the opposite.
    There is gonna be an email client, off course 3g and 4g will be able to connect to BIS and BES stand alone, but you wouldnt expect RIM to let a "wifi" connection to enter into their BIS systems!... that is crazy!, security matters!
    RIM have never done an email client, it uses a client that works in sync with BIS, that is different. That is an oustanding service you wouldnt expect to have it in "any" wifi client...

Berryreview has done a big effort trying to point out the big advantages Playbook has and you, just said how "good" it is, but not how big it is...
    Is a big difference,
    why no body talks about how Playbook will be able to receive internet from ANY device?...
    or why no body talks about that 6 out of 9 models of BB Playbook will have native email out of the gate?
    (4g 16,32,64)
    (3g 16,32,64)

I read all you're review but I say this: YOU LET BB PLAYBOOK TO DIE ALONE!

Even BGR said it had the best flash performance in a mobile device, not to mention the best sound. Just because you receive a crappy review version does not mean it will be the end version.
    Remember:
    Even the power button will be different...

When you ask a honeycomb fan.. how many apps your tablet has? they say..
    "I dont know.. the whole Android marketplace I guess?"

People do not realize that combining a BB playbook and a BB 2011 smartphone will make the most powerful mobile computing in 2011. There is not other rival to both devices together. And the keyword here is Mobile, cause even the lightwave ipad2 is so big for me to carry everywhere.

Thanks but you convinced me NOT TO BUY a playbook... but you know why... I did my own research and I CONVINCED ME BACK to buy a playbook.
    Thanks RIM, you just slide to home base... Kevin still sees you on second...

Actual iPad / iPhone 4 owner
    Future Blackberry playbook + Bold Torch 2 owner
    04-16-11 09:02 AM
    meh....

+10char
    04-16-11 09:12 AM
    He was pointing out that the software was still buggy, but said he was expecting it to be pretty much perfect after a month or so in the wild. At least that's what I understood. With buggy software the PlayBook is second base, with bug-less software the PlayBook is a home run.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 09:38 AM
    lol, I think part of the problem here could be a lack of appreciation for Baseball metaphors. A line drive double is not too far short of a home run. It's essentially saying the Playbook is not perfect "the God device" but it's pretty dam good and has the potential to become the God device. l think the OPs problem is, in part, "Lost in Translation" blackberry style
    04-16-11 09:41 AM
    If he had done all the positives and fully praised the device, people would discount his review for being a fanboy and the founder of Crackberry...
    He did a good job of saying what he felt and he goes further into in the podcast which really helps you understand why he said the things he did.
    1812dave and pantlesspenguin like this.
    04-16-11 09:54 AM
    If he had done all the positives and fully praised the device, people would discount his review for being a fanboy and the founder of Crackberry...
    He did a good job of saying what he felt and he goes further into in the podcast which really helps you understand why he said the things he did.
    Exactly but at the same time I think he did the opposite on purpose, cause he saw all bad reviews and he had that predisposed in order to sound "neutral"... Thank you Kevin but I disagree the "go to the store, check if it is for you" stuff.. I think I'll go straight to the playbook, grab it and buy it.. without hesitation.. You'r attempt on convince me not to buy it has failed.
    04-16-11 10:18 AM
    Kevin prolly should have been more specific and saying it was a double off the top of the Green Monster in fenway . Oh so close to a homer but will a few tweaks to the swing and the next at bat will get over. Can't wait till Tuesday

chiefbroski likes this.
    04-16-11 10:26 AM
    CrackBerry Kevin had the best review of the PlayBook. For the founder of CrackBerry is was remarkably unbiased. The PlayBook is not a perfect device, but it will get there due to it's powerful QNX OS.

It was a fair review.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-16-11 10:29 AM
    Exactly but at the same time I think he did the opposite on purpose, cause he saw all bad reviews and he had that predisposed in order to sound "neutral"... Thank you Kevin but I disagree the "go to the store, check if it is for you" stuff.. I think I'll go straight to the playbook, grab it and buy it.. without hesitation.. You'r attempt on convince me not to buy it has failed.
    lmao, he saw all the bad reviews? where? not one site had a review up before 9 pm that night. they were told not to by rim. I am sure kevin put well over 20 actual man hours in for that review not included times he was just using the device and not thinking about the review. He didnt base his review off anyone else. He gave a completely honest and unbiased review.

Face it. the current product is what it is. Every single site mentioned its downfalls. The device needs work to be "professional grade." Give this another month and many of the opinions would probably change, but RIM gave the reviewers what they had. I applaud kevin for perhaps the longest most in depth review i have seen him do. if RIM wants glowing reviews then they have work to do, plain and simple. The product has potential and i didnt see any legit review that didnt really come to that conclusion.
    04-16-11 10:33 AM
    A review is never balanced anymore. It's either all Negatives or Positives. We've created a population that can only take one side of any issue, and it shows on how we look at the world. The PB will be an excellent product and do very well in it's market space regardless of what the Reviewers have to say. I like the issue of ONLY 3000 apps at launch. Just how many friggin apps do you use anyway? MOST people use the core Web Browser and not much more than games. So what if there are 250,000 apple apps? There are only a dozen or so Categories of apps, and 20,000 of each category... and most suck. Leave the reviewers to their perspective and get one for yourself and decide if it works for YOU!

I enjoyed Kevin's videos and learned a lot about the functionality of the PB. Even with the "limitations" the PB is JUST what i'm looking for!
    Last edited by chasvs; 04-16-11 at 10:47 AM.
    c0rinne likes this.
    04-16-11 10:45 AM
    lmao, he saw all the bad reviews? where? not one site had a review up before 9 pm that night. they were told not to by rim. I am sure kevin put well over 20 actual man hours in for that review not included times he was just using the device and not thinking about the review. He didnt base his review off anyone else. He gave a completely honest and unbiased review.

Face it. the current product is what it is. Every single site mentioned its downfalls. The device needs work to be "professional grade." Give this another month and many of the opinions would probably change, but RIM gave the reviewers what they had. I applaud kevin for perhaps the longest most in depth review i have seen him do. if RIM wants glowing reviews then they have work to do, plain and simple. The product has potential and i didnt see any legit review that didnt really come to that conclusion.

Ok, But Joshua Topolsky along with Engadget's own review and other's claim that they cannot recomend the playbook over any other tablet... That is just silly!
    What about Kevin?

•Head to the store come April 19th and try a BlackBerry PlayBook out for yourself.
    If you like the size of the device and feel of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, it may be the tablet for you, especially if you own a BlackBerry, to take advantage of the Bridge functionality.
    Just keep in mind it's a new device on a new platform, which means it's missing some things at launch

Translation, go to the store, play with it, and walk away and comeback in a month or so, cause you are not gonna like it. specially if you don't own a Blackberry smartphone.
    04-16-11 10:45 AM
    Ok, But Joshua Topolsky along with Engadget's own review and other's claim that they cannot recomend the playbook over any other tablet... That is just silly!
    What about Kevin?

•Head to the store come April 19th and try a BlackBerry PlayBook out for yourself.
    If you like the size of the device and feel of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, it may be the tablet for you, especially if you own a BlackBerry, to take advantage of the Bridge functionality.
    Just keep in mind it's a new device on a new platform, which means it's missing some things at launch

Translation, go to the store, play with it, and walk away and comeback in a month or so, cause you are not gonna like it. specially if you don't own a Blackberry smartphone
    i didnt read them all like that...i read them as if you dont already on a BB phone THEN they dont recommend the tablet. Sure some might have said if you need a good tab asap, then go elsewhere but i think most legit reviews really liked its potential and that if you can wait a month to see what RIM fixes then wait.

And whats wrong with doing just that in the last line. I assure you that more customers will enjoy the product more if they did just that, gave it some time
    04-16-11 10:52 AM
    I think you have issues with hearing the truth. Kevin was truthful and you didn't like that. You wanted to hear only positive things. oh well!

Kevin has integrity!
    04-16-11 10:54 AM
    Solely for the LOLZ
    04-16-11 10:55 AM
    @morpho4444, I couldn't agree more with you, I was disappointed with Kevin's review more than anyone else's because I knew what others are going to say about it. The problem with Kevin's review seemed he was too much iPadified and the review was too long and boring at sometimes nagging about things that are unnecessary(7" format and 600 pixel and it is fairly subjective) and most of the times I see the tone of the review in dual perspective saying it is pretty awesome but kind of things. The worst of all seemed his conclusion. Also IMO he failed to highlight what RIM had done and nothing but spectacular and next to impossible i.e rolling out a new OS/Platform, a new device, dev tools within 10-12 months of its initiation. It is simple, I would expect CB to be a cheer leader more than anything else.
    04-16-11 11:04 AM
    @morpho4444, I couldn't agree more with you, I was disappointed with Kevin's review more than anyone else's because I knew what others are going to say about it. The problem with Kevin's review seemed he was too much iPadified and the review was too long and boring at sometimes nagging about things that are unnecessary(7" format and 600 pixel and it is fairly subjective) and most of the times I see the tone of the review in dual perspective saying it is pretty awesome but kind of things. The worst of all seemed his conclusion. Also IMO he failed to highlight what RIM had done and nothing but spectacular and next to impossible i.e rolling out a new OS/Platform, a new device, dev tools within 10-12 months of its initiation. It is simple, I would expect CB to be a cheer leader more than anything else.
    ah, so you want him to lie? good grief, what is wrong with you people that don't want to hear the full story on a product??
    04-16-11 11:08 AM
    I think you have issues with hearing the truth. Kevin was truthful and you didn't like that. You wanted to hear only positive things. oh well!

Kevin has integrity!
    Ok, Guilty, I have lot of issues with those reviews thinking that Blackberry could have dismissed them since the beginning.
    I know Kevin has to be neutral.

But how do you explain this:

Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

I know someone posted it before. If that were Kevin, we would though it was made from a fanboy perspective.
    04-16-11 11:09 AM
    I would expect CB to be a cheer leader more than anything else.
    At least the mods, eh?
    04-16-11 11:10 AM
    Ok, Guilty, I have lot of issues with those reviews thinking that Blackberry could have dismissed them since the beginning.
    I know Kevin has to be neutral.

But how do you explain this:

Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

I know someone posted it before. If that were Kevin, we would though it was made from a fanboy perspective.
    Let me repeat myself--Kevin has integrity (plus, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose credibility) so he gave a very honest and comprehensive review. Just because you didn't like some of the content of his review, I can't agree with you complaining about it as if he did something wrong.
    04-16-11 11:11 AM
    How about we be disappointed with RIM for putting out a sh** os version to reviewers and not polishing the device more? I say all the reviews are spot on, the device is flawed and it is RIM's fault. I still want one, but might wait a week or two to see how the release code is and such. RIM is failing on this, reviewers are being honest and telling it how it is; why RIM is stuttering like ******* on tv to cover their a$$.
    04-16-11 11:23 AM
    I actually like his review, he pointed out the the good and the bad. Hmmmm that kinda sounds like what a good review should be. He stated that somethings were a bit buggy and maybe not 100% optimised yet but we don't know what build he was on nor the release build.
    Atleast he didn't give a A-typical I-product review. He gave a good in-depth review and from a tweet he said
    Ok. So the PlayBook's size/portability is totally winning me over as I use it more. Anybody wanna buy CrackBerry Kevin's iPad/iPad2?
    seems like he likes it. If he didn't like the product I would think he would post something like "OK folks I'm out RIM is obviously failing at all things and I'm off to the closest apple store to become assimilated you'll find me on tipb". Of course he would never do a thing like that .
    Last edited by drethos; 04-16-11 at 11:26 AM.
    04-16-11 11:23 AM
    Let me repeat myself--Kevin has integrity (plus, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose credibility) so he gave a very honest and comprehensive review. Just because you didn't like some of the content of his review, I can't agree with you complaining about it as if he did something wrong.
    Ok, not gonna discuss that.. the only thing I want to make clear is that.. if someone had to highlight the BIG advangtages that Playbook DOES have.. that would be Kevin. So far Ronen from Berryreview had done a great work doing it.

In my opinion, Keving lost all the hype from that September 27th DEVCON. I remember the live keynote... "take that apple"... "ipad killer..." "RIM got exciting again"...
    He didnt have that enthusiasm, and I think he was dissapointed with the playbook, he expected more, although he has the hope that it will mature with all the OTA updates. He had the chance to stand up for the Brand, he choose to be as neutral as the ones that only wanted to look for the bad things. Those who just were analizying the playbook with such as depth, with the only purpose to find flaws. They did, in a review unit. So Kevin. in a review unit.

EDIT: Don't you remember how nervous he was when he played with it at CES? he was shaking!. I think I'm gonna be as nervous as he was when I pick up one.
    Last edited by morpho4444; 04-16-11 at 11:33 AM.
    04-16-11 11:24 AM
    I think one reason why the reviews don't seem overly positive is because the PlayBook has been hyped for so long. There has been a slow drip of information that sites have already somewhat covered, and the things that dripped were most of the PlayBook's advantages.
    If the PlayBook had just been announced and released quickly, the reviews would probably have talked a lot about how awesome bezel gestures and QNX in general are. The idea of the "full web" could have been emphasized a lot more, along with the portability and whatnot.
    The problem is, we've been hearing about these things for months now, so sites don't linger on the old news. As a result, the reviews tend to skip over some of the details that make the PlayBook nice, which makes the review seem more negative.
    I know RIM basically had to make an early announcement and drip out info to maintain some hype, I'm just saying that it would have been awesome if the PlayBook had been announced and released more rapidly.
    howarmat and Machzy like this.
    04-16-11 12:02 PM
    I liked the review and the thoroughness. Sure he spoke some negatives but I assume his audience is mostly Crackberry readers who have all read it before; just not all in one place. If you pay less attention to what he writes and more to what's in the videos, you can see his excitement. The 2 things I took away were that I just ordered a Bluetooth keyboard (thanks to his HDMI video and my excitement about Bridge Browser that I knew nothing about before.

Can't wait for my Playbook!

Posted from my iPad Touch (which I can't wait to ditch for my Playbook!) at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-16-11 12:46 PM
    So Kevin gave an honest review, and he is in the hater category? I really don't think it is a coincidence that many of the reviews had the same thing to say.
    04-16-11 12:48 PM
96 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD