Hi,
    I took advantage this weekend of Kalemsoft Media Player being on sale in the BB Store. As I have always heard good things about it, but its usual pricetag meant it was a bit dear for somehing when I had free apps that were acceptably good. For 2.50 though, I felt it was worth trying out...

Anyway, I'm impressed. Very smooth and powerful. Works very well. I miss the single screen tap to pause/play that mVideo Player has, and IMO, it would be nice to have more in the way of library functions, rather than just browsing through the file system (maybe there are ways of doing this - I see it has favourites lists and playlists, so maybe I should look into those in more details.

My, I do go on. On to my actual questions.
    I see that it has a facility for streaming from a PC/Laptop that requires setting up an account and installing a piece of software on the computer. Before I do that, can anyone tell me what this will actually let me do. Can I view say an iPlayer stream that is running on my PC on the PB screen, in other words can I stream ANYTHING on the PC screen to the PB?
    Also, is there any way of controlling the PC from the PB, or would I still need access to the PC to pause/play etc the stream I was viewing...

Thanks, Chris.
    10-14-13 04:27 AM
    What you will be able to do is to stream audio and video files from the remote PC. This is not a program like Remote Desktop or Splashtop...it doesn't show you your PC screen...it's for streaming media.

Does that help?
    10-14-13 04:47 AM
    What you will be able to do is to stream audio and video files from the remote PC. This is not a program like Remote Desktop or Splashtop...it doesn't show you your PC screen...it's for streaming media.

Does that help?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, I already have a DLNA server running on my PC, and can play my movies and music on the PB, via the DLNA client built into Kalemsoft. Does this other method of streaming do anything that I can't already do with the DLNA setup??

Thanks again.
    10-14-13 06:23 AM
    I have plex installed on my mac, it's free and you can stream to the playbook with kalemsoft.

Z10 Rocking 10.2
    10-14-13 06:29 AM
    While there is not a ONE-touch Pause function, if you Swipe to minimize the app, it immediately pauses. Tap to resume full-size and it starts playing again. I use a bt mouse to control it. The mouse canNOT move the time-slider.
    ChrisMay and jbhq like this.
    10-14-13 10:10 AM
    Does this other method of streaming do anything that I can't already do with the DLNA setup??
    I'll take a wild guess at this, but I suspect that Kalemsoft will allow you to stream media formats that are not natively supported by the Playbook, while your DNLA servers will not. Otherwise, I'm with you in that I prefer mVideo player for various reasons. One is the tap to pause that you mentioned. Others include the fact that it loads faster than Kalemsoft does, it has the screen swipe to go forward or back in the video, plus the bottom bezel swipe to go back, and the fact that it can be used (indirectly) to stream videos over LAN without the need to have a server running on your PC. For playing non supported video formats, though, Kalemsoft is our only option.
    10-14-13 11:41 AM
    I'll take a wild guess at this, but I suspect that Kalemsoft will allow you to stream media formats that are not natively supported by the Playbook, while your DNLA servers will not. Otherwise, I'm with you in that I prefer mVideo player for various reasons. One is the tap to pause that you mentioned. Others include the fact that it loads faster than Kalemsoft does, it has the screen swipe to go forward or back in the video, plus the bottom bezel swipe to go back, and the fact that it can be used (indirectly) to stream videos over LAN without the need to have a server running on your PC. For playing non supported video formats, though, Kalemsoft is our only option.
    Really? Sounds very useful... Please could you let me know how you do this.

Thanks.
    10-15-13 03:11 AM
    Really? Sounds very useful... Please could you let me know how you do this.
    I did say indirectly. You need to access your PC using the Windows share function of one of the android file managers, Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, or X-Plore File Manager, etc., then navigate to the video that you want to stream, then tap on the video. A dialogue will pop up asking you which media player you want to use to open the file.. mVideo player will be among the choices- select it and your video will stream though mVideo, with its tap to pause function and swipe forward and backward functions. The only function that won't work, I believe, is resume.
    10-15-13 03:34 AM
    i also bought the plex app for the playbook and combined with the free app for the pc you can stream movies in your house and also anywhere in the world with a wifi connection from you pc to your playbook. i use kalemsoft sometimes when the plex app has a problem with a file, wich doesnt happen often. by the way, if you have a samsung smart tv or a samsung dvd player, plex also nmakes a free app for that and you can stream movies from the pc directly to the tv without the playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-15-13 04:14 AM
    PACOMAN:
    Ok, I getcha.
    I have got GhostCommander, which I use quite a lot for local file management, and I had discovered that I can use it to play files with mVideoPlayer, but I didn't realise it could access my PC. That could definitely be useful!
    It means I can 'suck' files off the laptop while my partner is using it, rather than having to borrow it in order to copy them over which is what I have done in the past. (which means she has to stop using FaceBook for a period of time, which annoys her!!)
    Will investigate this further when I get home..!
    10-15-13 05:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ok, I already have a DLNA server running on my PC, and can play my movies and music on the PB, via the DLNA client built into Kalemsoft. Does this other method of streaming do anything that I can't already do with the DLNA setup??

Thanks again.
    The KalemSoft server allows you to access your video and audio files from outside your LAN through the identity that you set up.
    By default, your DLNA server only works within your LAN.
    10-15-13 05:32 AM
    i also bought the plex app for the playbook and combined with the free app for the pc you can stream movies in your house and also anywhere in the world with a wifi connection from you pc to your playbook. i use kalemsoft sometimes when the plex app has a problem with a file, wich doesnt happen often. by the way, if you have a samsung smart tv or a samsung dvd player, plex also nmakes a free app for that and you can stream movies from the pc directly to the tv without the playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I have a Sony TV that supports DLNA, which means I can use WindowsMediaPlayer on my laptop to play movies and music directly to the TV over the network (no cables). I think that is very cool, and while I'm young enough to kind of understand how this works, I'm also old enough for it to still seem like sort of magic!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-15-13 05:36 AM
    The KalemSoft server allows you to access your video and audio files from outside your LAN through the identity that you set up.
    By default, your DLNA server only works within your LAN.
    Hi Angus,
    Thanks for clarifying that. I had sort of come to that conclusion last night when I was playing around.
    However, I'm having trouble at the moment getting the Kalemsoft software on my PC to connect. It says I need to open ports 7000 and 7001 in the firewall, and set up port forwarding for those two on the router to my Pc's ip-address, which I have done, but still get a message saying that it has failed the connectivity test (and suggesting I do what I have just described). Anyone else had problems with this? Any tips??
    Thanks.
    10-15-13 05:41 AM
    PACOMAN:
    Ok, I getcha.
    I have got GhostCommander, which I use quite a lot for local file management, and I had discovered that I can use it to play files with mVideoPlayer, but I didn't realise it could access my PC. That could definitely be useful!
    It means I can 'suck' files off the laptop while my partner is using it, rather than having to borrow it in order to copy them over which is what I have done in the past. (which means she has to stop using FaceBook for a period of time, which annoys her!!)
    Will investigate this further when I get home..!
    Ghost commander is excellent - I use it for copying / accessing files on my other PlayBook, or my Z10, and from my PC - which you can do via ftp, sftp, or just simply Windows shares (which I don't actually use on my PCs).
    10-15-13 05:53 AM
    To be able to access files on your PC with Ghost, you need to turn on file sharing on your PC. Go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center on your PC to do so.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-15-13 11:03 AM
    Hi Angus,
    Thanks for clarifying that. I had sort of come to that conclusion last night when I was playing around.
    However, I'm having trouble at the moment getting the Kalemsoft software on my PC to connect. It says I need to open ports 7000 and 7001 in the firewall, and set up port forwarding for those two on the router to my Pc's ip-address, which I have done, but still get a message saying that it has failed the connectivity test (and suggesting I do what I have just described). Anyone else had problems with this? Any tips??
    Thanks.
    Is this a message "Remote Connection Test Failed" you see in a separate window after you start the Kalemsoft server on your PC ? If so it really doesn't seem to stop mine from streaming TV from my PC video card as long as the small server window shows "Ready" on the lower status bar. Have to setup the channel scan before viewing TV though. I have setup my router to accept uPNP connections where it does show the ports 7000-7001 used for the server. I also don't have a problem with streaming via DLNA on the home network. I leave the IP setting blank in the Network Settings dialog on the KalemSoft app on the PB and it finds the one (server/streamer) it needs on the network.

Hope this helps to get things moving for you.
    ChrisMay and BioDave1955 like this.
    10-15-13 01:59 PM
    Is this a message "Remote Connection Test Failed" you see in a separate window after you start the Kalemsoft server on your PC ? If so it really doesn't seem to stop mine from streaming TV from my PC video card as long as the small server window shows "Ready" on the lower status bar. Have to setup the channel scan before viewing TV though. I have setup my router to accept uPNP connections where it does show the ports 7000-7001 used for the server. I also don't have a problem with streaming via DLNA on the home network. I leave the IP setting blank in the Network Settings dialog on the KalemSoft app on the PB and it finds the one (server/streamer) it needs on the network.

Hope this helps to get things moving for you.
    Can you connect to the stream even if you are using your Playbook away from your home network (ie the one your PC is connected to) - say down your local Starbucks. From what I can understand of this error message, I should be (and am) able to stream to my Playbook if it is connected to the same network as the PC, but it may not work if I am using elsewhere, and I haven't had an opportunity to check this yet...
    10-17-13 04:13 AM