How will you justify, as a consumer, buying a PlayBook? I want something between my laptop (poor battery life) and my Bold 9650. I would use it for mostly entertainment and web browsing. I ride the train to work, so it would get heavy use every day. My laptop will still be my main computing device, while my Bold will remain my trusty PDA.

I wouldn't mind holstering my Bold during the workweek (Otterbox Commuter for the weekends) and carrying my PlayBook in a nifty neopreen case. I can always pocket the PlayBook in my jacket, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-11 08:48 AM
    I want a display that is larger than my phone (Bold 9000) and easier to access and use than a netbook. 7" is the perfect size (I made a mock up to be sure of this) I want enough storage to have all of my music with me (about 25 GB). I also often need a display for documents and photos. (I plan to use Documents To Go a LOT) I will also use it as an e-book reader (mainly pdf but if there is a Kindle app i may start buy books from Amazon) a full, but handheld web surfing experience will be nice but not critical. and i want portable video.
    02-23-11 08:58 AM
    I don't "justify" my purchases. why should I ??
    02-23-11 09:13 AM
    I view this thread as a fun way to discuss what we want to use our PBs for. It's not so much defending your decision to purchase as a way to share ideas. I'm hoping to read something that makes me say 'Oh! I never thought of that. hey, another cool thing to do with my PB.'
    Zizzzzy likes this.
    02-23-11 09:16 AM
    I view this thread as a fun way to discuss what we want to use our PBs for. It's not so much defending your decision to purchase as a way to share ideas. I'm hoping to read something that makes me say 'Oh! I never thought of that. hey, another cool thing to do with my PB.'
    Do people REALLY need to be told for what purposes they can use a tablet? I mean, they can't figure that out on their own?
    02-23-11 09:19 AM
    You won't get that, you'll just get more snide remarks. I can't justify a PB, to me a laptop makes more sense.
    02-23-11 09:46 AM
    Dave- many products in the world begin as one idea and end up becoming something entirely different or are extended into uses most people didn't think of. For example, I use aloe vera for hair gel and as a "neosporin.". I think this thread could useful, not to be told what to do with my PB, but to read what others are doing with theirs. Wms3 makes a good point, other people's minds work in different ways and we can glean from that. My PB will be mostly web and entertainment. Some work may be done on it but that will be in the minority.

02-23-11 10:03 AM
    Dave- many products in the world begin as one idea and end up becoming something entirely different or are extended into uses most people didn't think of. For example, I use aloe vera for hair gel and as a "neosporin.". I think this thread could useful, not to be told what to do with my PB, but to read what others are doing with theirs. Wms3 makes a good point, other people's minds work in different ways and we can glean from that. My PB will be mostly web and entertainment. Some work may be done on it but that will be in the minority.

Completely agree. I'm not typically an out-of-the-box thinker, so I'd be curious as well to know what others have earmarked for this thing. I'm planning on using it for browsing when I'm away from my computer, email/messaging when it's convenient, e-books, and maybe a good game or two for killing time. Really getting tired of squinting while flopped on the couch trying to browse on my phone while the wife is across the room living it up on her iPad. )

02-23-11 10:14 AM

Who would have thought that an Apple Newton would end up as a paper weight?
    02-23-11 10:30 AM
    I don't "justify" my purchases. why should I ??
    I usually try to justify my big-ticket luxury purchases. In my mind, the PlayBook is a want, not a need. I was interested to see how other people were "justifying" their PB purchase; maybe they would think of a way to use it that I hadn't considered.

Last edited by xxplosive2k282; 02-23-11 at 10:47 AM.
    02-23-11 10:41 AM
    Justify? Easy. I'm a pilot and fly a fair amount for both personal and business. The tablet will pay for itself in the first year with reduced chart purchases. At least that is what I'm telling the Mrs.
    02-23-11 10:56 AM
    My Consumer Justification is that I want a tablet with Wifi so when at home I can pull media off my home server and watch it in bed instead of putting it on SD cards like I do now on my media tablet,

I don't travel much as a consumer, but that is mostly because I'm a work-o-holic and live traveling for work, the Playbook will make my restaurant stops for playing on the forums easier, as on a sub 5" device I hate navigating tabs, and I can watch the few TV shows I like on a larger screen than my torch.

I can see a lot of uses for the playbook, though 90% of MY reasons for wanting it are work related

02-23-11 11:33 AM
    I get headaches using my torch in a moving vehicle. Usually that comes from eye strain on a small screen. It happened when I had a DS, my psp, one of those mini dvd players, and a few other devises. Those were all 2-4" screens. The playbook at 7" I should be fine with. Plus I don't want to waste money on a laptop the PB is a little more reasonable on price.
    From a profesional stand point its a excelent presentation device and with the right tat apps would be a excelent tool for plumbing(mostly presentation and supplier connections), heating (plethra of possibilities) and solar(same as heat)
    Last edited by soulwolf; 02-23-11 at 11:38 AM.
    02-23-11 11:35 AM
    My Consumer Justification is that I want a tablet with Wifi so when at home I can pull media off my home server and watch it in bed instead of putting it on SD cards like I do now on my media tablet,......
    Ive been wondering about that. Will we be able to access files and folders on a desktop computer via wifi? I sure hope so!
    02-23-11 11:37 AM
    Here are the Pros

* Leave my laptop at the office instead of taking it home everyday.
    * Use as e-reader, browse internet at home-- answer work emails via PB
    * When traveling less than 3 days-- leave laptop--watch movies/music
    *When visiting customers-- much easier to give presentations, display photos.etc.

Cons
    My 11 inch Sony Vaio is lightweight--does everything the PB does except record HD video.
    16 GB? No memory cards... Playbook would only hold temporary files/media.
    New product/new OS---- first time blackberry is doing this... how will it hold up?
    Price

Unknowns--
    There are still some unknown issues about what the PB can/cant do that could sway into Pros /Cons
    Eg. 1. Can i stream media from my computer via wifi on this unit?

I've decided that im going to hold off buying this tablet on the release date and wait to see reactions/reviews from BB users first----

Its PB or nothing.... not interested in any other tablets.....
    Last edited by edaniel1717; 02-23-11 at 11:44 AM.
    02-23-11 11:42 AM
    I've decided that im going to hold off buying this tablet on the release date and wait to see reactions/reviews from BB users first----

Its PB or nothing.... not interested in any other tablets.....
    Not me! I'm ready to advance order right now! Normally I take a pretty conservative approach to new tech. My byword is 'never be the first kid on the block with the new toy.' But from what I have seen in demos the PB will do everything I want it to do, so for once I'm going to take the plunge as soon as possible!
    02-23-11 11:55 AM
    Do people REALLY need to be told for what purposes they can use a tablet? I mean, they can't figure that out on their own?
    Dave you're turning int a crotchety old man, just like me, LOL.
    02-23-11 12:20 PM
    How will you justify, as a consumer, buying a PlayBook? I want something between my laptop (poor battery life) and my Bold 9650. I would use it for mostly entertainment and web browsing. I ride the train to work, so it would get heavy use every day. My laptop will still be my main computing device, while my Bold will remain my trusty PDA.

I wouldn't mind holstering my Bold during the workweek (Otterbox Commuter for the weekends) and carrying my PlayBook in a nifty neopreen case. I can always pocket the PlayBook in my jacket, too.

First off, i have a knack for buying the first generation of something that looks awesome (minor setback with the storm1 :P)

Second, i want a powerful, yet small device to use in class instead of whipping out my 17" studio 17 and balancing it on the smallest desks known to man.

third, it's just awesome. i like awesome things. i buy them.

fourth, maybe deeeeeeeeep inside i want to out-do friends with ipads :P keeping up with the jones' !!!!!
    02-23-11 12:44 PM
    One place to do everything... work and play. There's my biggest reason for wanting one.
    02-23-11 01:18 PM
    I am more in the office now so instead of getting time on the home laptop pulling out the Playbook will be better. Our webmail from work is not as easy to work with as outlook or my Blackberry. I like entertainment and reading on an airplane so pdf/e-reader will come in handy with this device.

In fact just this week my wife said that maybe we should get an ipad. "Nope I have something better coming." Later in the night she said she needs a better way to look at her calender on her Bold. hmmm I might end up getting 2 of these if we are fighting over it.

I usually don't have to justify my purchases but it makes it nice when we can both use the stuff we buy. My 20-30 power tools have little use to my wife but she doesn't care since I use them to make our house nicer. Now if I wanted to buy a new TV I might have a limit placed. Both cost and size
    02-23-11 01:36 PM
    I want to use it as a digital photo frame.

No just kidding, day to day tasks on the road. Typing in college, surfing the web, watching movies on the road on a larger screen.
    02-23-11 01:45 PM
    I have money and I want to spend it on something I don't really need. That all the justification I need.
    02-23-11 01:47 PM
    Dave you're turning int a crotchety old man, just like me, LOL.
    "turning"??? LOL! How about "turned"?

I guess I am miffed about how people here congratulate others on a purchase (another thread), and why people care what others like or buy, and why people ask others to justify purchases, and why people are looking for purposes to buy a potential item. Seems like an awful lot of peer dependency, if anyone asks me.

Having said all that, I see the value in a forum helping with product problems, or for gleaning more INFO (not speculation or rumor) about products. The rest is just so much wasted bandwidth, including my own crotchety missives.

When all is said and done, IT'S JUST A PHONE! (or it's "JUST A TABLET"). This isn't LIFE. It's STUFF.
    02-23-11 02:44 PM
    turning into a crotchety old man
    Is that code for "in urgent need of being put on an ice floe"?
    02-23-11 02:53 PM
    "turning"??? LOL! How about "turned"?

I guess I am miffed about how people here congratulate others on a purchase (another thread), and why people care what others like or buy, and why people ask others to justify purchases, and why people are looking for purposes to buy a potential item. Seems like an awful lot of peer dependency, if anyone asks me.

Having said all that, I see the value in a forum helping with product problems, or for gleaning more INFO (not speculation or rumor) about products. The rest is just so much wasted bandwidth, including my own crotchety missives.

When all is said and done, IT'S JUST A PHONE! (or it's "JUST A TABLET"). This isn't LIFE. It's STUFF.
    From one crotchety old phart to another, I can understand your impatience with such things. But I think in this case the OP isn't looking for justification in the traditional sense of the word as much as they're just wondering what for and how people are planning on using this thing. When it ever shows up.

On the other hand, if I'm misinterpreting and he really means how would I justify laying out $500 or more on a device that I clearly do not need, well that's none of your goddamm business, junior.

I don't think that's the case, but if it is, that's what I've got to say. (In my best Eddie Izzard look...) But I don't think it is.

02-23-11 03:02 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD