03-14-14 06:55 PM
282 ... 23456 ...
tools
    So I was bored and downloaded this browser, figuring its just another lame app for the playbook that I'll be deleting .... And WTF?!?!! This browser ROCKS. All of a sudden my stumbling like a drunk Playbook is a friggin surfin speed demon without the spasmodic checkerboarding! You mean to tell me that Blackberry has allowed us to suffer since it rolled out the playbook when it could have applied some modest development resources, and it took an independent developer to come along and kicked aside the native joke of a browser, well that just makes me mad. Thanks RIM (no update for you, you remain RIM) for the agony and arrogance.I'll put money on it that they can throw a little cash at the problem and update bridge to get playbook compatible with z10 too but now they would look incredibly lame if they did.
    Last edited by califlefty; 07-22-13 at 02:36 AM.
    07-22-13 01:13 AM
    So I was bored and downloaded this browser, figuring its just another lame app for the playbook that I'll be deleting .... And WTF?!?!! This browser ROCKS. All of a sudden my stumbling like a drunk Playbook is a friggin surfin speed demon without the spasmodic checkerboarding! You mean to tell me that Blackberry has allowed us to suffer since it rolled out the playbook when it could have applied some modest development resources, and it took an independent developer to come along and kicked aside the native joke of a browser, well that just makes me mad. Thanks RIM (no update for you, you remain RIM) for the agony and arrogance.I'll put money on it that they can throw a little cash at the problem and update bridge to get playbook compatible with BB10 too but now they would look incredibly lame if they did.
    You are a bit late to the mad party. Lol!! Makes you wonder when the ceo said BB 10 can't work on playbook doesn't it?
    07-22-13 01:23 AM
    Makes you wonder when the ceo said BB 10 can't work on playbook doesn't it?
    No, it doesn't. At least I do not wonder about this, as writing a killer app for the PB OS and adapting a whole OS to the PB hardware are two different tasks altogether. As to why Blackberry never got around improving on the default browser, is a troublesome question in itself. The whole BB10 drama, however, is a separate problem IMHO. One with a lot of unanswered question, but a separate problem nonetheless.

And before I forget: Origami indeed is a killer app.
    07-22-13 03:52 AM
    Forget it. I am a dingbat. That is obviously the settings for whwn booster is on. Thanls for the help. I feel like a fool.
    You can also decide in settings whether booster mode disables Flash, or javascript, or both.
    07-22-13 04:52 AM
    07-22-13 08:12 AM
    Ditto.
    07-22-13 10:11 AM
    I did and everyone using this should too.
    07-22-13 06:11 PM
    Great browser!

When you have individual devs or small teams of devs, you can crank out some pretty impressive apps. God only knows why BlackBerry thinks it would cost millions of dollars to polish up the PlayBook. BlackBerry could pay the Origami Browser devs to licence their browser as the default PB browser and could do it for a fraction of the cost it would be to pay their own bloated dev teams.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-22-13 06:47 PM
    I am actually enjoying my PlayBook now due to new browser.
    07-22-13 07:09 PM
    Just stopping by to say thanks to everyone for the support. I am really glad to know that many PB users are enjoying the browser. This whole thing started as my personal project, and the only reason it came this far is because of the community support. So my sincere appreciation goes to everyone

I will be setting up an official support thread here on the CB forum sometime soon. Once it is ready, I will cordially invite everyone to the thread where we can discuss further development plans for OrigamiBrowser.

Last but not least, thanks to bambinoitaliano for spreading the word. I hope to see you all soon.
    07-22-13 07:25 PM
    Thanks again!
    07-22-13 07:52 PM
    I'm still getting some checkerboarding. I had a massive attack this morning as I was checking facebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the browser...streets ahead of the baked in one. I have just noticed that the checkboarding hasn't been eliminated.
    07-22-13 07:57 PM
    Just stopping by to say thanks to everyone for the support. I am really glad to know that many PB users are enjoying the browser. This whole thing started as my personal project, and the only reason it came this far is because of the community support. So my sincere appreciation goes to everyone

I will be setting up an official support thread here on the CB forum sometime soon. Once it is ready, I will cordially invite everyone to the thread where we can discuss further development plans for OrigamiBrowser.

Last but not least, thanks to bambinoitaliano for spreading the word. I hope to see you all soon.
    Thanks to you, I am sure everyone would agree with me, playbook owners were really down after the bb10 cancellation. Your browser has really given people hope that the PB is still an awesome piece of hardware with capable software even today. I've used slower less refined browsers on higher spec android hardware. Amazing you have been able to really harness the power of the PB. Something which BB devs have been unable to do.

If the playbook was loaded with great software like Origami from the start perhaps things could have turned out different. But even with. BlackBerry pulling the plug on the PB I hope we can all rally around and help out the community which I am sure is a couple of million users strong.

Also one thing I have noticed from BB users they will buy apps and support the developers if they have tried to better the user experience and populate the app world with quality apps.

I hope we can inspire other developers to come onboard. Clearly BB have washed their hands of the playbook but it doesn't mean we should let it sink. For me it still has the best implementation of multitasking on any mobile platform. It now has a kick *** browser with Origami. The playbook is far from broken and far from dead.

I really do enjoy using this tablet and I am sure many others do too. We don't need BB10 to complete it as the core of the system is there we just need some quality useful applications which will help extend the life of the PB for a little longer.

I think we can show BB that they were wrong for killing it off. Was considering buying another tablet but why? The user experience still for me kicks the competition away. So you know what I will proudly use it until it's last breath.
    FF22, dphjeff, tstrike34 and 1 others like this.
    07-22-13 08:36 PM
    Thanks for your contribution shun! Make a Bbm channel!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 08:37 PM
    I'm still getting some checkerboarding. I had a massive attack this morning as I was checking facebook.

Don't get me wrong, I love the browser...streets ahead of the baked in one. I have just noticed that the checkboarding hasn't been eliminated.
    I'm just wondering how much of the checkerboarding is app-related and how much is site-related. I know that coming to Crackberry was one of the worst checkerboarding for me with the native browser as well as force closes. I suppose java and flash play a role, too. Maybe pcshun can explain it to us. He certainly was able to get most of it out.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    07-22-13 09:09 PM
    I'm just wondering how much of the checkerboarding is app-related and how much is site-related. I know that coming to Crackberry was one of the worst checkerboarding for me with the native browser as well as force closes. I suppose java and flash play a role, too. Maybe pcshun can explain it to us. He certainly was able to get most of it out.
    I was wondering the same thing, just thought I'd put it out there in case some users picked it up expecting it to be the equivalent of a desktop browser and were suddenly disappointed.
    07-22-13 10:22 PM
    I have to agree. Of all the sites I visit, crackberry seems to give me the most checkered board.
    07-22-13 10:51 PM
    Expecting a site like Facebook not to checkerboard? Every time you scroll down it needs to update causing that checkerboard effect.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-22-13 11:47 PM
    I suspect the checker boarding is down to the javascript system used in the underling browser engine. Origami uses the same system, but has been written far more efficiently, hence the reduced checker bording. I don't think it can be elliminated altogether. I have seen it too on the odd occaision, no where near as much as on the original browser.
    domex and bambinoitaliano like this.
    07-23-13 01:41 AM
    WOW - like WOW.

BBRY should hang their collective heads in shame, 1 person has done what BBRY's software team could not or would not do in over two years.

My hat is off to you sir - and i will be donating as soon as I stop typing this.

Out of interest, what software tools are you using to develop this ??
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-23-13 02:41 AM
    Donated - work like this deserves reward.

Any plans for anything else ??
    07-23-13 02:44 AM
    Make a Bbm channel!
    NO! These kinds of PB related discussion should be accessible to ALL PB users, not just the ones who own (Blackberry) smartphones...
    uncle_numpty likes this.
    07-23-13 03:10 AM
    This is an awesome browser!!!! Well done!!!!
    07-23-13 05:07 AM
    A perfect browser experience. Congratulations to the dev(s)!

BlackBerry should buy this browser and make it the stock browser of the PlayBook. And they should pay big time for it, because it gives new life to the tablet.

I cannot help to say it again: Congratulations to the dev(s), and Thank You!

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-23-13 06:22 AM
    Downloaded this browser - it is fantastic, really good! Now my default browser. Will contribute.

Have a tiny matter to jot down as I may forget them before I see the support thread:the address bar can be a bit difficult to highlight specific words/move the cursor around etc, could this please be improved?

Also has anyone figured how to go to your browsing history?
    07-23-13 06:49 AM
282 ... 23456 ...