No worries, I knew I was going to get some of those comments... I got a great deal on the pb so in the end that's why I got it... And really I have used one here and there before and did like it - just never really compared devices that closely... It is still a good device though...

I wasn't complaining as much as just pointing things out to see if anyone had any constructive comments - maybe I was missing something...

I knew about the lack of apps and Netflix etc... before hand , which is why I was hesitant at first, but decided to go ahead because a) the price was awesome (64mb ver too) and b) as for Netflix, we have other devices to watch netflix on so not a biggie for me, but likely for soem people is a deal breaker. I was just sayin', tis all...

I have heard that bb10 is really good - I just hope it's good enough to start attracting more developers and users alike... I believe in RIM, I just think they have some rather large hurdles to overcome - and when you do a side by side comparison the pb functionality in OS 2 does fall short in some areas... I hope they can pull it off...

Overall, I still love the device. I'll live with it and like it for what it is...

PS... Oh ya, I did finally get the hotmail set up but took some friggin around... which I didn;t have to do on the droid... Just sayin'

Cheers!
    Last edited by clankmaster; 09-13-12 at 11:37 PM.
    09-13-12 11:32 PM
    Would be good to know what area the PB "falls short"..... would make for an interesting thread....
    09-13-12 11:43 PM
    Vent on Facebook.. Not a forum focused, maintained, ran and visited by people that love the brand of device in question.

Unhappy with a purchase? take it back and leave it at that.

Do people go on a nikey forum when they dislike their new shoes? or go online when they ate a bad apple or got food poisoning from mc donalds? no.. they STFU and deal with life and go on..

I don't get why personal electronics has such mystical quality that drives people to post on a forum about how awesome or ty something that they have/haven't bought.

Apple drives me nuts though.. the IPHONE 5 is such a facepalm as far as innovation and using the latests in mobile tech, yet people, everyone, says its awesome and they want it so bad. People can't think or research things for themselves. I had the iphone 4 for a year and then a 9900... now i'm on a s3 and it BLOWS all phones away.. Iphone 5 included (specs, customization, features, camera, notification options, nfc, sharing etc etc)

But the iphone 5 skews their aspect ratio and changes makes it a bit thinner, a bit fast and s over all the docking stations you already spent money on, and wow its the greatest thing in the world.. It gets to me.

And there you have it.. i just did the same thing you did.. Except i bashed the iphone in an blackberry forum.. see the difference?
    09-13-12 11:49 PM
    Would be good to know what area the PB "falls short"..... would make for an interesting thread....
    it wouldn't be fair... Its shorter then other tablets and because its so skinny it falls over when you try an stand it up. It would be more mean then interesting.

poor playbook
    09-13-12 11:50 PM
    I touched on a few things earlier but it's little things I've noticed. I suspect bb10 will likely change a lot but for now here is a small list of things I have noticed...

1) Speed of connection when direct connected to a PC using the usb connection

2) THey should have made sure that simple things like setting up a hotmail account were just that... simple - no screwing around like I had to do. My droid was simple and I configured the accounts on each device at the same time basically.

3) The keyboard could have some nicer features. for example, my droid phone has the four arrow keys and a ".com" button - really nice!

4) home and back buttons built onto the device - not part of the touch screen - just a nice quick way to navigate. I do like the pb navigation with the swiping up etc... though...

5) User customizable screens. For instance, I have one, my daughter has one, my gfriend uses another etc... we each have our own app shortcuts on them (like logging into a pc using different profiles) You can easily switch back and forth between these screens...

6) Can you add an SD card to the device somehow?? That would be nice for those that download a ton of movies!

Maybe some of the above is available already and if they are, pls let me know as I am a pb newbie... I guess they aren't what you might call shortcomings, "nice to have's" more than anything...

Cheers
    Last edited by clankmaster; 09-14-12 at 12:30 AM.
    09-14-12 12:28 AM
    Recommendation: spend the time going through the newbie stickies thread. I discovered it after a year and I found many new things there.

Suggestion: before just saying or complaining, search in this site. When I search on the Web, invariably crackberry.com comes up first. This is a community of helpful people. It's great fun.
    clankmaster and Heavens1 like this.
    09-14-12 12:47 AM
    Vent on Facebook.. Not a forum focused, maintained, ran and visited by people that love the brand of device in question.

Do people go on a nikey forum when they dislike their new shoes? or go online when they ate a bad apple or got food poisoning from mc donalds? no.. they STFU and deal with life and go on..

I don't get why personal electronics has such mystical quality that drives people to post on a forum about how awesome or ty something that they have/haven't bought.

Apple drives me nuts though.. the IPHONE 5 is such a facepalm as far as innovation and using the latests in mobile tech, yet people, everyone, says its awesome and they want it so bad. People can't think or research things for themselves. I had the iphone 4 for a year and then a 9900... now i'm on a s3 and it BLOWS all phones away.. Iphone 5 included (specs, customization, features, camera, notification options, nfc, sharing etc etc)

But the iphone 5 skews their aspect ratio and changes makes it a bit thinner, a bit fast and s over all the docking stations you already spent money on, and wow its the greatest thing in the world.. It gets to me.

And there you have it.. i just did the same thing you did.. Except i bashed the iphone in an blackberry forum.. see the difference?
    It's amazing what you can do while "on the can" eh? LOL! I've never used an iphone or ipad so can't really comment on their stuff. I do dislike my gfriends MAC though, I'll take my Windows 7 PC anyday... but that's just me, others might say the opposite and to each their own... I wasn't trying to bash the device - just wanted to list some things that I'm sure are the same things that lots of other people have mentioned as well. For me, being Canadian and loving RIM in general, I just want to see them succeed and prosper. Whether we like it or not,they are facing tough times. Part of the reason I bought the playbook is because I thought I would do my part to help a Canadian company over buying another piece of foreign.... stuff. Kinda like buying stuff uptown at the local store over going to wallmart...

Was I a little tough on them? You betcha, but we need to be tough to drive them forward to success. If we are all complacent, RIM may not work as hard as they need to in order to achieve their customers wishes - and lets face it, it's all about the customer in the end. No customer,no company. No "happy" customer, no company... eventually...

ALso, I was hoping that with all the knowledge on this forum, maybe some folks might have posted some other links to apps, games, documentation that they may be aware of that could help me out...

ANyway, long story short, I do love the device, would be ncie to have more apps/games etc.. (to keep my little girl happy - and off my freaking phone) but I like everyone else am anxiously awaiting bb10 to see what it brings to the table.. Heck I may even throw out my android and go to a BB if it's good enough! I have a couple friends that work for RIM in waterloo and for their sakes as well as everyone else there,I hope that bb10 revitalizes the company and they can push everyone else out of the way!

Wouldn't that be nice?
    Tim1131 likes this.
    09-14-12 12:47 AM
    Do people go on a nikey forum when they dislike their new shoes? or go online when they ate a bad apple or got food poisoning from mc donalds? no.. they STFU and deal with life and go on.
    lol. I agree with you but yes people go online and whine about everything. the internet has raised the art of whining and complaining to a level heretofore unimagined. and yes people whine about everything online. they slam restaurants with hateful reviews because of one bad experience, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Barljo and Hgouck like this.
    09-14-12 12:59 AM
    No worries, I knew I was going to get some of those comments... I got a great deal on the pb so in the end that's why I got it... And really I have used one here and there before and did like it - just never really compared devices that closely... It is still a good device though...

I wasn't complaining as much as just pointing things out to see if anyone had any constructive comments - maybe I was missing something...

I knew about the lack of apps and Netflix etc... before hand , which is why I was hesitant at first, but decided to go ahead because a) the price was awesome (64mb ver too) and b) as for Netflix, we have other devices to watch netflix on so not a biggie for me, but likely for soem people is a deal breaker. I was just sayin', tis all...

I have heard that bb10 is really good - I just hope it's good enough to start attracting more developers and users alike... I believe in RIM, I just think they have some rather large hurdles to overcome - and when you do a side by side comparison the pb functionality in OS 2 does fall short in some areas... I hope they can pull it off...

Overall, I still love the device. I'll live with it and like it for what it is...

PS... Oh ya, I did finally get the hotmail set up but took some friggin around... which I didn;t have to do on the droid... Just sayin'

Cheers!
    Welcome to the CrackBerry forums! Hope you enjoy it and find it helpful here

And it is just wrong on RIMs part IMO.. They never advertised the 64 "mb" edition of the PlayBook to me
    09-14-12 03:44 AM
    Its 64gb not mb.

Just give it some time. Eventually you'll have a moment where you'll realise how awesome the Playbook is and you'll never complain about it ever again. Hopefully.
    09-14-12 04:45 AM
    I touched on a few things earlier but it's little things I've noticed. I suspect bb10 will likely change a lot but for now here is a small list of things I have noticed...

1) Speed of connection when direct connected to a PC using the usb connection

2) THey should have made sure that simple things like setting up a hotmail account were just that... simple - no screwing around like I had to do. My droid was simple and I configured the accounts on each device at the same time basically.

3) The keyboard could have some nicer features. for example, my droid phone has the four arrow keys and a ".com" button - really nice!

4) home and back buttons built onto the device - not part of the touch screen - just a nice quick way to navigate. I do like the pb navigation with the swiping up etc... though...

5) User customizable screens. For instance, I have one, my daughter has one, my gfriend uses another etc... we each have our own app shortcuts on them (like logging into a pc using different profiles) You can easily switch back and forth between these screens...

6) Can you add an SD card to the device somehow?? That would be nice for those that download a ton of movies!

Maybe some of the above is available already and if they are, pls let me know as I am a pb newbie... I guess they aren't what you might call shortcomings, "nice to have's" more than anything...

Cheers
    Did you not know the answers to most of those questions before you bought?

1) USB connection speed? Really? Do other products have faster connections?

2) No idea what you mean about Hotmail difficulties; the Accounts tab in the Control Panel doesn't seem any more difficult than the interface on, say, the iPad.

3) If you'll notice, the keyboard changes with context. In a password field, for instance, it will include a row of numbers across the top. If you're typing in the address bar of the web browser, there is a little .com button in the bottom right. Hold it down to get .net, .org, .ca, and others.

4) The whole point of the UI is to avoid the need for hard "home" and "back" buttons. If you've become dependent on them then Apple and Google have trained you well.

5) "User-customizable screens" brings up the idea of profiles. Profiles aren't a bad idea, but the whole notion of a tablet is that it's a PERSONAL device; ideally, everyone has their own. Profiles mean things like logon screens and authentication methods, all of which get in the way of doing whatever it is you're picking up your tablet to do. I'll admit, I'm going to be waiting in line for the Surface Pro whenever it shows up, and I'll share it with my family, but I'll still have my Playbook for my own stuff.

6) No, the Playbook doesn't have an SD slot, and I'll admit I'd like one too. I'm sure there are many iPad, Nexus, and Kindle Fire owners who wish for the same. Since the BB10 phones definitely WILL support microSD, I hope that an updated tablet will too.

Cheers
    jpash549 likes this.
    09-14-12 12:26 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry forums! Hope you enjoy it and find it helpful here

And it is just wrong on RIMs part IMO.. They never advertised the 64 "mb" edition of the PlayBook to me
    Sorry, typo... I'm not a complete , I meant 64 gb... But I also understand your sense of humour!!! LOL!
    09-14-12 04:42 PM
    Did you not know the answers to most of those questions before you bought?

1) USB connection speed? Really? Do other products have faster connections?

2) No idea what you mean about Hotmail difficulties; the Accounts tab in the Control Panel doesn't seem any more difficult than the interface on, say, the iPad.

3) If you'll notice, the keyboard changes with context. In a password field, for instance, it will include a row of numbers across the top. If you're typing in the address bar of the web browser, there is a little .com button in the bottom right. Hold it down to get .net, .org, .ca, and others.

4) The whole point of the UI is to avoid the need for hard "home" and "back" buttons. If you've become dependent on them then Apple and Google have trained you well.

5) "User-customizable screens" brings up the idea of profiles. Profiles aren't a bad idea, but the whole notion of a tablet is that it's a PERSONAL device; ideally, everyone has their own. Profiles mean things like logon screens and authentication methods, all of which get in the way of doing whatever it is you're picking up your tablet to do. I'll admit, I'm going to be waiting in line for the Surface Pro whenever it shows up, and I'll share it with my family, but I'll still have my Playbook for my own stuff.

6) No, the Playbook doesn't have an SD slot, and I'll admit I'd like one too. I'm sure there are many iPad, Nexus, and Kindle Fire owners who wish for the same. Since the BB10 phones definitely WILL support microSD, I hope that an updated tablet will too.

Cheers
    I had used a playbook before sparingly - just tinkering on one of my friends for a brief period of time. I did like the device though... I didn't know the answers to these questions before buying, but I bought the device because I got a great deal - and it's more for my more for my daughter to use than me... but now that it's here. I'm using it too!

Some answer to your questions...

1) My droid phone is really fast when I connect it, and my previous phone was as well. Yes, USB is typically slower but I use many USB device for various things at work, and they all function quite well. I just noticed that the playbook seemed a little more sluggish than what I was used to from most USB devices (not all) when connected

2) I should ahve elaborated... The UI for account config is fine, it just kept erroring out when trying to create the account - and I had made sure everything was fine. Finally I discovered by searching that you had to front-end the "m.hotmail.com" server name with either "blu-", "col-", "stn-", "bay-" (and a few others I can't remember). SO your server name would look like "blu-m.hotmail.com".The problem was you had to try them one at a time until you finally found the one your account is connected to!! When I set up the account on my droid, I didn't have to do that...

3) Cool, I hadn;t noticed that. I'll check it out tonight.

4) Yes they did... Like a monkey!

5) Even using it just myself , it would be nice to have a few different screen you could load certain types of apps up on (like a few "favourites" type of screens.) I agree, profiles mean multi-users on your device... and typically you don;t want that! Unfortunately in my family, that's the way it works - primarily due to cash flow limitations. I don't even get full use of my phone!!! Grrrrrrr

6) maybe one of these days...

Thx for your help!
    09-14-12 05:07 PM

I was unaware this forum is exclusively meant for positive-spin comments about the BlackBerry PlayBook. Maybe the moderators can post a sticky with "POSITIVE ONLY COMMENTS ALLOWED" and update the Terms of Service to reflect this oversight.

You, sir, shall be figuratively slapped across the cheek with one glove. Duel at dawn. You choose the weapons.

I am unhappy with your message. Whom do I see about a refund?
    09-14-12 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD