Did he say about 50 thousand apps, or did I not hear it right?

Update: video embedded now...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/l...h-rims-alec-s/

Update 2: Ok, so the 50K sounds like total # in the App World but at around 3:45 into the video I think he does mention "thousands" of android apps... doesn't he?
    Last edited by fj_cruiser; 01-11-12 at 06:19 PM.
    01-11-12 02:59 PM
    I assume you're referring to the engadget interview..?

And I wonder how many of those apps include the Book Apps that flood the market every once in a while.

Biggest thing I noticed is that he said "devices" when they asked about the rumor of a single phone in the future. Hopefully he was trying to hint at something.
    01-11-12 03:14 PM
    I assume you're referring to the engadget interview..?

And I wonder how many of those apps include the Book Apps that flood the market every once in a while.

Biggest thing I noticed is that he said "devices" when they asked about the rumor of a single phone in the future. Hopefully he was trying to hint at something.
    Yes, the Engadget interview! And I cant find the video now... the "get link" functionality gave me a URL to some granny dancing LOL

I had expected the interview to be more serious business, and was kinda disappointed the interviewers didn't use his time efficiently....
    01-11-12 03:35 PM
    I was under the impression there are 50K apps in BlackBerry App World...(which includes BBOS apps and playbook apps). I haven't listened to the interview yet though.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-11-12 03:38 PM
    ^^ i think you are correct, those are about the total number now available. this includes themes, books and wallpapers i think
    01-11-12 05:43 PM
    He seems to confirm that Facebook, along with LinkedIn and Twitter, is integrated to native PIM at 1:32.
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-11-12 08:49 PM
    He seems to confirm that Facebook, along with LinkedIn and Twitter, is integrated to native PIM at 1:32.
    Facebook is in there, but hasn't been announced or demonstrated officially yet, presumably simply because it's not completely done (or stable?) and they don't want to commit to things for the release in February that they're not absolutely certain they will be able to include.

The PIM code itself, in the beta (where regular users can't see it), has long had all three, and some others they haven't discussed publicly yet.

Basically, even though it might in the end not make it into 2.0 for the February release, it's definitely planned and would come out as soon thereafter as they could manage.
    01-11-12 08:54 PM
    Facebook is in there, but hasn't been announced or demonstrated officially yet, presumably simply because it's not completely done (or stable?) and they don't want to commit to things for the release in February that they're not absolutely certain they will be able to include.

The PIM code itself, in the beta (where regular users can't see it), has long had all three, and some others they haven't discussed publicly yet.

Basically, even though it might in the end not make it into 2.0 for the February release, it's definitely planned and would come out as soon thereafter as they could manage.
    Care to elaborate?
    01-11-12 08:58 PM
    That Myriam is horrible looking... I wouldn't do her with my enemies you know what!
    01-11-12 09:01 PM
    Did he say about 50 thousand apps, or did I not hear it right?

Update: video embedded now...

Live from the Engadget CES Stage: an interview with RIM (update: video embedded) -- Engadget

Update 2: Ok, so the 50K sounds like total # in the App World but at around 3:45 into the video I think he does mention "thousands" of android apps... doesn't he?
    Whew!!!! I couldn't watch that but a minute. Who in the heck is that ugly woman( I guess it was a woman ) couldn't understand nothing she was saying. I think I will go throw up now....
    01-13-12 08:48 AM
    That Myriam is horrible looking... I wouldn't do her with my enemies you know what!
    Whew!!!! I couldn't watch that but a minute. Who in the heck is that ugly woman( I guess it was a woman ) couldn't understand nothing she was saying. I think I will go throw up now....
    The last person I heard make a statement like that was the biggest, fattest, most hairy slob in the building. I had to tell him to look in a mirror before passing judgement on someone else.
    01-13-12 09:13 AM
    Will Exchange/ActiveSync work in the native email client. I have a hosted Exchange account(Sherweb) that I would like to connect to directly without having to go thru BB servers.
    01-13-12 10:19 AM
    From what it looks like yes it will be able to on the native email on the PB
    slbailey1 and rkennedy01 like this.
    01-13-12 10:25 AM
    50000 may be included BBOS apps?

edit: Would not be surprised at 1000 of andriod apps... handsters been submitting them in by the dozens each day in appworld (it will only show up for u if ur on OS 2.0)
    01-13-12 10:51 AM
    There's a CrackBerry video with Michael Clewely which digs deeper into ActiveSync and the NOC stuff.

It wasn't entirely clear, but it appears that when you enter your initial email credentials (user name and password), it hands that off to the NOC which then attempts to be "smart" and figure out what settings are needed. Michael seemed to be saying that after that's figured out, it sends the relevant settings back to the PlayBook which would then, I assume, use them to make direct connections in future.

If that's how it works, I have a mild concern... I run my own email server and have never had to worry about another entity having my password. This sounds like, at least temporarily, my password will be sent in the clear to RIM's NOC, where it could potentially be seen by administrators, or logged in a debug log file. Not really what I would like to have happen...
    01-13-12 11:01 AM
    Honestly i would hope that this does not run thru RIMs servers. There is no need to at all. It adds extra hardware that RIM would have to maintain. I still think RIM is over complicating this entire thing if this does go thru their servers and such
    01-13-12 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD